Photo

Cliffie Double Time Attack 2012+13 Champion!

• Please log in to reply
4350 replies to this topic

#2941 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

Let me know if you want a chargecooler :D

#2942 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,611 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

:yeahthat: , good luck in Pro , you will be missed at the trackdays this year.

#2943 JG

JG

• 13,611 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

Darron will be on the nitron 46 race spec shocks this year. Why does everyone think that Ronnie is our only competitor? Who knows who else will enter and what they will bring performance wise. Theres no point having loads of power making the car undriveable and unreliable. It will be totally different from last year as the car is different. Mike was strong in the wet as Ronnie had all that torque to cope with, Darron is going to have the same problem. We are going to try and win but who knows what the season will bring.

We will have a right laugh doing it and im looking forward to seeing Darron try and race with a hangover each weekend :lol: . Cant wait to see how we get on and i just hope that we are closely matched with our nearest competitor so we can take points of each other each round and build up a bit of tension. Reliability, keeping the car and driver in one piece and the weather are all big factors in scoring points. Bring it on!

Good luck in pro Mike thumbsup

thumbsup, and we can't wait to read about it. Best of luck thumbsup

#2944 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

Someone mentioned turbo torque being a problem in the wet (which it is!). However, it is easily remedied with a MBC. If anyone want info on how to buy and install one of these I'd be happy to oblige. It is just a £40 mod and will allow you to reduce the torque (and power) down to the base spring rate in the wastegate. I run one on my car and can reduce the torque down around 260ft/lb and 350 BHP which also smooths power delivery very nicely.

#2945 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,103 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

Remember that darrens car (as far as we can tell) is going to be similar to that of mikes last year, so mikes car would be a benchmark for him. I believe he is using the same shocks as mike did last year aswell.

If darren creates a car the same as mikes 'was' (power/weight/aero) and ronnie has upped his game even more then he is going to struggle beating Ronnie for the win. The easiest way to get a faster lap timein this case is to increase power (imo) so as i said before, unless he has turned into a racing driver whos knows everything power is the next step.

As far as I can see scuffers is saying that mikes car as it was last season was capable of going much faster exactly as it was so if Darren's is similar then even if Ronnie ups his game, the car as it is, driven hard and keeping the speed up in the corners may still win with no changes. So he doesn't 'need' more power.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by zoobeef, 16 January 2013 - 01:24 PM.

#2946 JG

JG

• 13,611 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

I don't think Mike is getting much more Power so i think everyone is doing and saying the same thing.

#2947 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

I don't think Mike is getting much more Power so i think everyone is doing and saying the same thing.

you would need to ask him, but I have 'suggested' to him that he leaves the engine alone...

my target for his car is to get ~6-8 sec's (of the 10) he is behind Jamie's at Snett 300 just with suspension and setup work, I then need to work on Mike.

#2948 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,103 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

Eye, looks like he's concentrating on the setup and driving to hopefully chip the seconds off that Jamie was managing.

My last post was in reference to Darren needing the extra power because ronnie will be upping his game. If darrens car is capable of faster laps than mike did last season following what scuffers has said then the power is not needed to stay ahead of Ronnie (or any other challenger)

#2949 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Remember that darrens car (as far as we can tell) is going to be similar to that of mikes last year, so mikes car would be a benchmark for him. I believe he is using the same shocks as mike did last year aswell.

If darren creates a car the same as mikes 'was' (power/weight/aero) and ronnie has upped his game even more then he is going to struggle beating Ronnie for the win. The easiest way to get a faster lap timein this case is to increase power (imo) so as i said before, unless he has turned into a racing driver whos knows everything power is the next step.

As far as I can see scuffers is saying that mikes car as it was last season was capable of going much faster exactly as it was so if Darren's is similar then even if Ronnie ups his game, the car as it is, driven hard and keeping the speed up in the corners may still win with no changes. So he doesn't 'need' more power.

Aye i know, which is why i said darren either has to hone his skills to become a better driver to use what he has got or up the power.

#2950 jamiewillson

jamiewillson

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

Mike, Club Pro 2WD sounds like a sensible choice. Sort of halfway between Club and Club Pro in terms of competition. However, I sort of feel sorry for Bo etc as you'll destroy them!!!! I take it there is no FWD/RWD division? Not sure why the Hel S2000 is in that class, with it being a tuner car with proffesional driver........ (still think you should stop being a pussy and go in Club Pro though) Good luck with the build. Time is draining away fast now with so much to do!!

#2951 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,103 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

Aye i know, which is why i said darren either has to hone his skills to become a better driver to use what he has got or up the power.

And honing his skills is deifintly going to be the cheapest, reliable and probably the most fun route :D

#2952 G-Bob

G-Bob

Embarrassing VX's in an MX5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,256 posts
  • Interests:Silver VX Bashing!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

What's the first thing that we say to a newbie when they join the forum and ask what their first mod should be to be faster on track? We tell them that the best mod is driver training. I think this still applies here. Even the top F1 drivers still get training.

#2953 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Tyres are the best mod you can do ti go faster on a track.

#2954 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

You still need to be able to drive, to make the most of them, though.

#2955 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Any feel for the number of other cars in your class yet, Mike? Busier sessions and trying to find space to make the most of things could be even more important, this year, than last. :unsure:

#2956 Firthy

Firthy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

"Aye i know, which is why i said darren either has to hone his skills to become a better driver to use what he has got or up the power." Or... work on suspension setup and time on WOT thumbsup :D

#2957 JohnTurbo

JohnTurbo

SuperScruff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts
  • Interests:Performance cars!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

This is brilliant. When I said Darron is great in the dry...Its the wet that will need focus as he avoids wet trackdays loke the plague I gather. As if to illustrate the point here; we'll be in club with the 525hp (1025kg) fc rx7 and dont expect to trouble any vxs.

#2958 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

You still need to be able to drive, to make the most of them, though.

Driver training isnt exactly a 'modification' its an evolution of skill.

If the same driver was to test a number of cars all standard apart from 1 different thing changed on each i believe the better tyres mod would be fastest.

#2959 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

Yeah but I got a big willy. :lol:

#2960 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

If the same driver was to test a number of cars all standard apart from 1 different thing changed on each i believe the better tyres mod would be fastest.

to a point, maybe, there are limits though

bolt a set of slicks to a std VX and see what happens, you might be surprised....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users