Photo

Cliffie Double Time Attack 2012+13 Champion!

• Please log in to reply
4350 replies to this topic

#941 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:50 AM

Lower comp pistons mean we can run higher boost safer. Also means the engine isnt as stressed. Matrs right tho, lower compression = lower power

#942 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

On the run from the grammar police!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:50 AM

Thats about right, the pistons won't add any power.

If you've fitted lower compression pistons, they actually drop the power.

:o

#943 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,353 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

Thats about right, the pistons won't add any power.

If you've fitted lower compression pistons, they actually drop the power.

:o

Not at all. The lower comp pistons allow higher boost which will in turn give higher power. My issue isn't pistons, it is my cams that are letting me down restricting intake duration at the top end.

#944 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

Instantly dropped the power of my original high compression conversion 12bhp moving to low compression pistons despite being remapped with them. What it did mean was being able to run more ignition advance and gave a bigger safety margin. Power only increased again with smaller pulley, different injectors and new stoopid exhaust.

#945 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,353 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

Instantly dropped the power of my original high compression conversion 12bhp moving to low compression pistons despite being remapped with them. What it did mean was being able to run more ignition advance and gave a bigger safety margin. Power only increased again with smaller pulley, different injectors and new stoopid exhaust.

Which is the full stage three conversion Techie. You are on a 2.9 I assume?

#946 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

Indeed I am, the screaming little b4st4rd.

#947 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,611 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

if there weren't other silly bhp in the class, then just stage 2 would have been sweet.

#948 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,353 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

if there weren't other silly bhp in the class, then just stage 2 would have been sweet.

Agreed Steve and Jimmy won class last year with 263BHP so proof that it is just about right. Sadly everyone has chased power and as much as I can get the thing round corners and brake late and get the power on early, there are a good few long straights where lack of puff will be the points breaker such as Snetterton, Cadwell and Anglesey.

#949 luke.

luke.

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

Steve Fitzpatrick in his m3 hasn't touched the engine at all so will also be interesting to see how he gets on. Hopefully the guys who have chased big numbers have problems with reliability.

#950 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

:yeahthat: Low CR & Eaton Supercharger is not a very good combination as Techie experienced... Better keep the CR around 9.5 and the SC boost not too high. (Avoid SC power loss + high temps.)
And if you fitted hotter cams that keep the inlet valves longer open (lowers dynamic CR) it may be wise to go 10.0 CR.

But you do need a good mappable ecu to tweak the ignition tables... :sleep:

#951 VX-GT

VX-GT

me-thin-king

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

Can somebody confirm standard pulley dia I have seen on US forums quoting 3.35 and UK forums quoting 3.2

#952 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

3.35 thumbsup

#953 VX-GT

VX-GT

me-thin-king

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

:yeahthat: Low CR & Eaton Supercharger is not a very good combination as Techie experienced... Better keep the CR around 9.5 and the SC boost not too high. (Avoid SC power loss + high temps.)
And if you fitted hotter cams that keep the inlet valves longer open (lowers dynamic CR) it may be wise to go 10.0 CR.

with some simple calcs

If one lowers CR from 10:1 down to 8.9:1

to negate this the pulley is reduced to 3.0 that returns you to status quo

So 2.9 pulley is only a 3% increase (almost linear growth)

I agree with Exmantaa Infact I think with reduced dynamic CR due to Cams, it may be advantageous to Raise CR to over standard 10:1 as we know that standard (10:1) is acceptable

Edited by atom x, 27 April 2012 - 06:40 PM.

#954 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

lee had standard compression and a 3" pulley and got exactly the same power although was blowing map sensors left right and centre so since moving down to low comp and a 2.9 it is now the same bhp but not blowing map sensors (yes i know the simple thing would have been to get a bigger map sensor but then it cant be mapped to it :beat: ) my CR is 9.5:1

#955 VX-GT

VX-GT

me-thin-king

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:47 PM

lee had standard compression and a 3" pulley and got exactly the same power

same power being?

altering CR should not affect MAP as it does not alter Manifold pressure's

Edited by atom x, 27 April 2012 - 06:51 PM.

#956 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

im on the bigger charger, havent tried it with standard m62

#957 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:12 PM

with some simple calcs

I agree with Exmantaa Infact I think with reduced dynamic CR due to Cams, it may be advantageous to Raise CR to over standard 10:1 as we know that standard (10:1) is acceptable

Not complete Status Quo, as the smaller pulleyed SC takes now more power to spin (less crank HP) and the higer boost/revs pushes it into a less efficient zone (higer intake temps).
But it's tricky trade-off... => Use E85 or Meth injection and you can still run ~25* advance on a high-ish compression. :happy:

#958 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:08 PM

with some simple calcs

I have low compression pistons and 3 pulley inch = 255bhp (required VXR Injectors)
Sutol originally std internals 249bhp, changed to low compression went to CMS an no difference in BHP or map

#959 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

your exhaust is hugely restrictive

#960 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:11 PM