Photo

Cliffie Double Time Attack 2012+13 Champion!

• Please log in to reply
4350 replies to this topic

#3361 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

i know because i have seen them, ollie at pheonix motorsports showed me them side by side. could they of been 2-11 ones maybe? sure he said 304r tho

#3362 cnrandall

cnrandall

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:09 PM

Its 211 that are different... easy mistake to make. With 'GT' style uprights they aren't needed though as the wishbone angles are improves through a change to the bearing height.

#3363 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:33 PM

i knew it was one of the other.

#3364 jamiewillson

jamiewillson

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:45 PM

Ramp angle is one of the things I looked into a fair bit when rebuilding my car for last year and it's a tricky one to decide on, as you can choose to bring the wing into play to help it, perhaps at the cost of wing performance.

I made my diffuser so that I can change the ramp angle and also left it at quite a conservative length. I also positioned the wing much more rearward than you usually see so that I could, if I wanted, use it to work with together with the diffuser. I ended up running my wing at near to it's highest setting. With my diffuser at about 14 degrees it still kept the flow attached. I reckon if we lowered the wing down a bit we could run the diffuser with quite a bit more ramp angle, but as with all this sort of stuff you never seem to find the time to test it out. Ride heights would have been similar to what Mike will be running and with his new wing being the same as mine, he's sure to be able get that diffuser working well at a decent angle, hence me asking what angle it would be set to.

Posted Image

Fins are that depth due to our lower ride height and reduced ground clearance.

given that IIRC you're at a rear ride hight of 60mm then they should extend to the min ground clearance allowable in the regs of 40mm to cut as much leakage between channels as much as possible, they also really need to extend as far forward as possible. I've no idea WTF that in the middle is supposed to be, it won't act as a double diffser or add any negative pressure that's for sure. Sorry to be netgative but from the looks of it the majority extra downforce from this will be due to weight.

To answer jamies question the ramp anlgle should be dependent on the ride hight in that for a standard ride hight you can keep a ramp of 12 or more degrees and the flow won't seperate away however if you drop that to 50-60mm then you need a much lower angle like the classic 7 degrees to keep the flow attached.

#3365 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,353 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:00 AM

The angle will be adjustable.

#3366 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,353 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

It lives!!! Fired up for the first time since September and running sweeeet!

#3367 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

Got it sorted then?! Sorry I couldnt be more help with my complete lack of any useful knowledge :D

#3368 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

On the new edu?

#3369 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:06 PM

Great news Mike

#3370 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,353 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:07 AM

Got it sorted then?! Sorry I couldnt be more help with my complete lack of any useful knowledge :D

I can tell you why I couldn't get it to crank... I had forgotten to plug the starter button back in under the dash.

It runs on the old ECU which is where we are starting the season. It is only fair and right to give the EP Tuning stuff the chance to prove itself with the same power levels that we finished last year on.

#3371 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

To summarise, what are your key mechanical/running gear mods please Mike ?

Edited by Nev, 09 March 2013 - 09:20 PM.

#3372 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,353 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:49 AM

Engine wise, nothing Nev. Chassis has had the full EP Tuning treatment with gt uprights, bushes, ally bells and ap discs, ep four pots front and rear, 1" , quick rack, anti bump steering arms, welded up rear subframe. Also a complete rethink of the aero.

#3373 Sticky

iTB lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

Will you need/want/have access to some sort of wind tunnel for the aero?

#3374 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

Chassis has had the full EP Tuning treatment with gt uprights, bushes, ally bells and ap discs, ep four pots front and rear, 1" , quick rack, anti bump steering arms, welded up rear subframe.

Welding up that bendy rear subframe is a good idea, it's stupidly flexible IMO. Those uprights with higher set hubs will help a good deal I think, I ordered up a set to be made myself but got badly let down by the same company (MK Motorsport) that makes them for some of the other TA Fords, in the end I had to demand my money back.

Do you actually find bump steer intrusive on smooth tarmac? I can't say I notice it much on mine even though my steering rack arms are 15 degrees off the horizontal.

#3375 Steffen

Steffen

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

Posted Image

No worries, sussed it out.

Nice total weight.
I'm working the last weeks, and I think still other 2 weeks, on my setup and so I have some questions to you.

How full was the tank?

Is this your final setup?
I want to explain my question.
I've the same problem, like I see by you, the car is balanced on the front without driver.(I think this weight is without driver!)
With weights on the driverseat (to simulate the driver weight) the balance is 20 kg more on left (LHD) than
on the right side, on the front and and the rear axle by my car.

Weight without driver:
front:169kg 169kg
rear: 252kg 249kg
Total 836kg

With 90kg weights for the driver:
front: 203kg 182kg
rear: 280kg 261kg
Total 926kg

I tried to set the high so that the sum of the diagonal weights is equal, in my case 462kg to 464kg, and I hope it will work fine.

Do you setup your car in the same way?

#3376 Winstar

Winstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:22 PM

Ramp angle is one of the things I looked into a fair bit when rebuilding my car for last year and it's a tricky one to decide on, as you can choose to bring the wing into play to help it, perhaps at the cost of wing performance.

I made my diffuser so that I can change the ramp angle and also left it at quite a conservative length. I also positioned the wing much more rearward than you usually see so that I could, if I wanted, use it to work with together with the diffuser. I ended up running my wing at near to it's highest setting. With my diffuser at about 14 degrees it still kept the flow attached. I reckon if we lowered the wing down a bit we could run the diffuser with quite a bit more ramp angle, but as with all this sort of stuff you never seem to find the time to test it out. Ride heights would have been similar to what Mike will be running and with his new wing being the same as mine, he's sure to be able get that diffuser working well at a decent angle, hence me asking what angle it would be set to.

I have to say I'm surprised that you get a diffuser to work with such a high angle and low ride hight, although I'm not familiar with the exige aero.

My model in of a std VX showed that you can gain 20 kg of down force over the standard setup

From the OEM and short style diffuser results below you can see that there is only a small are of low pressure, if you look a the stream lines it can be seen that this is because the high depression in the center of the car causes the most of the flow to be pulled down the center of the diffuser. Additionally you can see that the air flow under the body upto the rear wheel arches is pretty uniform but after that there is flow leakage from the rear wheel arches.

Posted Image

Posted Image

So to stop this you need to have multiple vanes in the diffuser that extend as far to the ground as possible, these are 40mm from ground, and extend the full length of the undertray
Posted Image
Posted Image
However you can get almost the same downforce by having just the outer vanes extending the full length of the undertrayt to stop the leakage from the wheel arches
Posted Image
Posted Image
You could probably fine tune the diffuser a bit more to get a few more % increase but cutting off the leakage from the wheel arches is what make the difference.

As you can see from the vector plots on the high ride hight the flow diffuses quite well, although it's still a degree or two hight. However if you then drop the ride hight to 50mm then the diffuser doesn't diffuse the flow and the underbody flow velocity is much lower thus creating less negative pressure.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3377 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,353 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

Posted Image

No worries, sussed it out.

Nice total weight.
I'm working the last weeks, and I think still other 2 weeks, on my setup and so I have some questions to you.

How full was the tank?

Is this your final setup?
I want to explain my question.
I've the same problem, like I see by you, the car is balanced on the front without driver.(I think this weight is without driver!)
With weights on the driverseat (to simulate the driver weight) the balance is 20 kg more on left (LHD) than
on the right side, on the front and and the rear axle by my car.

Weight without driver:
front:169kg 169kg
rear: 252kg 249kg
Total 836kg

With 90kg weights for the driver:
front: 203kg 182kg
rear: 280kg 261kg
Total 926kg

I tried to set the high so that the sum of the diagonal weights is equal, in my case 462kg to 464kg, and I hope it will work fine.

Do you setup your car in the same way?

Weight was with no fuel or driver.

The car will be set up as is with no driver to ensure each corner has the right amount of preload and contact patch. It is too easy to get really hung up on trying to get everything spot on and to be honest, with this car at this level, it simply is not worth the time, effort and headache.

#3378 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

It runs on the old ECU which is where we are starting the season. It is only fair and right to give the EP Tuning stuff the chance to prove itself with the same power levels that we finished last year on.

I doubt you would make much more power if any it would be limited to a few horses however it would be a much more reliable setup and more engine friendly

#3379 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,353 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:15 PM

I doubt you would make much more power if any it would be limited to a few horses however it would be a much more reliable setup and more engine friendly

It could as I can drop pulley sizes and fuel it with the new tank/pump set up if I had better control.

#3380 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

Yeah obviously if you fitted a smaller pulley you can get more power but you can do this with standard ecu :rolleyes:

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users