37 replies to this topic

#1 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:18 PM

Promised I'd stick up some pics of my latest moulding project. Not finished yet but I'll add as a go. 'Borrowed' a lotus motorsport wing for a wee while. It'd be rude not to copy it! Ended up here.

Top piece
Posted Image

Bottom piece
Posted Image

Rear has been trimmed but front flange is left on and the two parts bolted together whilst they are joined. The pics are at the joined stage and the front needs trimming up. The mouldings are made up of 1 layer of 200g cloth (to make it look pwitty) and 3 layers of 660g to make it structural. I suspect I could cut down a touch as its freekin' rigid. It was bagged and comes out at 2.30 to 2.38mm thick. I think thats a reasonable consistency. What I dont know is what thickness takes what load, perhaps someone with more knowledge can comment (scottybob :poke: )

Recent developments means I can get a good techie-proof weave pattern
Posted Image
Mmmmm, good 2x2 weave :wub:

Managed to get these at a good price so didn't make them myself.
Posted Image

Just need to sort the mountings, end plates, and internal clam bracing now. :rolleyes:

#2 Hark

Hark

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:30 PM

Looks interesting.

#3 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:43 PM

Will be if it works out.

#4 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:30 PM

Blimy Matt, you never cease to amaze me with your productivity. Looks like yet another interesting development out of your shed !

#5 VX-GT

VX-GT

me-thin-king

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:39 PM

Promised I'd stick up some pics of my latest moulding project. Not finished yet but I'll add as a go. 'Borrowed' a lotus motorsport wing for a wee while. It'd be rude not to copy it! Ended up here.

Top piece

Bottom piece

Rear has been trimmed but front flange is left on and the two parts bolted together whilst they are joined. The pics are at the joined stage and the front needs trimming up. The mouldings are made up of 1 layer of 200g cloth (to make it look pwitty) and 3 layers of 660g to make it structural. I suspect I could cut down a touch as its freekin' rigid. It was bagged and comes out at 2.30 to 2.38mm thick. I think thats a reasonable consistency. What I dont know is what thickness takes what load, perhaps someone with more knowledge can comment (scottybob :poke: )

Recent developments means I can get a good techie-proof weave pattern

Mmmmm, good 2x2 weave :wub:

Managed to get these at a good price so didn't make them myself.

Just need to sort the mountings, end plates, and internal clam bracing now. :rolleyes:

I have a box of fittings from various spoilers I have bought over the years
I also have some elise motorsport internal brackets

I can send you pics

#6 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:35 PM

Blimy Matt, you never cease to amaze me with your productivity. Looks like yet another interesting development out of your shed !

Just wait for my sill-fusers. Thats on the to make list, you'll like those.

Atom, I'd love to see the elise internal braces. I'm thinking of an alloy plate top and bottom with a piece of carbon tube between them (canoe paddle shaft!!) but it'd be handy to see what others have done. The wing will be mounted to those struts with bits of angle.

#7 GiGo

GiGo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:36 PM

How did I miss this? That's right haven't been on the forum much. It's very kind of you to make this for me Matt ;) :) nudge nudge, I know you know my love of carbon :D Looks good mate, if you do have some spare let me know :)

#8 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:59 AM

Right then, a little update. I bolted the halves together along the front flange (fnaaar) and joined it down the inside with some strips of carbon offcuts. I cut off the flange and spread some flowcoat over the join to stop the cloth being damaged. I made some brackets for the struts.....
Posted Image
It was a ball ache lining these up properly! I bonded in some bighead fasteners inside with glass paste. It now looks kinda like this, just need to plug the ends, make some end plates and lacquer it. (might powder coat the struts).
Posted Image

#9 JohnTurbo

JohnTurbo

SuperScruff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts
  • Interests:Performance cars!

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:05 AM

Where is the brew in that picture Matt? I thought i'd spotted it...but decided it was probably resin.

#10 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:08 AM

Where is the brew in that picture Matt?

I thought i'd spotted it...but decided it was probably resin.

:D
That is a resin cup. Paper cups for small amounts of resin or paint cups for large amounts. The brew mug is usually on the drill table by the door. Keeps most of the dust out of it!

I should probably add that its fairly strong. It takes my 65kg ass sat on it without flexing so I think I may have made it too thick. The whole thing, as seen in the pics is about 3.7kg. I suspect that end plates and internal boot bracing will tip it to about 4.5 kg :( Not as light as I'd hoped.

Edited by FLD, 30 December 2011 - 10:19 AM.

#11 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:28 AM

well if you don't want it....... ;) any chance of a small run of these in GRP for those of us without the funds for carbon? :poke:

#12 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:38 AM

well if you don't want it....... ;) any chance of a small run of these in GRP for those of us without the funds for carbon? :poke:

The cost will be in the labour rather than the material. I'd estimate 300-350 for materials on mine but around a weeks labour. Glass will come in at around 50-100 quid of materials but with the same labour.

#13 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:50 AM

Hmmm... I am assuming that means your labour will be a few hundred quid on top.... So, unfinished and unpainted? I can do the finishing labour, just can mould/bond the things...

#14 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:47 PM

Hmmm... I am assuming that means your labour will be a few hundred quid on top.... So, unfinished and unpainted? I can do the finishing labour, just can mould/bond the things...

TBH I doubt I could really do much better than the eliseparts wing.

#15 chrisgold

chrisgold

pembrokeshireremapping.co.uk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:pembrokeshireremapping.co.uk

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:27 PM

Looks like my wing (mmg wing) :)

#16 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:02 PM

Looks like my wing (mmg wing) :)

The struts are from MMG. Liam did them at a good price so I thought it was better than making my own. The wing is a modified lotus motorsport one. Widened by a few inches either side to fit the VX better. Its a more aggressive profile in the middle tapering to a gentler one at the ends. I guess given the centre doesn't get much clean air then it should even out.

#17 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:14 PM

'ickle update. Made end plates (adjustable so they dont look sh1t when the wing is adjusted). Gave it a good coat of lacquer but the finish isn't as good as I'd like. I could solve this by colour sanding and polishing it but I'm not that bothered! One pylon needs a tweek in the vice but otherwise topside is done (should I paint the pylons?? :unsure:). Internal bracing is on its way.

Posted Image

#18 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,179 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

Cooool!! Shiny!! :)

#19 Baron Von Scubadaddy

Baron Von Scubadaddy

STAGE 3.333333333333333333333333333333

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,643 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Cars,..... ! spending time asking questions about why my car won't work

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:50 PM

top work I've spent hours on you-tube watching how to's well done mate I bet it didn't cost that much to produce either Imnotworthy

#20 GiGo

GiGo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:09 AM

Looks excellent : thumbsup:

Edited by GiGo, 22 January 2012 - 07:10 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: not safe for GiGo

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users