Photo

Cliffie Double Time Attack 2012+13 Champion!

• Please log in to reply
4350 replies to this topic

#3861 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:02 PM

Who do we need to beat again???

i think now it has come down to how clever/smart we are and not how outright fast we are. 

All that said, it was only 1.646 sec's to front of the next class.......

#3862 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

On the run from the grammar police!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:16 PM

Who do we need to beat again???

i think now it has come down to how clever/smart we are and not how outright fast we are. 
The smart thing being not to talk tactics on an open forum? ;)

#3863 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

its not exactly tactics, its just common sense. 

if they haven't already thought of the same then i would be very very surprised.

#3864 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:07 PM

I agree, don't go there with the Nos Mike.  You're already asking alot from your engine!

#3865 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:08 PM

Maybe think of water/meth injection to keep intake temps down. Your engine will like it... :happy:

#3866 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,353 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

The engine was indeed built as a high powered FI unit with forged internals, the weak point is now the liners. We built the car this season with all the upgrades to prove a point and that point is how much faster we can go with all the EP Tuning stuff; it seems we have been too successful with that aim. NOS aside, do we want to continue to prove that point, take the strikes and face a class bump or do we want to sandbag, let others take class wins and probably not win the season anyway as Bo, Romain, Richard and David have no strikes and are unlikely to get enough in the remaining rounds to do so. I am in TA to go as fast as I can regardless of class and slowing down to lift trophies is not what it is about in my book. Surely a class bump to ClubPro 4WD or even Pro 2WD shows what progress we have made and just how good the Quantum/EP Tuning stuff is and we can hold our heads high in the knowledge that we stuck to the core values of the championship? I have a feeling that the TVR will get bumped to full Pro with Scuffers anyway so we could stand a good chance of some good finishes in that class. As for the NOS, it does have an off switch and we can chose to run or not to run but I have been sponsored by the kit supplier and the gas supplier so I am committed to fit it. Do we want to win the championship in ClubPro 2wd or do we want to continue to push the limits of me as a driver and prove the speed and worth of the car we have built? My feeling is we continue to race the main challenge in our class which is the S2000 and take whatever bump comes our way.

#3867 cnrandall

cnrandall

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:30 AM

Its simple Mike... two things you need to do... DRIVE FAST, DON'T CRASH!

#3868 Darcini

Darcini

There must be some way outa here

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

If you are so much quicker than the majority of cars in your class then any victory will be a hollow one.

Only way to prove both yourself and the car is to go up against genuine competition, I say foot down and take whatever bump comes along.  rallly

#3869 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

"I am in TA to go as fast as I can regardless of class"

Thats the crux objective and good on you for realising it. All these tactics and "fitting to rules" is simply artificial limits. A race/track car should aim to be as fast as possible (by definition) and not be 'capped' by somebody elses rules. Full stop.

GL with the NOX, it's cooling properties for combustion are will be way more influential than a charge cooler, so has strong merit on that regardless of power.

#3870 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

"I am in TA to go as fast as I can regardless of class"   Thats the crux objective and good on you for realising it. All these tactics and "fitting to rules" is simply artificial limits. A race/track car should aim to be as fast as possible (by definition) and not be 'capped' by somebody elses rules. Full stop.

I thought that was the whole idea behind Time Attack - tuners demonstrating that their car could do the fastest lap on a given day. thumbsup thumbsup

#3871 JG

JG

• 13,611 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:21 PM

You need to go proper racing Mike :D

#3872 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,353 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:57 PM

You need to go proper racing Mike :D

It would be nice to do James but whilst the budget to compete is similar, I just could not budget for the damage that would ensue in wheel to wheel antics.

#3873 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

that's OK, so long as you accept the outcome of the championship....

also worth mentioning that it's only the final time that counts towards strikes...

(also, I had not considered that the TVR will get strikes... he's definitely within 5%)

if you do go down this route, please allocate some more time/budget to testing..... Honestly, I think I could probably find you at least 1-2 sec's at Snett just in your driving style.

#3874 Goosenka

Goosenka

Jeep Driving jolly nice chap

• 12,716 posts
  • Interests:Fried breakfasts, coffee and dogs

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

Dumb question, but I don't follow/know the TT rules but these 'rulings' you speak of does it mean that if you do really well in one class you can get moved up to the higher class?

#3875 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,353 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:06 PM

Dumb question, but I don't follow/know the TT rules but these 'rulings' you speak of does it mean that if you do really well in one class you can get moved up to the higher class?

Goose: you get a strike if your final time is within 5 seconds of the winning time in the class above . Three strikes in a season and you get bumped up a class.

#3876 Goosenka

Goosenka

Jeep Driving jolly nice chap

• 12,716 posts
  • Interests:Fried breakfasts, coffee and dogs

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

Goose: you get a strike if your final time is within 5 seconds of the winning time in the class above . Three strikes in a season and you get bumped up a class.

Ah ok. Makes sense I guess but then you run the risk of struggling against the faster ones in the class above and therefore less podium finishes.

#3877 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,353 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

that's OK, so long as you accept the outcome of the championship....   also worth mentioning that it's only the final time that counts towards strikes...   (also, I had not considered that the TVR will get strikes... he's definitely within 5%)   if you do go down this route, please allocate some more time/budget to testing..... Honestly, I think I could probably find you at least 1-2 sec's at Snett just in your driving style.

If I go down this route Simon, I want some of your sexy slicks... Nothing is decided: I think we need to sit down with Geary at Snetterton before the final and talk tactics.

#3878 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,353 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

Ah ok. Makes sense I guess but then you run the risk of struggling against the faster ones in the class above and therefore less podium finishes.

And less points and points win championships. To be honest; I switch from wanting to win the Championship to wanting to go as fast as I can.

#3879 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:16 PM

Nothing is decided: I think we need to sit down with Geary at Snetterton before the final and talk tactics.

Good place to start. thumbsup

#3880 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:38 PM

Personally I see no problem with tactics.  People are talking about it being against the 'ethos' of time attack but these are in general not people involved in competing. 

The people who are involved tend to value winning their chosen championship and given the opportunity to win a championship or get bumped up to a class where you will not win will tend towards dominating their current class.  As Scuffers said there is a massive element that goes against the grain and I can see the dilema here I really can but there's no right and wrong answer for me and if I'm honest I would drive in such a way to avoid another strike OR challenge the strike rule in general.

It also works the other way though.....  Jamie got striked up from his club season into club pro and with the accumilated club points ended up winning the club pro title.  Take some time and discuss what suits YOU Mike and go for it.  People may judge but that wont take away trophies and wont put off sponsors when they see two time champion on your slate :)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users