Photo

Cliffie Double Time Attack 2012+13 Champion!

• Please log in to reply
4350 replies to this topic

#1801 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:57 PM

There isn't really alot of rules to break to be fair!

Unless he has a secret nos bottle :lol:

Or not running a cat...

Don't think CAT's in the regs mate

#1802 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,353 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:36 AM

Time Attack cars need to be built to MSA regs which state a cat must be fitted but I bet I am the only car with a cat in the field. I spoke to Marc Herridge at Autosport International in January. He confirmed that cats must be fitted but "doubted he would scrutineer them".

#1803 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:54 AM

I spoke to Marc Herridge at Autosport International in January. He confirmed that cats must be fitted but "doubted he would scrutineer them".

Whats the point of having rules and then deliberately and knowingly allowing people to break them?

That must be irritating for people (such as you Cliffie) who actually make the effort and spend the money to comply with the rules :glare: Not to mention the BHP penalty in this case...

#1804 Rally

Rally

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:42 AM

Time Attack cars need to be built to MSA regs which state a cat must be fitted.

But only for non-race cars built after 1999

#1805 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

The cat rule won't apply to Ronnie as it only became compulsory for manufacturers to fit a cat in 1992. All RS500's were manufactured in 1987 so ford will not have fitted a cat as per OEM.

#1806 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:29 AM

I spoke to Marc Herridge at Autosport International in January. He confirmed that cats must be fitted but "doubted he would scrutineer them".

Whats the point of having rules and then deliberately and knowingly allowing people to break them?

That must be irritating for people (such as you Cliffie) who actually make the effort and spend the money to comply with the rules :glare: Not to mention the BHP penalty in this case...

Every s/c car which has been tested showed a drop in bhp when no cat was installed.

#1807 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,611 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:32 AM

which doesn't make any sense at all, is there a lot of cam duration overlap?

#1808 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:03 AM

You could get away with a cheap cat which you've rodded the guts out of. It will look like there's a cat there but it will essentially be a straight pipe. Do you want my old tullet cat?

#1809 James@MSD

James@MSD

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:11 PM

Hello guys, just thought i would pop in and say hello, we are part of Ronnies team and mapped his car this year. So you can blame us for the extra power he has.:-) Nothing on the car is secret, so ask away if there is anything you want to know. the Basic spec of the motor is a pretty std YB, running a T38 Turbocharger @32PSI making around the 450bhp mark with similar torque. It is running our ALS/LC and closed loop software, so although it has no cat fitted in the exhaust it is possible to retro fit one if need be, and the car will very nearly pass a cat test without one in place. even though its an antique lol.

#1810 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:53 PM

Welcome James, so tell us, what's Ronnie's achilles heel? ;)

#1811 James@MSD

James@MSD

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:26 PM

I wouldn't say he really has one. RONNIE himself can really pedal and he knows the tracks pretty well now. As for the car, well it's been damm good this season, nothing but a few small issues which we have sorted and hopefully prevented happening again, Our aim is to make the car stronger and stronger at each event . Grip is a big issue with so much power through the rear wheels with no weight back there it has struggled in the wet or damp. We are fitting a funky boost controller this week so we can map a few different boost curves rather than just flat out, and this will allow us to run a spike of boost in the mid range on one channel for another 30-40 lb/ft if it's needed.

#1812 James@MSD

James@MSD

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:40 PM

We had a test day at brands yesterday and the car is really strong there this year, with passengers he was almost 5 seconds faster than last year already We have some great videos of him pushing a race prepped Ferrari challenge 458 on slicks around the track It is Ronnies home circuit and he likes it very much there, it should be a fantastic day again for us all and hopefully we can see some of you guys there too, feel free to pop in to the paddock for a chat :-)

Edited by James@MSD, 29 June 2012 - 05:46 PM.

#1813 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:03 PM

Alright mate, nice to hear from you and all but if you're just coming here to big up the Ronnie massiv and all so 'subtly' Tell us how ace he is you can jog on :lol: Let's all spam the ford thread :lol:

#1814 Baron Von Scubadaddy

Baron Von Scubadaddy

STAGE 3.333333333333333333333333333333

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,643 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Cars,..... ! spending time asking questions about why my car won't work

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

who's Ronnie that snooker fella ??

#1815 JohnTurbo

JohnTurbo

SuperScruff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts
  • Interests:Performance cars!

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:18 PM

Its just so odd. Normally I only see Sierras spinning dangerously towards me on tracks. You spot a Sierra and think "I'll give THAT a wide birth." They aren't meant to 'work'.

#1816 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:20 PM

Alright mate, nice to hear from you and all but if you're just coming here to big up the Ronnie massiv and all so 'subtly' Tell us how ace he is you can jog on :lol:

Let's all spam the ford thread :lol:

Bit harsh. We've just learned that a can of WD on each tyre the night before will help him along.

#1817 Baron Von Scubadaddy

Baron Von Scubadaddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,643 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Cars,..... ! spending time asking questions about why my car won't work

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:23 PM

I see no one is going with my Snooker theme !

#1818 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:33 PM

I see no one is going with my Snooker theme !

The only thing I know about snooker is an easy pink or a tricky brown.

#1819 Baron Von Scubadaddy

Baron Von Scubadaddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,643 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:36 PM

You gotta think about it .................. we all know it's better to screw back off the pink into the brown but thats not were I is coming from .

#1820 James@MSD

James@MSD

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:14 PM

Mike joined our forum and said hello so I thought I would do the same here. I'm not interested in a forum slanging match though if I'm honest. I'm here as a car enthusiast Jimmy you seem very pleasant. You may think we are all enemiies or something equally pathetic, but I can assure you mike is no enemy of ours we are all out for some fun and are glad to help anyone we can.

Edited by James@MSD, 29 June 2012 - 08:18 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (2)