Gearbox Breather Pipe

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 ianrm

ianrm

Joined - in the past 10.02.2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Football, Cars & Fish keeping.

Posted 16 August 2004 - 09:12 PM

I'm thinking of doing the breather mod before Anglsey but have a question. With the mod done as per the DIY section, does the engine bay become coated with oil when the gearbox gets hot on trackdays ? I know that would be better than coating the rear tyre but could the pipe be routed so as it does neither ?

#2 stomper

stomper

• Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Driving quickly

Posted 16 August 2004 - 09:19 PM

This is a good question! I was a little worried about this so i thought that I would follow the advice on another thread and go to my local Vauhall dealer to buy the breather pipe and fitting that is available for the Vectra Gearbox. Guess what? it doesn't show in their 'fiche and it isn't known to their mechanics. Advice from someone who has completed this task would be appreciated!

#3 easy

easy

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 09:31 PM

I did this mod as per the instructions with some rather natty blue pipe poof But instead of leaving the end of the breather inside the engine compartment I took it through one of the slots in the lip of the compartment and just closed the end off with another jubile clip. This means its still protected from the elements but not in the compartment B) Up to now it hasn't allow any gearbox to vent out which I think is the point of lengthening the pipe :unsure: even though I have a stage 3 and have done a few rack days thumbsup Well worth the effort IMHO :)

#4 ianrm

ianrm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 09:34 PM

Thanks Easy :)

#5 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 10:25 PM

With the mod done as per the DIY section, does the engine bay become coated with oil when the gearbox gets hot on trackdays ?

Nope. I would be very surprised if any oil finds it's way to the top of the pipe.

#6 WoodenDummy

WoodenDummy

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 10:47 PM

It would have to be super hot to make it to the top, you don't need to worry.

#7 Whiteboy

Whiteboy

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,950 posts
  • Interests:F1, track days, cars ,cars and cars.

Posted 17 August 2004 - 05:53 AM

It would have to be super hot to make it to the top, you don't need to worry.

thumbsup

#8 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 07:10 AM

The oil loss is a cornering loss rather than heat. As far as I am aware, the car will only lose oil once. The 'excess' spills out and that is the end of it. With the mod done, there is no oil loss. If the pipe was two inches long, this would probably stop the loss. There is no point buying a pipe from VX, any old pipe will do. It is wise to place some restriction in the top (I have a flattened piece of 15mm pipe), if only to stop insects nesting in your GB. Easy, you don't mean you have screwed up the jubilee clip to close off the pipe? The GB needs to breath and the pipe needs to be open to atmosphere. BTW, your S3 makes no difference, it is how fast you go round the corners that will effect the loss, that is why this problem only manifests on track.

#9 WoodenDummy

WoodenDummy

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 07:15 AM

The oil loss is a cornering loss rather than heat.

Really? I thought it was a heat issue and the VXT needed it more than the NA if I remember.

#10 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 08:51 AM

The oil loss is a cornering loss rather than heat.

Really? I thought it was a heat issue and the VXT needed it more than the NA if I remember.

Shirley, it's a combination of heat and cornering.

Ben - this is a big problem on the NA :(

#11 Bengie

Bengie

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 09:14 AM

Mine got a mod done when it went in for it's 20k service. I didn't even ask for it, but Paul at Baylis noticed that I'd lost quite a bit of oil from the gearbox, so ordered up the mod, and fitted it. There is a pipe that runs from the GB, upto a little silver round box thingie that is cable tied to near the top offside of the engine bay. I'll try and take some piccies later, and post them. Edit: btw, I lost oil on every dry track day that I've done (ok, only 3 - Silverstone, about 30 laps of Llandow, and Brunters). I think the biggest problem is high speed right hand bends, since the breather is on the left of the GB.

Edited by Bengie, 17 August 2004 - 09:16 AM.

#12 WoodenDummy

WoodenDummy

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 10:09 AM

Ben - this is a big problem on the NA :(

hmm I didnt know that, this VX hasnt been tracked yet it's such a Friday car i'm probably going to change.

First mod on new car planned! haha.

#13 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 11:32 AM

Heat will contribute, to the extent it thins the oil, but it is right hand bends that sends the oil out. I stand corrected Bengie, I understood a quantity came out, then no more. Would be interesting to learn if this was a problem on anti-clockwise tracks?

#14 Bengie

Bengie

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 11:39 AM

Partridge - it could be just my car that's done it like that... I was under the same impression as you, that it does it once, then stops. Maybe it's cause I was going faster each time?

#15 Blanchie

Blanchie

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts
  • Interests:Various

Posted 17 August 2004 - 05:43 PM

Shirley, it's a combination of heat and cornering.

Who's Shirley? :lol: :lol:

#16 ianrm

ianrm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 06:04 PM

[quote name='Blanchie' date='Aug 17 2004, 18:43 ']

[/QUOTE]
Who's Shirley? :lol: :lol: [/quote]
Bassey ? :unsure:

#17 Whiteboy

Whiteboy

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,950 posts
  • Interests:F1, track days, cars ,cars and cars.

Posted 21 August 2004 - 04:53 PM

What width pipe do you need as it doesnot say on the diy section :beat: and I have just got some too small :angry:

#18 Ducati996Senna

Ducati996Senna

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 08:31 PM

I machined a small piece of alloy to fit in the gearbox breather hole. A small bore pipe is pushed onto this and then I used a model aeroplane type fuel tank which I secured to the luggage compartment on the engine side. This acts as a small catch tank. Seems to work well.

#19 Mick43

Mick43

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,305 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Bikes, Sport (tennis, squash, gym)

Posted 22 August 2004 - 09:28 PM

I fitted mine last week - ready for Rockingham Track day Tuesday... on previous track days mine has been covered in an oily film... I used 12mm internal bore pipe... after seeing GaryKs professional fit I've been looking for a mini air filter to put on the end.... and found the perfect solution in model shop - using an air filter for RC model engine... looks good, and I'll report how it fairs after Tuesday.... Mick

Attached Files

#20 ianrm

ianrm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 06:24 AM

That looks very proffesional Mick. thumbsup

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users