Photo

Cliffie Double Time Attack 2012+13 Champion!

• Please log in to reply
4350 replies to this topic

#2721 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:11 PM

Simon you're bang on the money mate, I wasn't suggesting otherwise. I'm well aware of some of the budgets in Pro and the mental build costs. I was more eluding to the fact that I do not think there will be any on here who would spend that sort of money on suspension components. All in I've hit about £3200 on mine and that sort of investment is very very rare in VX'dom! Please can you describe what Jamie's done to his to get to around £9k....?

#2722 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:28 PM

Please can you describe what Jamie's done to his to get to around £9k....?

like I said, basically everything from the chassis out...

T45 spherical jointed wishbones and hub-carriers
S2 GT uprights (the motorsport versions)
1" front ARB and mounting hardware
2 way quantums with springs&helpers
Ap 304mm disks all round
4 pot callipers all round

Obviously there's a bit more to it than just buying the stuff and bolting it together etc,

now, if your only going to set the car up for 1 lap at a time, then the brakes don't need to be this spec (although you will need something!), and there's not benefit in the 2 ways if you know how to valve the 1 ways, etc etc....

Edited by Scuffers, 25 September 2012 - 09:29 PM.

#2723 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:20 PM

The hubs are insanely expensive though and I've never really understood the gains to be had from these.....? Is it just ride height and weight...? Pissing iPhone!!!!

#2724 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:37 PM

therein lye's the problem... if you understood what they do, you would realise the need for them. in simplistic terms, without them, lowering the car just moves the cars roll-centres to the point that the suspension just no longer works. in the list above, they are probably account for the greatest gains of the list. as we have already established that Mikes car runs on the same tyres, yet Jamie's was pulling a sustained1.7G in turn 1, 5, 8, 9 and 10, approx 15mph faster than Mike's car, this is where the 10 seconds is.

#2725 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:58 PM

Whats not been mentioned is that the S1 chassis is different from the VX chassis. Scuffers, what difference do you think the chassis makes?

#2726 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:01 PM

Frankly the price is the problem. Ive been told in the past that you cannot properly lower the car without effecting the roll centre but I do not understand enough about what that actually means.... Is it the wishbone angles in relation to the pivot points...? You'd consider them being the most important component in the suspension....? Then if so an affordable Motorsport hub for the VX should be your first product!!! Even Nitron's 'budget' hub is MEGA money!!!

#2727 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:02 PM

Well, it slightly different, but the basic issues are the same. VX tub is almost identical to the elite S2 (including 2-11s)

#2728 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:05 PM

Frankly the price is the problem.

Ive been told in the past that you cannot properly lower the car without effecting the roll centre but I do not understand enough about what that actually means.... Is it the wishbone angles in relation to the pivot points...?

You'd consider them being the most important component in the suspension....? Then if so an affordable Motorsport hub for the VX should be your first product!!! Even Nitron's 'budget' hub is MEGA money!!!

Just how much do you think they cost?

Way i see it, it's less than the cost of 3 sets of tyres! And if your set is right, it will make the types last a shirt load longer too.

And just how much was that TVS kit installed?

#2729 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:05 PM

Well, it slightly different, but the basic issues are the same.

VX tub is almost identical to the elite S2 (including 2-11s)

The S1 is shorter, higher and narrower isnt it? I thought it was widely accepted that the S1 chassis was the best one to build a race car on

#2730 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:08 PM

Well, it slightly different, but the basic issues are the same.

VX tub is almost identical to the elite S2 (including 2-11s)

The S1 is shorter, higher and narrower isnt it? I thought it was widely accepted that the S1 chassis was the best one to build a race car on

No
No
And no.

Yes i prefer starting with an S1 cause its cheaper and the subframe is easier to deal with, that does not mean it can't be done with a VX tub

#2731 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:12 PM

The Nitron one was around £3k but checking on Elise parts a similar parts can be had for 700 a pair..... Are there any on EP that you know of that will fit the VX? I'll take a set :) TVS kit?

#2732 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:15 PM

No
No
And no.

We shall have to agree to disagree then

#2733 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:17 PM

The Nitron one was around £3k but checking on Elise parts a similar parts can be had for 700 a pair..... Are there any on EP that you know of that will fit the VX? I'll take a set :)

But of course there are.....

And the Nitron part Is no longer about and were (IMHO) not as effective.

#2734 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:18 PM

No
No
And no.

Hard to disagree when i have all the chassis variants both physically and in CAD

#2735 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:30 PM

No
No
And no.

Hard to disagree when i have all the chassis variants both physically and in CAD

Easy to disagree when the dimensions are different, the wheelbase is different, the front track is different, the rear track is different, the subframe is different, the S2 is even a slightly different construction on the sills. All I'm saying is that the basis of the S1 and the VX is not the same, it just isnt.

#2736 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:37 PM

No
No
And no.

Easy to disagree when the dimensions are different, the wheelbase is different, the front track is different, the rear track is different, the subframe is different, the S2 is even a slightly different construction on the sills. All I'm saying is that the basis of the S1 and the VX is not the same, it just isnt.

Hate to say it but you are just plain wrong...

And since when are the grp sills part of the chassis?

As for VX vs. S2, the only differences are some of the dash extrutions, and the engine mount fixings.

Look, you can try and argue if you want, but it's not going to change the facts.

#2737 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:11 AM

Scuffers the tvs charger was a loan from a member so cost hasn't been introduced this season yet. If mike chooses to go down this route then it will cost around 2k for charger and injectors. And that's if he wants to stay on the shite ecu that can't map it properly or give any important information. It is doable on the standard ecu but it hasn't been proven it works for long yet nor would I want to risk it due to how much an unreliable race causes to the championship

#2738 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:00 AM

The Nitron one was around £3k but checking on Elise parts a similar parts can be had for 700 a pair..... Are there any on EP that you know of that will fit the VX? I'll take a set :)

But of course there are.....

And the Nitron part Is no longer about and were (IMHO) not as effective.

So would any of the Elise/Exige variants for the VX or would they need a new design tweek....?
Would they retain the original brake mount positions?
If you can get these sorted for a realistic price these will sell....

Let me know of I can help?

#2739 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:19 AM

Look, despite what people say, VX is basically the same as Elise. S2 (Toyota) most parts are interchangeable. That said, i would not want to suggest that the general masses of VX owners think it's a good idea to run the GT race upright on a road car! Without looking, i think the rears are something like £900 a pair and the fronts £700, although the rears will need to be used with updated toe links

Edited by Scuffers, 26 September 2012 - 07:20 AM.

#2740 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,611 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:22 AM

brake caliper would relocate by the same vertical offset as the bearing, although this would depend on the amount of packaging space for the steering/suspension components , they are the primary design priority.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users