• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:43 PM

Considered 15” rims as they were the factory option for winter tyres. I have driven to the Alps the last few years and with appropriate tyres now being compulsory in Germany, thought the time had come. The originals are no longer available, a secondhand set in Munich were bid over €600. Spoke to Compomotive who promptly delivered me a set with the nearest widths and offsets to original they could manage. Fitted Nankank Snow SV-2s. Naturally, never saw another snowfake after delivery and the freezing level in the Alps was much higher than the roads. Being able to buy 195/55/15 888s at a preferential price through PBMW, it had been in the back of my mind that I could try these on the VX. Anglesey was the test. Not much difference at the front, but have 60mm less rubber on the rear axle and lower gearing than a 225/17. Result – no significant deterioration in rear grip and improved acceleration from the reduction in rolling radius. Appears to be a winner all round. Having started with new tyres, after Anglesey the fronts had between 4 and 4.5mm tread depth, the rears between 3 and 4. New is nearly 5, probably 4.8. Also confirms that for the French trip, with over 1,000 road miles and two TDs, I need to leave home on new rubber to arrive home with legal tyres :blink: .

#2 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:52 PM

I have the same problem re: wear Andrew. And that is on a standard size set of rears. Anglesea took about 1/4-1/3rd out of brand new rears. We're heading south after Le Mans another 1k miles or so. The chances of getting back to Berkshire with legal rears is slim to none (more none than slim)

#3 StealthVXT

StealthVXT

• PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:57 PM

Considered 15” rims as they were the factory option for winter tyres. I have driven to the Alps the last few years and with appropriate tyres now being compulsory in Germany, thought the time had come.

The originals are no longer available, a secondhand set in Munich were bid over €600. Spoke to Compomotive who promptly delivered me a set with the nearest widths and offsets to original they could manage. Fitted Nankank Snow SV-2s. Naturally, never saw another snowfake after delivery and the freezing level in the Alps was much higher than the roads.

Being able to buy 195/55/15 888s at a preferential price through PBMW, it had been in the back of my mind that I could try these on the VX. Anglesey was the test. Not much difference at the front, but have 60mm less rubber on the rear axle and lower gearing than a 225/17.

Result – no significant deterioration in rear grip and improved acceleration from the reduction in rolling radius. Appears to be a winner all round.

Having started with new tyres, after Anglesey the fronts had between 4 and 4.5mm tread depth, the rears between 3 and 4. New is nearly 5, probably 4.8. Also confirms that for the French trip, with over 1,000 road miles and two TDs, I need to leave home on new rubber to arrive home with legal tyres :blink: .

Any photos of the 15's on your car? I cant picture how well it would look with the smaller rims.

#4 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:58 PM

Still got to decide for sure but think I'll probably go with the R1R shod wheels. Decent grip and plenty of tread to handle any wear or French rainstorms for the duration of the trip. Only potential fly in the ointment is if it's baking hot for the two trackdays as they may not like that too much. Choices, choices. :rolleyes:

#5 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:09 PM

Choices, choices. :rolleyes:

:yeahthat:

I've just cleaned my A039 shod black TDs (in expectation of having to deal with rain on French motorways with sh*t drainage) to find that the rears are optimistically only about 2mm above the wear markers. Now undecided on the A039s or sticking with the 888s which at least have more of what goes for tread on them. :unsure:

Now they'ved dried I can see that the black wheels had so much crud on them all I've managed to do is move it around! :angry2:

PS. Sorry for going OT! ;)

#6 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:16 PM

i'm going on ao48s because i have no choice, i've left it too late for anything else :( :lol:

#7 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:26 PM

sticking with the 888s which at least have more of what goes for tread on them. :unsure:

The 888's coped remarkably well with the heavy rain and deep standing water Cliffie and I had to go through on A5 on the way home from Anglesey. Granted we probably weren't doing much more than 40mph.

I did the schlep back from LM24 a couple of years ago on well worn 888's through torrential rain on the autoroute. It was pretty scary and a bloody good job it was a Sunday and trucks were banned, otherwise they'd have been driving over the top of the VX, I was going so slowly in places. :rolleyes:

P.S. Black wheels (certainly TD's) seem to be the worst for cleaning up. Mine were as filthy as they were before I started, when I last tried to pressure wash them. thumbsdown

#8 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,220 posts
  • Interests:Stock Car Racing. Sailing, Good Food and Drink! Celtic, Scottish National Team. Bands

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:35 PM

Posted Image

rear tires are 225/50-R15 and fronts are 195/55-R15.

#9 StealthVXT

StealthVXT

• PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:44 PM

Posted Image

rear tires are 225/50-R15 and fronts are 195/55-R15.

What colour paint is that? Renault Liquid Gold??
Looks lovely :wub: and the 15" wheels dont look out of place. although I wouldnt want to be a passenger in your car, be a bit sore afterwards! :lol:

#10 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,220 posts
  • Interests:Stock Car Racing. Sailing, Good Food and Drink! Celtic, Scottish National Team. Bands

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:48 PM

It aint mine, sorry! Look for meldert, its his :)

#11 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:03 PM

sticking with the 888s which at least have more of what goes for tread on them. :unsure:

The 888's coped remarkably well with the heavy rain and deep standing water Cliffie and I had to go through on A5 on the way home from Anglesey.

Mine coped fine with the rain up too. thumbsup

I've just checked and the A039 rears have 3mm of tread left - about 1mm above the wear marker. One rear 888 has a cut in it around the circumference a good inch in from the outer edge although not very deep and I've been assured it's ok to use. Either option is thus a bit of a concern.

The most sensible option probably is to go and buy two new rear A039s - if there's any to be had. And I thought I hadn't left it to the last minute!

Or do I risk it? :lol:

#12 martylemoo

martylemoo

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:17 PM

I ran 15" on the front for a season of autotesting and Sprinting last year. I ran a custom 7.5 16" on the rear and the Winter rear wheels on the front. This allowed me to run S1 Elise size tyres which at the time were easier and cheaper to obtain. I ran R888 first and then A048R in 195/50/15 and 225/45/16. If my times are anything to go on I was quicker with that setup than I am with the 16/17 I run now. If anybody wants the 15" Winter wheels then they can have them for a bargain £100 for the pair delivered.

#13 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:43 AM

I ran 15" on the front for a season of autotesting and Sprinting last year. I ran a custom 7.5 16" on the rear and the Winter rear wheels on the front. This allowed me to run S1 Elise size tyres which at the time were easier and cheaper to obtain. I ran R888 first and then A048R in 195/50/15 and 225/45/16.

If my times are anything to go on I was quicker with that setup than I am with the 16/17 I run now.

If anybody wants the 15" Winter wheels then they can have them for a bargain £100 for the pair delivered.

I'd have snapped your hand off at the beginning of the year!

I wonder how much of the performance differential came from the lower gearing? Was very surprised how well the back end hung on, with much less rubber on the road.

No pics yet, will take some in France.

#14 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,768 posts
  • Interests:Big baps.

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:03 PM

Any photos of the 15's on your car? I cant picture how well it would look with the smaller rims.

My 15 inch winter wheels look crap.

Driving wise there's less understeer as they're 185 on the front and 205 at the back, but can't say traction is improved. On my set it's quite a bit worse, but they are winter tyres, driven in winter.

Think I paid 750 eur for them with quite new tyres, which isn't bad when the alternative is not driving the car for 6 months of the year. The biggest problem for me in the winter is not the tyres, but the cold. Need a working heater!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users