• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 TonyKL

TonyKL

V6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 09:14 AM

Hi, I'm off to France in a weeks time so no time to get my car to Vauxhall, it's going to Thorneys mid-week but not sure this is something he would do and it might cost a lot of money in investigation time. Is there a common fault somewhere with the wires/connection blocks or anything that I can try? Does the car need to be running for the reverse light to work? Or can I just turn the ignition on and leave the car in reverse and have a play that way? Any advice would be great... Thanks, Tony

#2 TonyKL

TonyKL

V6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 10:45 AM

Had a look in the boot, swapped the connections for the reverse light and the fog light (simple connection blocks) and the reserve light works fine (powered from the fog switch) so much be something else. Going to check the fuse but AFAIK that is shared with the brake lights...

#3 TonyKL

TonyKL

V6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 11:02 AM

Nope, fuse is fine :( I'm out, don't know where else to look :( Help, anyone?

#4 convict

convict

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 11:25 AM

Nope, fuse is fine :(
I'm out, don't know where else to look :(

Help, anyone?

Had a problem like this with my old metro. was the microswitch in the gearbox itself that failed, so no power to reverse light.

I presume the vx has the same setup, might be something to look at

#5 vee ex

vee ex

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 11:48 AM

By coincidence just had my VX serviced by Plans (excellent BTW thumbsup ) and they pointed out the reverse light is not working. As this is a warranty issue for my car I'll be taking it in to Vauxhall (God help me). Plans said it was the reverse light switch on the gearbox at fault. Don't know how difficult this is to rectify, but hope this helps. regards Pete

#6 TonyKL

TonyKL

V6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 11:50 AM

Thanks for that, probably the same. decided to forget about it as i've just found out some doodah has broken my light cluster...

#7 Leo

Leo

• Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 08:38 PM

Where abouts on the gearbox is this switch?

#8 Gugaboy

Gugaboy

• Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 07:57 PM

So, what was it then? Same thing? Switch on the gearbox?

#9 TonyKL

TonyKL

V6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 06:54 AM

Wish I knew. Reverse light still doesnt work :P Not got time to sort it out or take it to Vauxhall so it's going to wait until after my trip. Who needs reverse anyway?

#10 monty77

monty77

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 07:58 AM

You sure the switch is in the gearbox itself? Not part of the gearchange assembly? Could be worth taking the centre console off to check around the lever for a switch....I've seen it there on other cars. Adam

#11 meldert

meldert

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 09:27 AM

I have the exact same problem... Have'nt fixed it yet, will try to do it myself since I'm out of warranty... The switch is appearently place somewere on the gearbox itself...

#12 philc

philc

• 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 09:35 AM

The reverse light switch is screwed into the back of the gearbox, on the lh side as you look forwards from the back of the car. It is above the LH driveshaft inner gaiter :D

#13 Gugaboy

Gugaboy

• Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 01:54 PM

HI philc and welcome to the site, Your views will be more than welcome if you can explain that better to us. I'm a bit dumb on this, but I want to put some effort in. Don't want to take it to a garage and be charged an arm and a leg for a 5 min job. how can I get to this bit? removing the undertray? Which part we need? This seems like a VERY common problem. Well, this is the thing with handbuilt cars anyway. Comments would be appreciated.

#14 garyk220

garyk220

VX parts all sold, saving for replacement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 02:38 PM

Here's the image from TIS. Not very helpful, but it shows the location of the wiring multiplug connector as described above (viewed from above leaning over the passenger side rear wheel arch... the fuel cut-out device is shown in the bottom right-hand corner for reference). Switch is held in by a bolt torqued to 20Nm.

Attached Files

#15 mcarrick69

mcarrick69

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 02:39 PM

I've just had this done on a vectra V6 and it certainly seems to be a comon problem with them. Vauxhall supplied the part (Reverse switch - £6 IIRC). A machanic friend swapped it over in a matter of minutes. I just know it was on the gearbox somewhere. Buy the part and see if it resembles anythin you can see.

#16 Leo

Leo

• Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 09:07 PM

Is this it?

Attached Files

#17 TonyKL

TonyKL

V6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 11:20 AM

Anyone know how easy this is to do? I'd much rather not take my car to Vauxhall but I do have warranty so ..... chinky chinky

#18 JohnyB

JohnyB

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 11:23 AM

had the same problem .. it was the switch. It costs just about nothing and they changed it on mine when i had my oil changed.

#19 Jase_MK

Jase_MK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 11:25 AM

Noticed mine not working last week. Assumed it was a bulb but I guess it could be this. Arsing buggery bollocks. Yet another thing to fix :rolleyes:

#20 TonyKL

TonyKL

V6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 11:30 AM

Trouble is, would vauxhall know what to look for? They would probably want the car all day too to check fuses and bulbs :rolleyes: Might take it to thorney and hope it IS the switch.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users