Photo

Cliffie Double Time Attack 2012+13 Champion!

• Please log in to reply
4350 replies to this topic

#2741 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,611 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:27 AM

Scuffers the tvs charger was a loan from a member so cost hasn't been introduced this season yet.

If mike chooses to go down this route then it will cost around 2k for charger and injectors. And that's if he wants to stay on the shite ecu that can't map it properly or give any important information. It is doable on the standard ecu but it hasn't been proven it works for long yet nor would I want to risk it due to how much an unreliable race causes to the championship

the poor resolution of the ecu map tables is just as much a problem when running the m62

#2742 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:16 AM

brake caliper would relocate by the same vertical offset as the bearing, although this would depend on the amount of packaging space for the steering/suspension components , they are the primary design priority.

Eh?

care to explain what your getting at?

if you use VX (5 stud) bearing packs on Lotus uprights, the VX brake disks/callipers will fit just the same? (assuming we are not talking the rear GT versions with radial calliper mounts for 2/4 pots)

#2743 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:18 AM

Scuffers the tvs charger was a loan from a member so cost hasn't been introduced this season yet.

If mike chooses to go down this route then it will cost around 2k for charger and injectors. And that's if he wants to stay on the shite ecu that can't map it properly or give any important information. It is doable on the standard ecu but it hasn't been proven it works for long yet nor would I want to risk it due to how much an unreliable race causes to the championship

the poor resolution of the ecu map tables is just as much a problem when running the m62

interesting, define poor resolution?

and what ECU are we talking about?

#2744 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,221 posts
  • Interests:Stock Car Racing. Sailing, Good Food and Drink! Celtic, Scottish National Team. Bands

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:23 AM

OEM z22se ECU I assume.

#2745 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,611 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:25 AM

jimmy asked, if you wanted to make a new upright with the bearing pack offset 30mm higher , then I was just saying then the caliper would be repositioned.

interesting, define poor resolution?

and what ECU are we talking about?

2.2 uses a GMPT e15 , 2.0 uses Motronic 1.5.5

#2746 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:50 AM

And since when are the grp sills part of the chassis?

I think Mark is refering to the fact the sides of the tub are cut down in the S2/VX compared to the S1 which IIRC was simply cut to aid cabin access.

#2747 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:09 AM

I think Mark is refering to the fact the sides of the tub are cut down in the S2/VX compared to the S1 which IIRC was simply cut to aid cabin access.

Yes, the sides are shaved down at the doors, but this makes no odds to the dimensions/locations of the chassis hard points.

#2748 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:40 AM

He knows what I mean

#2749 Firthy

Firthy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:47 PM

The most informative and interesting read I have had on here for a long time.... thanks Scuffers great to hear from someone who really knows his stuff. Its quite a small community on .Org so we only really learn from trial and error from people like Jimmy Joe Cliffe Five o'clock etc... So its great to have your input.

"That said, i would not want to suggest that the general masses of VX owners think it's a good idea to run the GT race upright on a road car!"

Can I ask why you wouldn't suggest this and what the downsides are on a road car (that gets tracked more than driven on the road) as most of us run 120 rear - 110 front ride height
i.e probably low enough for it to appear to be an advantage? (to someone who knows nothing about this)

Edited by Firthy, 26 September 2012 - 12:54 PM.

#2750 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,353 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

The most informative and interesting read I have had on here for a long time.... thanks Scuffers great to hear from someone who really knows his stuff.

"That said, i would not want to suggest that the general masses of VX owners think it's a good idea to run the GT race upright on a road car!"

Can I ask why you wouldn't suggest this and what the downsides are on a road car as most of us run 120 rear - 110 front ride height
i.e probably low enough for it to appear to be an advantage? (to someone who knows nothing about this)

The GT uprights (if I am correct) do not have provision for a handbrake ie. Brembo rear caliper.

#2751 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

That can be cured with 2pot ap hand brake calipers tho :ninja:

#2752 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:58 PM

Geary does now do a version that takes the original Brembo rear caliper. Not sure why you'd really want to keep those though, if you were investing in the uprights. Would have thought it would make more sense to source a spot caliper of some form for MOT/road use and use one of the other options that allows for the 2-pots or 4-pots on the rear. :unsure:

#2753 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,221 posts
  • Interests:Stock Car Racing. Sailing, Good Food and Drink! Celtic, Scottish National Team. Bands

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

You know, I've got a set of quantum dampers, 2 way, apparently off an exige. I got them years ago and they confused me (and this forum) at the time so they went back in their box and into the garage. Maybe I shall dig them out and have a better look at them.

#2754 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,353 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

You know, I've got a set of quantum dampers, 2 way, apparently off an exige. I got them years ago and they confused me (and this forum) at the time so they went back in their box and into the garage. Maybe I shall dig them out and have a better look at them.

Wanna swap for a set of Gaz Monotubes, one careful owner?

#2755 Sticky

iTB lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:06 PM

The most informative and interesting read I have had on here for a long time.... thanks Scuffers great to hear from someone who really knows his stuff. So its great to have your input.

:yeahthat:

#2756 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,221 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:12 PM

Wanna swap for a set of Gaz Monotubes, one careful owner?

Posted Image

Grainy picture number 1 taken when they appeared.

Which look an awful lot like these:
http://www.elisepart...stable-dampers/

#2757 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:28 PM

Can I ask why you wouldn't suggest this and what the downsides are on a road car (that gets tracked more than driven on the road) as most of us run 120 rear - 110 front ride height

The GT uprights (if I am correct) do not have provision for a handbrake ie. Brembo rear caliper.

that's not what I was getting at...

the race GT ones move the centre point a shed load, this allows you to run down to ~40-50mm heights, the flip side is that at road car hights, they would be counter-productive, and to put numbers on this, I would suggest 100 is about as high as you would want to go with them (that said, a lot of this also depends on what wheel/tyre combo your running)

the other issue with them is that the rears will not work will all 17" rimms as the toe link is now VERY close to the inside of the wheel, and with some wheels where their inside profile is less than efficient, they will not clear, ie. on the Lotus, the Factory early forged rimms will not clear, but the latter ones do.

As I said before, once you get into stuff like this, you really have to look at the whole package, doing mix/match can be problematic.

for TD/road cars, the normal GT uprights are the way forward, these improve the roll centres and are optimum at ~100-120mm, ie, where most people would want to be.

Back to handbrakes, there are a few options now, we (as in Eliseparts) have a 4 pot calliper for the rears now that will accommodate from 295-330mm (x25mm) disks and incorporates a handbrake 'spot' calliper (these are what is fitted to Jamie's car to meet the TA rules of retaining a handbrake), they come with smaller pistons than the similar Eliseparts 4 pot (or AP 4 pot) to maintain the static balance of the brakes front/rear - ie, they are not for use with the std AP 3 pot front.

can't see much from that pic, however, what I can tell is that they don't look like the std Eliseparts versions (or if they are they must be one offs?)

care to get a better picture of them with a tape measure alongside them so I can work out what they are?

#2758 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,221 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:32 PM

can't see much from that pic, however, what I can tell is that they don't look like the std Eliseparts versions (or if they are they must be one offs?)

care to get a better picture of them with a tape measure alongside them so I can work out what they are?

Yeah picture was taken quite some time ago. I will hunt them down and measure them up.

#2759 Firthy

Firthy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:59 PM

Cheers Scuffers very much appreciated! Obviously there are 2 versions GT Upright and GT Race Upright. As you say the GT version would be relevant for someone like myself. Could you explain in layman terms, what benefits they would bring to a car like mine as an individual component if that's possible! I have the fairly standard TD / fast road setup of Nitron NTR's Fast Road + Standard ARB. TD's 16 - 17's As you identify above this has to be done as part of a package but unfortunately I don't have that sort of cash so its all about up grading part by part. I am unconvinced an ARB is going to do much for me as I have absolutely zero understeer as it is. (probably wrong here) could you explain what you would prioritise first to optimise my set - up. I appreciate this is not an easy question! I know a lot of people upgrade their anti roll bars but on the whole seem to be unimpressed with the results, just wondering if this is a better option? Sorry for all the questions / thread drift :)

#2760 TazN

TazN

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Airsoft, American Football, Cars

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:53 PM

Maybe we should create a seperate thread for Scuffers to impart knowledge if he's able and willing to spend time answering questions so Mikes thread can stay on track (forgive the pun) Mike if you could get sponsors would you be looking at doing another season? I can only imagine the time and dedication it takes to compelte an entire season after seeing Sundays effort.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users