Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:04 PM

Simon, just ask Joe how fast his VX is at this moment in time :poke:

#22 Crabash

Crabash

Scared

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:05 PM

Weight reduction is ok and all but it's not everything, you will go faster on track if you feel comfortable and secure. On the other hand you may go slower in a lighter car if you do not feel at one with it, or the new noises make you more aware of the thrashing you are giving it, not a prob for everyone of course :P

#23 Simonk0_0

Simonk0_0

• PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:15 PM

Weight reduction is ok and all but it's not everything, you will go faster on track if you feel comfortable and secure. On the other hand you may go slower in a lighter car if you do not feel at one with it, or the new noises make you more aware of the thrashing you are giving it, not a prob for everyone of course :P

My cateham was sub 500 kg with over 275bhp, and it was mega..... Even when it hit the armco and I ripped both wheels off it racing an r1 !!!
But it was still truly amazing in grip and feel, like riding a bike so much feedback.

You can go silly light but you need so much more doing to make it work I agree

#24 Crabash

Crabash

Scared

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:51 PM

Yeah what I mean is a seat that weighs 10kg and fits you well is better than a seat that weighs nothing but makes you ache. For example.

#25 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 02 April 2011 - 04:44 PM

Have a look on my website: https://sites.google...6-weight-saving

#26 chris

chris

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:55 AM

Today, I have saved 98,5 kg net, on the OEM weight of my car (after 8 years of efforts) (including a swap of M32 6 speeds gearbox which is 5 kg heavier than the M23) My target for the future is to reach 800 kg with a full fuel tank the average rate per saved kg is about 160 Euro . http://www.garage111....php?f=33&t=105 chinky chinky

#27 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:43 AM

Here's a random idea that doesn't seem to be acted on that much. The paint on a formula 1 car is 3kg's. They strip it a repaint to remove stone chips rather than over the top it. Has anyone considered stripping the paint, wash priming rather than using high build and then going for a single colour (ie activator in colour) rather than basecoat and clear? This must be worth a few kg on a VX sized car.

#28 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:35 AM

Here's a random idea that doesn't seem to be acted on that much. The paint on a formula 1 car is 3kg's. They strip it a repaint to remove stone chips rather than over the top it. Has anyone considered stripping the paint, wash priming rather than using high build and then going for a single colour (ie activator in colour) rather than basecoat and clear? This must be worth a few kg on a VX sized car.

I'd guess it would be 4.5L of paint per layer of primer/paint/lacquer, so lets assume 1KG per Litre... fair bit saved just going for the primer and one coat like you say. Plus saved cash too

#29 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,611 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:47 AM

I'd guess it would be 4.5L of paint per layer of primer/paint/lacquer, so lets assume 1KG per Litre... fair bit saved just going for the primer and one coat like you say. Plus saved cash too

or you could just have it primer coloured like slindy

#30 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:49 AM

fcuk primer.... just go bare or maybe just an ultra thin coat of clear epoxy :lol:

#31 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,611 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:50 AM

fcuk primer.... just go bare or maybe just an ultra thin coat of clear epoxy :lol:

admire the weave! :)

#32 soupdragon

soupdragon

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:Revolution

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:19 PM

admire the weave! :)

Or vinyl wrap an unpainted car ?

#33 soupdragon

soupdragon

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:Revolution

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:27 PM

I think your carbon trim and sound proofing weights are a bit exaggerated to be honest....

I would love a set of your subframes though!!!

Joe,
I weighed ever bit I removed, the rear bulkhead sticky was over 3/4 kg , let alone the foam.
Boot carpet and soundproofing too

There was 224 grams of sticky goo and filler below my drivers sill alone.
Rear speakers gone

I have removed everything but the plAstic bulkhead and thats going now..... But the car is a toy not for transport, so we can live with the added, very nice noise.....
Stereo is going, sorted the bluetooth apple Thingy, that's another 2 kg

Watch this space for subframes.........

I have found a source .....looking at £30 each....

Simon What bluetooth thingy have you used?

I've been looking for a radio in a box I can bolt under the dash with just an iPod/MP3 connection. And just a display and controller on the dash.
My thinking is...less atractive to theives and more space for guages.

Also interested in your seat frames at £30

Doug

#34 jakepeg

jakepeg

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts
  • Interests:ALL SPORT
    Oh and now electric guitars and lots of noise

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:29 PM

Chuck the fat bird out? :poke:

#35 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:54 PM

when i win 90m on the lotto i'm going to make clams out of CF :rolleyes:

#36 Simonk0_0

Simonk0_0

• PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:30 PM

Doug A jam box jawbone Thingy Still trialling it at the moment Good so far Si

#37 davemate

davemate

Harrop!!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,228 posts
  • Interests:Provoking Badgers

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:28 AM

Heater out would probably save you a lot. Plastic rocker cover is a cheap one. Lightened flywheel, ali bell disks, lighter wheels (rotational mass), lightened roll bar cover, fog lights out, balance shaft delete, smaller alternator, airbag removal, replace glass, change from cast manifold, remove washer jets, titanium wheel bolts, replace undertrays with ply, get circumcised, get a hair cut, give blood, clip toe nails....

#38 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

No it's not a Lamborghini!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:05 PM

Have a look on my website: https://sites.google...6-weight-saving

Boot carpet and foam really only 0.3kg, thought it'd be more.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users