Photo

Cliffie Double Time Attack 2012+13 Champion!

• Please log in to reply
4350 replies to this topic

#1281 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,353 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

I know, it is either that or we raise the car up 10mm and stiffen the shocks right up.

Want to borrow my Nitrons? :wub:

F-U-C-K Off

#1282 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

:lol:

#1283 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,179 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:33 PM

Now now everyone :lol:

#1284 Sticky

iTB lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:39 PM

Just for the record, I was def joking. Although my Nitrons are 500F/700R so are prob stiffer as needed.

#1285 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:56 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#1286 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,179 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:00 PM

Woah, 500/700? I thought I had stiff springs at 475/550, 700 must be solid.

#1287 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

The clicks on my Nitrons were erratic from day 1. IIRC both rears were serviced due to loss of clicks and the rear o/s was again rebuilt when the adjuster started sticking at last years National. The whole lot were presumably rebuilt when they were revalved when I had softer springs fitted. In my experience they are not a fit and forget item.

Now now Steve, I think you're forgetting the something from the National and the issue you had with your shocks.....?

I remember helping you out with them and can confirm 100% the knob was siezed solid..... I remember you with the mole grips hanging off them :D Remember why though....? Oh yeah; you were spinning it the wrong way......:lol: You wound it right back past fully soft and jammed the knob :lol: I've told nobody about this until now as I promised you at the time but you just forced my hand :lol:

#1288 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:06 PM

The clicks on my Nitrons were erratic from day 1. IIRC both rears were serviced due to loss of clicks and the rear o/s was again rebuilt when the adjuster started sticking at last years National. The whole lot were presumably rebuilt when they were revalved when I had softer springs fitted. In my experience they are not a fit and forget item.

Now now Steve, I think you're forgetting the something from the National and the issue you had with your shocks.....?

I remember helping you out with them and can confirm 100% the knob was siezed solid..... I remember you with the mole grips hanging off them :D Remember why though....? Oh yeah; you were spinning it the wrong way......:lol: You wound it right back past fully soft and jammed the knob :lol: I've told nobody about this until now as I promised you at the time but you just forced my hand :lol:

Phew... thank goodness for that, I thought for a minute someone had problems with a set of Nitrons! :P
carry on :)

#1289 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:41 PM

Phew... thank goodness for that, I thought for a minute someone had problems with a set of Nitrons! :P

Lets not kid ourselves, I bet Nitron do get issues and returns etc but it's not common :)

#1290 Sticky

iTB lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:22 PM

Woah, 500/700?
I thought I had stiff springs at 475/550, 700 must be solid.

Not sure I really need an ARB :P

#1291 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,353 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:02 AM

Lets not kid ourselves, I bet Nitron do get issues and returns etc but it's not common :)

I am sure they do as well, they just don't get talked about.

#1292 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:29 AM

I remember helping you out with them and can confirm 100% the knob was siezed solid..... I remember you with the mole grips hanging off them :D Remember why though....? Oh yeah; you were spinning it the wrong way...... :lol: You wound it right back past fully soft and jammed the knob :lol: I've told nobody about this until now as I promised you at the time but you just forced my hand :lol:

That's we thought at the time. Once I was out of panic-mode it was clear that it had jammed in the middle and not at the end. It happened again before I went to Le Mans which led to it going back for a rebuild.

PS IIRC at the time I purchased the Nitrons, the collective wisdom was that they would need a service/rebuild every couple of years as a matter of course.

Edited by VIX, 14 May 2012 - 08:31 AM.

#1293 jamiewillson

jamiewillson

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:31 AM

Mike, what springs are you on out of interest then? That rear wing of your is big and must be pulling the back end right down. I'm running 875lb springs on the rear and 750lb springs on the front, along with a very stiff Pilbeam ARB on its stiffest setting and there was talk of having to go higher still after Cadwell. Before we took a bit of wing angle off mine at Cadwell, you could actually see the whole car going into compression down the pit straight. Of course this is fine if you have the dampers and springs to control it and the power to drive through it.

#1294 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:31 AM

Can a mod split this nitron/gaz crap and put it in its own thread or merge it into one of the many others? I wanna read about mikes car and his progress not pages of bickering about gaz and nitrons issues. As for your thoughts on raising the car mike, i recon 10mm will hardly be noticable and probably raise it all around until it clears at least that way we know how much we need to look at and then we can have a look at where to go next. 450/550 i think hes using.

Edited by chris_uk, 14 May 2012 - 09:33 AM.

#1295 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:53 AM

Can a mod split this nitron/gaz crap and put it in its own thread or merge it into one of the many others?

I wanna read about mikes car and his progress not pages of bickering about gaz and nitrons issues.

What a great Idea,

#1296 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

It's the .org way, you do that in one thread and mods will then have to dedicate there life to doing it in the rest to make it fair.

#1297 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

I'm running 875lb springs on the rear and 750lb springs on the front, along with a very stiff Pilbeam ARB on its stiffest setting and there was talk of having to go higher still after Cadwell.

Bugger me... (not literally) that is stiff - you must be producing some mega downforce to press the car down that hard.

#1298 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,353 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

Hi Jamie, 450 Front 550 Rear I have to confess, I like it a bit softer (ooerr missus). Should I just go stiffer all round?

#1299 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,353 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

Just for the record, I was def joking.

Although my Nitrons are 500F/700R so are prob stiffer as needed.

I know you were.

#1300 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

Can a mod split this nitron/gaz crap and put it in its own thread or merge it into one of the many others?

I wanna read about mikes car and his progress not pages of bickering about gaz and nitrons issues.

What a great Idea,

Hang on a mo guys before you take this 'holier than thou' approach this is Mike's thread and he was just as involved in the discussion as anyone else (he's still commenting on it today, but I'll be the bad guy if I respond.....?).

Additionally I notice every one of you guys calling for an end to the back and forth are the same people who've bought/are buying the Gaz mono's so hardly impartial regardless of how magnanimous you try to portray yourselves. Chris you yourself joined the 'bickering' so it sticks in my throat to hear you condemn it as if you were not involved.

I suggest if you want to read less about the subject we drop it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike as for your car, I had it in my head you were on harder springs than that for some reason.... IMO stiffer is defo the way but you have to remember that your softer springs do help out in the wet. To be fair you did great in the wet so I'm not too sure I'd change them for stiffer as you have to take wet weather into account. Jamie has the luxuary of isolated bump adjustment which he can reduce if it rains, you do not as you have a predefined bump/rebound ratio on your shock so maybe a 'happy medium' approach will work better. Either that or two set of springs....?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users