Photo

Cliffie Double Time Attack 2012+13 Champion!

• Please log in to reply
4350 replies to this topic

#3221 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

i see.. so in a sense you will be wearing them more at the cost of better usage from the tyres overall.. ie, with the added downforce you have you can utilise the tyres that bit more in the corners or under acceleration so that directly relates to an increase of tyre wear..

#3222 jamiewillson

jamiewillson

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

LOL regarding the wing comments. This picture makes it look far bigger than it really is and it won't give as much downforce as you probably think. It's just to sort the front-to-rear balance if we crank the rear wing up. It might not even work, but we'll find out soon enough at Mira. It'll get people talking, that's for sure!!!!!

Only just got the rear wing today Jamie, one at a time please.

I realise you are now Jamie Two Wings but I still have more likes than you on FB!

Yes Mike, I noticed!!!! You're doing well there. Got to ask though, how the f**k did you manage that. Anyway, we're meant to be working as a team, so can you promote the EP page too please :) Chop chop.

Glad you got the wing. Send me a pic if you can be arsed. I just want to see what the weave is like.

#3223 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

i see..

so in a sense you will be wearing them more at the cost of better usage from the tyres overall.. ie, with the added downforce you have you can utilise the tyres that bit more in the corners or under acceleration so that directly relates to an increase of tyre wear..

No.

#3224 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

i see..

so in a sense you will be wearing them more at the cost of better usage from the tyres overall.. ie, with the added downforce you have you can utilise the tyres that bit more in the corners or under acceleration so that directly relates to an increase of tyre wear..

No.

#3225 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,353 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

LOL regarding the wing comments. This picture makes it look far bigger than it really is and it won't give as much downforce as you probably think. It's just to sort the front-to-rear balance if we crank the rear wing up. It might not even work, but we'll find out soon enough at Mira. It'll get people talking, that's for sure!!!!!

Only just got the rear wing today Jamie, one at a time please.

I realise you are now Jamie Two Wings but I still have more likes than you on FB!

Yes Mike, I noticed!!!! You're doing well there. Got to ask though, how the f**k did you manage that. Anyway, we're meant to be working as a team, so can you promote the EP page too please :) Chop chop.

Glad you got the wing. Send me a pic if you can be arsed. I just want to see what the weave is like.

Won't see the wing till next week when I am back up there.

As for FB, it is a well planned marketing strategy that set me in good stead. Let me know if you ever need a marketing consultant. As for plugging the EP page, I have loads of my friends liking your page now so I am doing my bit.

#3226 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

i see..

No.

what you mean NO... the more you utilse a tyre the more it will wear.. the faster you go, the harder you corner the more it will wear.. if adding downforce allows you to corner faster (which it does) how does it not wear your tyre more?

#3227 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,353 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

i see..

No.

what you mean NO... the more you utilse a tyre the more it will wear.. the faster you go, the harder you corner the more it will wear.. if adding downforce allows you to corner faster (which it does) how does it not wear your tyre more?

If by adding front downforce you get the front to turn in better with reduced scrub, the tyre will last longer as the scrub of understeer will wear a tyre much quicker than the usage of a controlled turn in.

#3228 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

Why does this have to be so hard work? More downforce = less tyre scrub = tyres run cooler = less wear. Speed has chuff all to do with it.

#3229 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

:dry:

#3230 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

im genuinely trying to understand this.. we know that a tyre works best with a small percentage slip (4-6% slip / optimum slip angle), so as the tyre is slipping very fractionally wear and abrasion happens, if you add a downwards force to the tyre whilst its in its slip angle the greater the effects of wear and abrasion. (im picturing a rubber, i move it across the table to simulate the slip angle the more downwards force i apply the more grip i get but the more rubber bits come off (wear)). as far as i can see your assuming that the car prior to the extra downforce (jamies car) was getting more slip than necessary (outside the slip angle causing understeer) so by adding the extra downforce you can reduce the understeer, reduce the tyre scrub/slip and therfore reduce the rate at which the tyres wear out.

#3231 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

Hardly an assumption, managed to wipe out a set of front tyres run in ~30 laps. I do know what understeer is you know. As for you assumption on slip angle, 4-6% is massive, think more like <1%. Lastly, if you put 500kgs downforce on your rubber, just how much effort us it going to take to make it slip?

#3232 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

Hardly an assumption, managed to wipe out a set of front tyres run in ~30 laps.

so you put front downforce on jamies car to reduce/solve the understeer you were suffering but that doesnt mean that adding downforce doesnt increase tyre wear generally.

I do know what understeer is you know.

i never said you didnt.

As for you assumption on slip angle, 4-6% is massive, think more like <1%.

that depends on the tyre doesnt it? compound, sizes and not only that but the amount of lateral force being applied to the tyre?

Lastly, if you put 500kgs downforce on your rubber, just how much effort us it going to take to make it slip?

its going to mean you have to be putting more lateral force on the tyre before it slips, so ultimately you will be cornering faster/harder basically getting them G's higher.

Edited by chris_uk, 26 February 2013 - 10:36 PM.

#3233 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

:popcorn eating smiley: :D

#3234 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:16 AM

What's the point? He's clearly not listening....

#3235 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:55 AM

and this is a man that does not understand the difference between mass and (down)force.

#3236 darronwall

darronwall

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,706 posts
  • Interests:the older i get the more my genitals look like jeremy clarkson

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

stand up that boy that coughed!!!!

#3237 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,353 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:23 AM

and this is a man that does not understand the difference between mass and (down)force.

Simon, this is my chief mechanic so you guys better start playing nicely.

Chris, remember Anglesey where we killed a set of soft fronts in a single session? That was due mainly to understeer and the turn angle of the car being less than the turn angle of the front tyres. I literally tore the tread off those Kumhos.

#3238 MAXR

MAXR

I’m jealous of Batman’s driving skills

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Interests:Tennis, Golf, classic Ferrari's

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:37 AM

Mr Scoffer, Why do you have to reply to comments in such an arrogant, rude manner? You may well be more talented behind the wheel of your car than most on this forum & even more knowledgable & experienced on setting up cars. But, there is NO need to talk down to people no matter how silly comments may seem to you. Max

#3239 GeorgeBC

GeorgeBC

Needs a cheaper hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Interests:Cars and mountain biking

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:47 AM

Simon, this is my chief mechanic so you guys better start playing nicely.

Chris, remember Anglesey where we killed a set of soft fronts in a single session? That was due mainly to understeer and the turn angle of the car being less than the turn angle of the front tyres. I literally tore the tread off those Kumhos.

Jamies car killed its front tyres that day as well. So did lots of other cars as well.

#3240 Darcini

Darcini

There must be some way outa here

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

Mike, this guy's attitude is in danger of alienating not only the members of your team but a lot of the .org support. We all know how knowledgable he is and valuable to your cause but ffs so are other people. There really is no need to be so rude.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users