Photo

Cliffie Double Time Attack 2012+13 Champion!

• Please log in to reply
4350 replies to this topic

#1981 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,353 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:19 AM

The car is awesome, really strong and handling beautifully. You can go in so committed and know exactly what it will do and how it will react. We used the new Kumhos in the damp and wet and I was really impressed with the grip levels. The new exhaust is something to behold and the db levels are down to 96db and I am pretty sure there is no loss of power. The manifold is beautiful. We have to beat Ronnie in the last four rounds to stand any chance of the championship.

#1982 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

Be interesting to see how reliable the cossie will be other a double header weekend Let's have a look at your zorst mike :poke:

#1983 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,353 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

Be interesting to see how reliable the cossie will be other a double header weekend

Let's have a look at your zorst mike :poke:

Trying to upload it now but having gallery grief.

#1984 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:06 AM

Posted Image

Love it! :wub: looks very torquey!

#1985 cnrandall

cnrandall

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

Well done to Mike, really close with that Cossie, gutted for him that he was behind by such a small margin. We had a busy day trying to optimise our car for the weather in each session and ultimately got it wrong in the final when the rain landed and ended 3rd overall and 1st in class, running a full slick setup on the wets. Interesting experience doing the Time Attack, some of the cars are mental with just obscene amounts of power. They are clearly running very close to the edge, most of the quicker cars doing only 1 fast lap at a time, many of them going bang in the process. We didn't show badly on the speed traps though, just goes to show how much is gained by good corner exit speed. Wouldn't it be fun to build a specific car (lotus or VX) for this, I think you could rinse those Evo's with the right package.

#1986 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

Well done to Mike, really close with that Cossie, gutted for him that he was behind by such a small margin.

We had a busy day trying to optimise our car for the weather in each session and ultimately got it wrong in the final when the rain landed and ended 3rd overall and 1st in class, running a full slick setup on the wets.

Interesting experience doing the Time Attack, some of the cars are mental with just obscene amounts of power. They are clearly running very close to the edge, most of the quicker cars doing only 1 fast lap at a time, many of them going bang in the process. We didn't show badly on the speed traps though, just goes to show how much is gained by good corner exit speed. Wouldn't it be fun to build a specific car (lotus or VX) for this, I think you could rinse those Evo's with the right package.

Glad you enjoyed it mate!! Certainly great value for money considering you can enter an event for £300-400, especially if you've got loads of tyres kicking around already!!

Any chance you'll do another....? I saw you were garaged with the GTR, that's a bit of kit eh...?

#1987 cnrandall

cnrandall

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:24 AM

Well done to Mike, really close with that Cossie, gutted for him that he was behind by such a small margin.

We had a busy day trying to optimise our car for the weather in each session and ultimately got it wrong in the final when the rain landed and ended 3rd overall and 1st in class, running a full slick setup on the wets.

Interesting experience doing the Time Attack, some of the cars are mental with just obscene amounts of power. They are clearly running very close to the edge, most of the quicker cars doing only 1 fast lap at a time, many of them going bang in the process. We didn't show badly on the speed traps though, just goes to show how much is gained by good corner exit speed. Wouldn't it be fun to build a specific car (lotus or VX) for this, I think you could rinse those Evo's with the right package.

Glad you enjoyed it mate!! Certainly great value for money considering you can enter an event for £300-400, especially if you've got loads of tyres kicking around already!!

Any chance you'll do another....? I saw you were garaged with the GTR, that's a bit of kit eh...?

To do it seriously you would want to chuck some hillclimb slicks at it. Bolt on 2 secs a lap!

I might do another at some point, would never say never although I'm more of an endurance racing man and there is limited track time. I love the concept of the FTD but then I also love wheel to wheel racing, given the choice I would be sitting on the started grid next to those monster Evo's!

#1988 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,353 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

Thanks Chris, and thanks for your support, encouragement and advice on Sunday.

#1989 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

To do it seriously you would want to chuck some hillclimb slicks at it. Bolt on 2 secs a lap!

I might do another at some point, would never say never although I'm more of an endurance racing man and there is limited track time. I love the concept of the FTD but then I also love wheel to wheel racing, given the choice I would be sitting on the started grid next to those monster Evo's!

Yeah I appreciate that I was thinking going from Endurance to 20mins sessions must be wierd especially when the top guys are only doing 3 laps or so.... That's where the budget side of things comes in I guess as I bet a single round entry in a GT Cup race would be a little more than £400.

I would love to enter a proper endurance race as I think my lapping style suits it perfectly!!! At Snetterton (200 circuit) I hit 6 consecutive laps at 1:25.2xx which was my fastest time of the day (1:25.239) and the difference in time between warm up, practice, quali's and final were 00.05sec

Would love to see you at Anglesey mate, the Sunday is the Coastal circuit and it really suits our cars!!!

#1990 cnrandall

cnrandall

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

Consistency is everything in endurance racing so if you can put in laps within 1/10ths you're on the right track. Cost is getting silly in the UK, Britcar for example want £2.5k+VAT for an entry, then Dunlop slicks at £1K a pop that only last a couple of hours then fuel from Sonoco at £3.50+VAT per litre and that's before you factor in the car prep, the fueling equipment, the fleet of lads you need for the weekend etc etc etc!!!! Anglessey clashes with another event my biggest sponsor wants me to do so can't make that one :-( Mike - great to see you at Brands, you have my number if you need a hand with anything.

#1991 J4EY D

J4EY D

Bob Maloogaloogaloogaloogalooga

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

The new exhaust is something to behold.

:yeahthat:

Awesome piece of work!

#1992 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:19 AM

We have to beat Ronnie in the last four rounds to stand any chance of the championship.

Well done Mike, thanks Chris for helping,

Would more power help ? How does the points system work Mike?,

Edited by NickB777, 09 July 2012 - 11:21 AM.

#1993 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,353 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

Hi Nick, more power is always welcomed but that is another story... Qually is 50 for first 40 for second 30 for third etc and final is 100 for first 90 for second etc.

#1994 coople

coople

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Interests:F1, Diving and cycling.

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:30 AM

What's your next step for more power then? Anyway to reduce the drag?

#1995 jamiewillson

jamiewillson

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

Well done chaps. A great effort considering the changeable conditions and the oil/cement dust covering most of the track. Let's pray for sun in Wales. See you all there.

#1996 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,353 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

What's your next step for more power then? Anyway to reduce the drag?

We have no way to increase power within the budget we have and we tried reducing drag via rear wing and while we may have gained half a second on the straights, the corners were sketchy and any gain was lost on lack of corner speed.

#1997 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,353 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

Well done chaps. A great effort considering the changeable conditions and the oil/cement dust covering most of the track. Let's pray for sun in Wales. See you all there.

It was good fun out there and I enjoyed the challenge. I would be far more positive with a win in the bag and to lose out by a tenth is tough to swallow. Now where is that voodoo doll of the cossie gone?

#1998 startline al

startline al

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:50 PM

Anyway to reduce the drag?

Yep, keep the doors closed...... :D

#1999 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,353 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:02 PM

You had to bring that up didn't you.

#2000 Darcini

Darcini

There must be some way outa here

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:03 PM