Photo

Cliffie Double Time Attack 2012+13 Champion!

• Please log in to reply
4350 replies to this topic

#1301 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

Hi Jamie,

450 Front 550 Rear I have to confess, I like it a bit softer (ooerr missus).

Should I just go stiffer all round?

I have some 650's in the loft I think. You want a borrow?

#1302 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:47 PM

Changing the springs over to harder ones (maybe 550 front & 650 rear) shouldnt be too much of a pain if we had to do it on the day but In a perfect world id rather we had another set of coils for wet setup so everything is adjusted and all we had to do was swap the unit over, that way were not messing with the ride heights.

#1303 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

Do it prior to the day if you are going to do anything leaving it to the last minute is not ideal.

#1304 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

I agree joe but sometimes you cant guarentee what the weather is going to do. All we can do is make it so we need as little time as possible to do anything we need.

#1305 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:00 PM

im not bothered about changing springs etc but at the moment you are talking about changing ride heights etc so do this before the event rather than at the event e.g. the toe link situation at cadwell.

#1306 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

The logistics and cost involved in having a number of setups rule it out for me. Whether the session's wet or dry is sometimes a last minute decision so would be too much grief to change everything over.... I think a halfway house setup is fine. Upgrading Mikes springs will take some testing to get him used to the setup so the wisdom in changing this now the season's already up and running and he's performing well is questionable imo.... Not perfect but it is what it is and seems to be working!

#1307 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:19 PM

Because of the rideheight mike has to change the springs means you will have to wind the nut back to slacken off the spring to get it out, if you do that you alter the ride height so you would have to count the turns or put some markings on them both of which are easy enough but thats why i said in a perfect world we could have two sets. Both with the right clicks, heights and springs etc.

#1308 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,353 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:24 PM

Right, short term I can get a second set of springs, longer term I am working on a wet set of dampers and a dry set of dampers. No need to adjust ride height as they will be set the same and we know from Cadwell that we have a good wet setting. I view the suspension debate as fair enough and I haven't taken offence to any of it.

#1309 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:27 PM

Thats cool. I have all the data we need to setup the wet shocks from cadwell.

#1310 JohnTurbo

JohnTurbo

SuperScruff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts
  • Interests:Performance cars!

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:41 PM

Wet dampers ftw. Do it the day before on weather prediction...or in the morning. Doesnt have to be a rush. Nice plan.

#1311 cnrandall

cnrandall

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

What wet tyres are you using?

#1312 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:48 PM

T1rs

#1313 alanoo

alanoo

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:52 PM

Mike, what springs are you on out of interest then? That rear wing of your is big and must be pulling the back end right down. I'm running 875lb springs on the rear and 750lb springs on the front, along with a very stiff Pilbeam ARB on its stiffest setting and there was talk of having to go higher still after Cadwell.

Before we took a bit of wing angle off mine at Cadwell, you could actually see the whole car going into compression down the pit straight. Of course this is fine if you have the dampers and springs to control it and the power to drive through it.

I have actually been mocking up a Z bar on mine to avoid this, but could not find suitable mountings points...
Maybe I'll give it another try if I have enough time later this year

#1314 Crabash

Crabash

Scared

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:14 PM

How about a dry setup which includes front and rear ARB's, if it rains disconnect/adjust them??? Very fast adjustment, enabling reaction to the weather. Not perfect I agree but better than being stuck on a dry setup in the rain.

#1315 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:32 PM

Can a mod split this nitron/gaz crap and put it in its own thread or merge it into one of the many others?

I wanna read about mikes car and his progress not pages of bickering about gaz and nitrons issues.

What a great Idea,

Hang on a mo guys before you take this 'holier than thou' approach this is Mike's thread and he was just as involved in the discussion as anyone else (he's still commenting on it today, but I'll be the bad guy if I respond.....?).

Additionally I notice every one of you guys calling for an end to the back and forth are the same people who've bought/are buying the Gaz mono's so hardly impartial regardless of how magnanimous you try to portray yourselves. Chris you yourself joined the 'bickering' so it sticks in my throat to hear you condemn it as if you were not involved.

I suggest if you want to read less about the subject we drop it.

Wasn't that at all Jimmy just the tread is "Cliffie Does Time Attack" , not "Who are bettter, Gaz or Nitrons" easy to to sort that though, lets start a new forum section, we can put the "Nitron/Gaz" debate next to the one "Which is better Turbo, NA or S/C of ITC" thread :lol:

Seriously though I just want to read about Cliffie and TA, I know you guys like to banter but other site visitors don't it also won't half cut down on the number of pages I have to read Imnotworthy

O and yes I have brought some Gaz mono, I thought I would give them a try and I an fortunate I could afford either so it wasn't just cost that made me try them, I will reserve final judgement till after I have had them for a while, If I don't get on I will try some Nitrons then Quantums or one of the many other brands till I find the right one for me. That is assuming I get my car back on the road first, but thats the "ECU change thread" another story :rolleyes:

#1316 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

You spoke to Jon lately about that?

#1317 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:07 PM

You spoke to Jon lately about that?

different thread ;) :lol:

yea will pm you

#1318 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:08 PM

:lol: dam :lol:

#1319 cnrandall

cnrandall

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:09 PM

T1rs

Urgh, that's a bad choice. You will be on a hiding to nothing with those, they are hard as nails. Before you worry about 'wet' damper, worry about the tyre choice and get that correct. Realistically, at club level there is an argument that says the last thing you want to do is change the driving characteristics of your familiar car when the conditions get worse.

#1320 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:13 PM

What wet tyre would you suggest? Bearing in mind we dont have one of those trees where you can use the leaves as payment.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users