Photo

Cliffie Double Time Attack 2012+13 Champion!

• Please log in to reply
4350 replies to this topic

#4021 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:06 AM

So why not fit the TMAP and not use the T function, leave the T pre charger and have the benefit of the higher spec boost sensor?

thats what you do do.

#4022 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:07 AM

I'd go back to the known safe larger pulley myself. But, I don't know what (if any) changes Courtenay did to the ECU map to support that smaller pulley.

Otherwise, fit the TMAP in the inlet manifold and only wire up it up to act as a standard (but 2.5bar) MAP sensor and leave the existing IAT sensor alone until the ECU calibration is sorted one way or another. Moving to the 2.5bar without supporting ECU calibration changes will mean the car runs a bit leaner as the ECU will slightly under read the pressure in the manifold and be fuelling for the air pressure it thinks it's seeing and not what is really there. The real question, is that slightly leaner mixture dangerously lean or still within the safely (too rich?) calibration we have now.

Either way, it's worth a conversation with Jon Shield to see what he reckons. Especially as they've now mapped Lee's car and have at least some knowledge about the effect of the 2.5bar TMAP sensor.

#4023 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:26 AM

Lee had the TMAP on the car when he took it to CMS, apart from his FPR problem they should be able to say if they had to tweek the map around having a TMAP rather than a MAP sensor, worth a call

#4024 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,353 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:28 AM

That conversation has already happened Matt and we are waiting on Lee to feed back his experience with the TMAP. My fear is that Lee will not have driven his car with the, how can I put this, gusto with which I rag mine.

Jon can easily flash my ECU with the old larger pulley map by post and all will be fine. Wish we had fitted the larger pulley at the weekend, I just didn't think.

The one thing Nick, Lee and I have in common is we are all running the smaller pulley (2.75)  whereas the other CMS customer (also a Nick) has the 2.9.

#4025 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:33 AM

OK, keep it simple...

you need a 3Bar MAP sensor.

the world is full of them, GM ones are cheap/reliable etc..

the hard part is you need somebody that can re-calibrate the ECU to work with a non-std MAP sensor, which I am kind of assuming is something that can be done?

Don't make this any harder than it has to be, 

#4026 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:34 AM

Lee was at the Chavfest at Santa Pod on Sunday putting it through it's paces on the strip and some handling circuit they'd setup, so guess he'll have given it a fair workout.

#4027 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:40 AM

the hard part is you need somebody that can re-calibrate the ECU to work with a non-std MAP sensor, which I am kind of assuming is something that can be done?

Not to date, with the standard ECU. Mapping on the standard Delphi ECU has always been the limiting factor for any of us SC'ers (or NA'ers for that matter) and it's been a bit of a bodge all the way along as it's far from open, unlike the Bosch ECU's.

There is the "Dutch remap" which you might have seen reference to. That's basically a complete new firmware for the standard ECU which supports 2.5bar and 3.0bar TMAP sensors out of the box and allows self mapping. Not cheap but if Mike is going to keep getting problems and have to keep going backwards and forwards to North Walsham then it becomes a much more viable solution.

#4028 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,353 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:48 AM

To keep it simple would be to revert back to 333BHP that we had last year and not run the boost so high.

The Dutch software only becomes viable if it is either free or somebody buys it for me. 

#4029 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:49 AM

Mike there is some miss information out there.

I have mentioned this before but the other Nick, his car is running my 2.8"pulley [color=rgb(255,0,0);]NOT[/color] a 2.9 that is why CMS couldn't fit my 2.8 because it was used to get the other Nicks car up to 377. I am on a 2.9 which is probably one reason I have not suffered the loss of throttle problem as much as Lee or yourself. My ecu is off to Peter today so will see what happens. I will be putting my 2.7 Pulley on since I don't seem to have a 2.8 :(

Edited by NickB777, 11 June 2013 - 09:52 AM.

#4030 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,353 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

BTW Simon, I looked at the TSL times and watched that video again. I did cost you points and I am sorry. Truth be told, I didn't see you till I was halfway round Corum.

#4031 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:14 AM

Having read through this and Lee's thread while he was at CS, I can't help but feel that CS have reached the limits of what they can do with the ECU levers they have. Any progression past this point is simply more bodging which will lead to less reliability and highlight the difference between what a CS mapped car and a Dutch mapped car can do. I know that the cost and timing mid-season makes it look difficult to do, but going forward with these high powered cars it seems the Dutch map is the way to go.

In other news, Mike if you want me to sort out the fibreglass damage you're picking up during this season let me know. It's the least I could do given the amount of enjoyment i've had reading about your TA seasons.

#4032 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,353 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:32 AM

If you want to come over one weekend anf fix the clam, you are very welcome, you can do the sills while you are at it. I make good tea!

#4033 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,353 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:36 AM

Just spoken to Lee and so far the TMAP sensor is all good but it will mean a remap back at CMS.

#4034 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

If you want to come over one weekend anf fix the clam, you are very welcome, you can do the sills while you are at it. I make good tea!

The sills are a pain to do, but i'd be happy to give it a go. Busy turning my car purple at the moment so won't be able to do it for a month or so, is it worth waiting until the TA season is over before doing this or is some more urgent?

#4035 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:58 AM

if its not possible to do it before oulton dont worry, i will do it. 

#4036 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,353 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:58 AM

I do need to stick up the hole in the front clam where the splitter support goes, the sills can wait, they have been buggered for two years at least.

#4037 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

They are properly buggered now though. :(

What you need to do is to make up some side skirts to cover the damage and reduce the leakage under the sides of the car (but not to drop the ground clearance too much now TA have got their new testing toy). :wacko:

#4038 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

Can certainly do it by Oulton, i'll be in MK picking up more fans when they're delivered next week or the week after, can pop over then.

#4039 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:14 PM

cool. 

dont worry too much about the sills, im going to try make something like the elise has.

#4040 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,353 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

They are properly buggered now though. :(

What you need to do is to make up some side skirts to cover the damage and reduce the leakage under the sides of the car (but not to drop the ground clearance too much now TA have got their new testing toy). :wacko:

I have three driver's side skirts off a Leon K1 if that helps?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users