• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 cyberman

cyberman

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 04:06 AM

This has nothing to do with the turbulent little spat over in Motorsport but I've just popped in to say I probably won't be posting again. I've made some good, if virtual, friends here and its been fun. Friends or not, you are a lively lot, and your company has been good.

In case anyone asks, "why off?" see below the nemesis:

Posted Image

Some of you know that I've had advanced colorectal cancer for 3.5 years. In fact I bought the Vx to cheer myself up when I found out about the problem. It did that OK.

So far I've given "the crab" a pretty good fight and, as the NHS aren't very good at curing this one, I've sponsored a few experiments too. The last one put me into remission for 9 months and I was almost back to feisty good health (the chemo experiments are long term damaging). So much so I'd started to make plans for next year ...

Anyway, my 3 monthly CT reported yesterday that the little buggers have popped up all over the place again. Like mushrooms they steal in overnight when you aren't looking. One day a perfect lawn the next fairy rings as far as the eye can see. The piccy is one of the 6 in the lungs (err, its the planetary dot to the right, the large circle at the top is the aorta). I'd not worry about those, for there are new ways of killing lung mets in situ, but there are others, bigger and uglier, in less well-bounded circumstances.

Fighting this stuff, even if you get lucky, costs £100K - £150K a year. You have to travel to the clinics doing something interesting (and I don't mean Manchester) and more than anything you have to research, plan and organise to find and engage with the right process for you wherever it may be. The next interesting area for trials may be monoclonal T-cell receptors. Will they work? No one knows - but the humour of the cancer patient says "good, for it permits of hope".

So, thats what I'll be concentrating on for a while. The odds are I'll either be too rough from the chemo to go driving or the Vx will be up on Ebay for sale as the relict realises the assets (err, its in excellent condition and quite unique).

So, TTFN and happy motoring.

Edited by cyberman, 28 June 2006 - 04:16 AM.

#2 Cavturbo

Cavturbo

• PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 05:07 AM

This has nothing to do with the turbulent little spat over in Motorsport but I've just popped in to say I probably won't be posting again. I've made some good, if virtual, friends here and its been fun. Friends or not, you are a lively lot, and your company has been good.

In case anyone asks, "why off?" see below the nemesis:

Posted Image

Some of you know that I've had advanced colorectal cancer for 3.5 years. In fact I bought the Vx to cheer myself up when I found out about the problem. It did that OK.

So far I've given "the crab" a pretty good fight and, as the NHS aren't very good at curing this one, I've sponsored a few experiments too. The last one put me into remission for 9 months and I was almost back to feisty good health (the chemo experiments are long term damaging). So much so I'd started to make plans for next year ...

Anyway, my 3 monthly CT reported yesterday that the little buggers have popped up all over the place again. Like mushrooms they steal in overnight when you aren't looking. One day a perfect lawn the next fairy rings as far as the eye can see. The piccy is one of the 6 in the lungs (err, its the planetary dot to the right, the large circle at the top is the aorta). I'd not worry about those, for there are new ways of killing lung mets in situ, but there are others, bigger and uglier, in less well-bounded circumstances.

Fighting this stuff, even if you get lucky, costs £100K - £150K a year. You have to travel to the clinics doing something interesting (and I don't mean Manchester) and more than anything you have to research, plan and organise to find and engage with the right process for you wherever it may be. The next interesting area for trials may be monoclonal T-cell receptors. Will they work? No one knows - but the humour of the cancer patient says "good, for it permits of hope".

So, thats what I'll be concentrating on for a while. The odds are I'll either be too rough from the chemo to go driving or the Vx will be up on Ebay for sale as the relict realises the assets (err, its in excellent condition and quite unique).

So, TTFN and happy motoring.

All the best mate.

#3 ianrm

ianrm

Joined - in the past 10.02.2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Football, Cars & Fish keeping.

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:06 AM

Good luck and get back soon :grouphug:

#4 ratboiler

ratboiler

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:17 AM

Wish you all the luck in the world I hope it all goes your way.

#5 mal_dun

mal_dun

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Interests:VX220, narrowboating, golf

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:40 AM

Very best of luck. I hope the monoclonals work as they are the future in treatment. :grouphug:

#6 luna_s

luna_s

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:52 AM

best of luck

#7 Amoger

Amoger

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:55 AM

Best of luck, keep up the fight, we'll all still be here when you return..

#8 Dave

Dave

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:02 AM

No giving up...pop in to www.vx220.org when you are able. Dave

#9 JohnyB

JohnyB

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:08 AM

I don't know what to say, i just became sad when I've read your post.. i hope it all goes well for you, good luck! :grouphug: :grouphug:

#10 jneill

jneill

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,945 posts
  • Interests:QI

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:16 AM

We'll still be here when you need a chat. Fortune does favour the brave thumbsup Good luck, James :grouphug:

#11 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:20 AM

That was a viscious start to my morning!

Ian, your wisdom, experience and probing mind have been a joy and an asset here and I can only wish you all the best and good luck in your fight. My wife is well connected in radiographical circles and although she is not an oncologist if there is anything she may be able to do to assist, you just let me know.

Tell us when you are fixed up and I can at last demonstrate that RS14's are every bit as good as your Heath Robinson solution............

#12 ad172

ad172

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, Driving

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:23 AM

Ian I'm sure that your grit and determination will help you in making a speedy recovery. All the best and we will always be here thumbsup thumbsup Adam

#13 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:25 AM

wow! (not a great opening, but not sure what else to say). Ian, I've always thought your posts to be well reasoned, rather than those of some spotty oik shooting their mouth off. I particularly enjoyed all the brake research posts, even if it was a little "over my head". Can't really say "get well soon", but I sincerly hope you pull through stronger and better than before.

#14 Smiler

Smiler

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:38 AM

Best of luck Ian for the future. Thanks for all your knowledge.. very much appreciated. Be strong.... :grouphug: Si

#15 ajussi

ajussi

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:46 AM

ditto what everybody else has said - will be rooting for you. stay strong. take care.

#16 Trevski220

Trevski220

• PipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:49 AM

All Tha Best Mate, Hope Things Come Good For You.

#17 rabidh

rabidh

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:52 AM

Sorry to hear it :( I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like for you. I really do hope that something works for you.

#18 kipper

kipper

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • Interests:Things that rotate.
    Smoking various types
    of fish.

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:58 AM

Ian, Like others on this site I really enjoyed the content of your posts and will sorely miss your in depth discussions on brakes and suspension. I was your willingness to explore and experiment, which educated us all on these particular aspects of of cars and perhaps the suppliers of after market parts will be able to put together ready to fit packages for us lesser mortals. It was quite a shock to hear of your illness as of course your posts did not give a clue up until now. Fight on, life is short and precious, I'm sure that all are thoughts are with you. Dave K

#19 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:09 AM

Blimey mate, that's a bombshell. I can only reiterate what others have said. Keep strong. Steve

#20 garyk220

garyk220

VX parts all sold, saving for replacement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:16 AM

All the very best Ian. If grit, determination and intellect count for anything, the little buggers don't stand a chance. We'll all be passing on our best wishes and support.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users