• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Joe-Turbo

Joe-Turbo

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 11:29 AM

just had a phone call from vauxhall saying that on top of the normal service i will have to have a air filter changed (bout £50), brake fluid changed (bout £70), my front brake pads are 90% worn (bout £200) and my rear brake pads are 75% worn (bout £200) total £750 thought my 3rd service (21500 miles) would of cost bout £200 looks like ill have to get the credit card out again Joe

#2 ShinyAndy

ShinyAndy

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,345 posts
  • Interests:Putting the world to rights on forums and teaching people how to drive properly

Posted 22 November 2004 - 11:35 AM

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo.. Don't pay the robbin' barstewards that ! Do the brakes yourself, fluid is probably fine if you don't do trackdays and just check the million threads going at the moment for suitable pads and the fact that it takes only about an hour to replace the pads and even a 5 year old could do it

#3 TonyKL

TonyKL

V6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 11:35 AM

I believe if you do the brakes yourself you can save quite a bit of cash. Doh! Beaten by Andy

Edited by TonyKL, 22 November 2004 - 11:35 AM.

#4 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 11:37 AM

Robbin' bastards at it again :9mm: Name and shame mate...

#5 Jim_Cross

Jim_Cross

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 11:38 AM

And if you don't want to do the brakes yourself, get a full set of Mintex M1144s from Eliseparts (£117 + VAT I think), and get Queens Park Tyres in Billericay to fit them (£50). That's around £175, a saving of £225!

#6 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 22 November 2004 - 11:42 AM

sweet jesus, :angry: that is the most blatant rip off I heard of from a vaux dealer yet tell them to GTF and do the pads/fluid yourself thumbsup

#7 Jase_MK

Jase_MK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 01:51 PM

Air filter should be included in the price of a service as I've been told by my dealer that it gets changed at every service. Either way, you pop open the box, sling a £10 filter in there and close the box again - takes minutes. On my last VX, they charged me £30 for a brake fluid change (although this should have been done at the 2nd and therefore shouldn't need doing at the 3rd)

#8 Joe-Turbo

Joe-Turbo

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 05:14 PM

Toomey in Basildon. bollox is i was half asleep when thy called and just told them to do what they had to do. I really had enough of there sh*t and dont think ill be going back.

#9 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 05:28 PM

I really had enough of there sh*t and dont think ill be going back.

No sh*t????

I would go back, however, to have a friendly 'chat' with the branch manager myself thumbsup

#10 Joe-Turbo

Joe-Turbo

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 05:38 PM

what do you suggest i say? i have to pick it up and pay for it now. "you lot are a bunch of fu*king rip offs"?

#11 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 05:45 PM

Well, I had my brakes done this year in bristol....and whilst I wasnt highly impressed, IIRC they cost about £250 Not the £400 theyre after......

#12 ianrm

ianrm

Joined - in the past 10.02.2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Football, Cars & Fish keeping.

Posted 22 November 2004 - 05:48 PM

For starters I would tell them that the air filter should be included in the service cost. Secondly point out that the brake pads can be purchased and fitted for a fraction of the price they have charged you. I would then tell them that you consider the total costs rather extortionate and will never be using or recommending them again and you will also be posting your experience on here.

#13 Whiteboy

Whiteboy

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,950 posts
  • Interests:F1, track days, cars ,cars and cars.

Posted 22 November 2004 - 06:13 PM

What a rip off and I wouldnot take it to a main dealer on the three year service ,as it is soon to be out of warranty. thumbsdown

#14 ianrm

ianrm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 07:21 PM

Perhaps you could also show this to the service manager. It's taken from Maranelo's Ferrari web site. We are pleased to announce the introduction of a revised pricing structure for Ferraris of more than 3 years of age. This new promotion will offer all the benefits of Factory Approved Main Dealer service and maintenance at a very competitive and affordable rate. We are all aware of the importance of a full and documented Factory Approved Main Dealer maintenance history on your Ferrari. In the past that has always come at a cost that was sometimes difficult to justify. At Maranello this is no longer the case! With our new promotional pricing structure for cars of 3 years of age and above, you can now rest assured that you are fully in control of the costs of maintaining your super car to the highest possible factory standards. Below are just a few examples of our service prices for the 328, 355 and 360 model groups. We are confident you will agree that the Maranello stamp is now a very cost effective and affordable addition to your Ferrari’s portfolio. 355 annual service £454 355 18,750 service £900 355 cambelt renewal £1,357 360 annual service £622 360 18,750 service £1,000 360 cambelt renewal £507 308/328 annual service £375 308/328 18,750 service £688 308/328 cambelt renewal £441 All of the above prices include all parts, labour and oils required and are plus V.A.T.

#15 benw

benw

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 09:43 PM

You could print this thread and take it with you? Perhaps they'll realise that there's now 1500 VX owners who won't go anywhere near them.

#16 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 09:53 PM

Perhaps you could also show this to the service manager. It's taken from Maranelo's Ferrari web site.

We are pleased to announce the introduction of a revised pricing structure for Ferraris of more than 3 years of age. This new promotion will offer all the benefits of Factory Approved Main Dealer service and maintenance at a very competitive and affordable rate.

We are all aware of the importance of a full and documented Factory Approved Main Dealer maintenance history on your Ferrari. In the past that has always come at a cost that was sometimes difficult to justify. At Maranello this is no longer the case! With our new promotional pricing structure for cars of 3 years of age and above, you can now rest assured that you are fully in control of the costs of maintaining your super car to the highest possible factory standards.

Below are just a few examples of our service prices for the 328, 355 and 360 model groups. We are confident you will agree that the Maranello stamp is now a very cost effective and affordable addition to your Ferrari’s portfolio.

355 annual service £454
355 18,750 service £900
355 cambelt renewal £1,357

360 annual service £622
360 18,750 service £1,000
360 cambelt renewal £507

308/328 annual service £375
308/328 18,750 service £688
308/328 cambelt renewal £441

All of the above prices include all parts, labour and oils required and are plus V.A.T.

Ian,

As always those prices are for an absolutely 'stock' service...anything over and above is costed accordingly.

at my two year service I got quoted approx £120...which rose to £370 after the brake pads were factored in thumbsup basically any wear and tear items are always on top of the standard service. After all a 2 year old vx may have only covered a few thousand miles....

#17 geofflowe

geofflowe

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • Interests:Cars

Posted 22 November 2004 - 09:58 PM

I'm sure you can get brake pads from Circuit Supplies or somewhere - VX ones seem incredibly expensive!

#18 ianrm

ianrm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 10:05 PM

Ian,

As always those prices are for an absolutely 'stock' service...anything over and above is costed accordingly.

at my two year service I got quoted approx £120...which rose to £370 after the brake pads were factored in thumbsup basically any wear and tear items are always on top of the standard service. After all a 2 year old vx may have only covered a few thousand miles....

I realise that servicing is always plus parts. Just thought I'd chuck the Ferrari costs in for comparison.

#19 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 10:14 PM

Ian,

at my two year service I got quoted approx £120...which rose to £370 after the brake pads were factored in  thumbsup  basically any wear and tear items are always on top of the standard service. After all a 2 year old vx may have only covered a few thousand miles....

I realise that servicing is always plus parts. Just thought I'd chuck the Ferrari costs in for comparison.

nah,

I questioned the vx techie who works on my car about this.

vaux have a set procedure, parts and time allowance for the standard services.

He showed me this list.

They also have an identical list for all works...ie pads take two hours per side etc etc

In fairness after I questioned the times (for pads) he/they agreed that it took less time than the schedule and charged me according to the time taken.....

any additional works, ie pads and fluid will be charged as an extra....so you will be charged parts and labour

hope that helps others thumbsup

#20 SSH1

SSH1

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 09:37 AM

ie pads take two hours per side etc etc

Perhaps we should let someone a Vauxhall themselves know how rediculous this is, it didn't take me this long at home first time I did them, without really knowing what I was doing.
I'm sure a so called 'skilled' fitter at your dealership could do the whole car in 30/45 mins.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users