Photo

Fuel Line Protector For Superchargers

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#21 JG

JG

• 13,611 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:34 PM

oh and its taken me ages to make two. The jig to get the bend right took bloody ages too. So I may take some persuasion to make anymore. :( (but thats why there are lots of pics here :D) I also rather over specified the aluminium (5251) so its rock hard. On Lee's car, the one on which the guard is mounted in the above pics, if you try to move the guard the engine moves first. :lol:

#22 Hark

Hark

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:37 PM

oh and its taken me ages to make two. The jig to get the bend right took bloody ages too. So I may take some persuasion to make anymore. :( (but thats why there are lots of pics here :D)

I also rather over specified the aluminium (5251) so its rock hard. On Lee's car, the one on which the guard is mounted in the above pics, if you try to move the guard the engine moves first. :lol:

Let me know how much persuading you need. lol

As it's got to be easier than moving the fuel lines. Would also need to check that the mechanic has already made something, but I doubt it as my car is in no hurry no go anywhere at the mo.

#23 JG

JG

• 13,611 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:51 PM

So you do it all in your garage! Fair play, I always assumed you must have access to a machine shop or something!Where do you get your materials from?

sorry missed this earlier Chris, I tend to get materials from a variety of sources. The local aluminium fabricators let me go through their off-cuts for beer money (usually a 10er at a time), Aluminium warehouse http://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk provided what I wanted for this little project, and Mango has a few contacts now too especially for tools.

#24 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:58 PM

James, If you ever want me to reverse engineer some fabrication drawings from your components just ask thumbsup Top work though thumbsup

#25 JG

JG

• 13,611 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:08 PM

thanks Jules, here is a drawing of the fuel cut out cover, a similar one is progress for this but as you can see I could certainly do with the help:

Posted Image

#26 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:11 PM

As it's got to be easier than moving the fuel lines.

you still need to move the fuel lines :closedeyes:

JG's lovely shield just protects the fuel pipes from a failing drive belt thumbsup

#27 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:17 PM

Top job JG. Imnotworthy Let me know if you do go into production. I'd considered a kevlar shield but yours is top drawer!

#28 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:24 PM

James, Nice work on the drawing, it can be improved somewhat though ;) No rush I'm guessing? I'll knock you out a decent title block too if you want? :lol: PS: Stupid question; why is the flange 2mm at the top and 3mm at the bottom?

#29 JG

JG

• 13,611 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:29 PM

The 3mm line goes to the dotted line, so that the inside bit is 3mm thick. If that makes sense. I know i've probably broken all sort of rules in my drawing, but at least i understand it :lol: And yes, my title block is shameful.

#30 JG

JG

• 13,611 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:32 PM

Top job JG. Imnotworthy
Let me know if you do go into production. I'd considered a kevlar shield but yours is top drawer!

I must admit i did wonder if someone could replicate it in CF? At least the main section, the fixings can be left as they are.

#31 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:36 PM

It needs a section the other way my friend :D I'll sort you out something in the week ;)

#32 JG

JG

• 13,611 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:39 PM

Don't break too much sweat, the cutout is only just big enough to get the pump out, so i think whilst i won't redo Lee's or mine as they work fine, future cut outs need to be fractionally larger. (oh and Neil, it was Lee's job to debur his :P :lol:) However, If i can send you a similar std of drawing to this for a couple of projects, then your help would be very much appreciated Imnotworthy

#33 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:51 PM

No worries whatsoever, I'm more than happy to help out. PM me or e-mail me your PDF's etc and I'll sort out some co-ordinate/dimensional drawings thumbsup If you want anything more fancy on the Mango title block give me a shout

#34 JG

JG

• 13,611 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:19 AM

thanks Jules :) thumbsup

#35 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:36 AM

Probably a daft question. I know the protector is aluminium but is the close proximity to the belt likely to encourage heat build up and premature belt failure? IIRC Courtenay rerouted their belt because the original route had the belt run almost meeting in the middle causing it to overheat. :unsure:

#36 JG

JG

• 13,611 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:17 AM

Its a good point VIX, but given how open it is, and the fact that it only cover 1/3rd of the belt i can't see this making any difference to heat. I would imagine that CMS' problem was routing it through too tigher bend and that would cause heat build up in the belts and lead to failure. But i could add a couple of holes to add Jimmy's lighness and your cooling :lol:

#37 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,179 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:24 AM

I like the idea of "Added Lightness" holes, but not sure the guard would cause any heat issues.

#38 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:30 AM

thumbsup

#39 JG

JG

• 13,611 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:33 PM

The Jimmy White/Vix special :P

Posted Image

#40 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:09 PM

Okay, now I want one. Pretty please. With sugar on top.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users