• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 convict

convict

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:49 PM

I went from a Mk2 Mx5 1.8s to an NA and now back to a Mk3 Mx5. Whereas I loved my first Mx5, there's no way I'd rate any bit of ownership (other than the heater and the bacon butties the mazda dealer used to make me) over the VX. Strangely enough though, I much preferred my Mk2 to my (wife's) Mk3; the Mk3 is a much nicer place to sit in but the handling is a bit too twitchy and it doesn't feel as nippy. Neither compared to the Vx in terms of overtaking though. I'd disagree with the comment above about more space in the Mx5 (especially in the Mk3); I was always much more comfortable driving the VX than either mazda due to the lack of space for my legs in the mazda. And I did 90k in the VX

#22 eafy

eafy

• 7 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:06 PM

They are 2 completely different cars and neither was designed to compete with the other. Mx5s are amazing cars at what they do which is deliver fun topless motoring. The Mx5s 'handling' doesn't mean grip. In standard form its a very soft car but very very fun and it 'feels' fast. The Vx IS a fast car and id guess its has more absolute grip in the bends. Its going to be faster and handle better. Id say that if your thinking about it then give one a drive. The best advice you will get is from your arse and it won't lie to you ;) I don't have a VX220 but I do have a supercharged Mx5 which is rather interesting. Id consider the switch one day.

#23 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
  • Interests:Whisky.Keeping reptiles.Cars.
    The odd bike ride, fell walk and weights
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:24 PM

May help 0 to 100 tells a better tale 0 to 100 2.2 na is about 16/17 sec The 125 bhp 1.8 mx5 is about 30 sec Also a lot of the na vx s will have a few mods like de cat and sport exhaust and are a tadge faster (well sound it ) Bhp / ton is 168 for the na and 100ish for the mx Dont quote me its approx LOL Also the vx is much much better at knocks and rattles and noise and bumps and thumps way better than the mx In the right hands it will corner faster

Edited by ghand, 28 December 2011 - 05:33 PM.

#24 14500rpm

14500rpm

• PipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Interests:Boobs, Cars. Motorcycles.

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:16 PM

A VX (NA or Turbo) is a lot more focused than a MX-5, it can corner faster, accelerates faster and is a lot sharper. On the flipside its not an ideal only car, where as you could live with an MX-5 on a day to day basis quite easily as long as you don't need to transport too much stuff around. You can park it in the street without too many worries, you can get in and out of it easily, it has a very good heater (AC too on some cars), the roof goes down easily, etc...

The level of tuning for MX-5s is almost infinite though so if you do need something with more of an edge then its easily available - turbos, superchargers, there are kits available to transplant small lock Ford and GM LSx V8 engines. They're so good that I kept my slightly modded ongoing project MX-5 when I bought the VX. In conclusion MX's are superb little cars.

Posted Image

#25 Silent Steve

Silent Steve

Tit

• 2,000 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:17 PM

I used to own a Mazda MX5 1.6 mk1 (brand new - one of the later, higher powered ones) from 1996 to 2001. I enjoyed every drive we took in it. It handles beautifully, was perfectly reliable and just felt great. I thoroughly enjoyed being the recipient of wolf-whistles and waves from builders and my weekend trips to Brighton were always fun-packed; people like you in an MX5 and I thoroughly recommend them. My NA is on another planet for acceleration, handling (the MX5 never made me make involuntary laughing-noises) and, most importantly, feel. However the VX is less reliable (it's the oldest car I think I've owned) and is as practical as a chocolate fireguard. If you have driven both and you are still not sure, (sincerely) go for the MX5; the MX5 never made me regret her. The VX sometimes does. Good luck.

#26 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,510 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:30 PM

• is this not the same info?
http://www.vx220.org...20-experiences/

#27 theotherjonnymac

theotherjonnymac

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:19 PM

One for the girls to answer. I have never seen a bloke driving an MX5!

#28 dw1

dw1

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:31 AM

I came from an MX5 to a VX via an S2000. In my opinion an S2000 is a more extreme version of an MX5 and the VX is mre extreme than an S. The MX5 is a fantastic car, I loved it and it made me smile every day. Compared to a VX the MX is a regular road car that feels a bit special at times, the VX is an event. It's quite a jump (compromise) to move to a VX from an MX, just be prepared for the hand built elements! My view for the uninitiated... http://www.vx220.org...en&fromsearch=1

Edited by dw1, 29 December 2011 - 12:33 AM.

#29 Whiteboy

Whiteboy

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,950 posts
  • Interests:F1, track days, cars ,cars and cars.

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:00 PM

I went from a modded VXT to a MK3 2.0 MX5 and the only reason was is I wanted to save money and run one car. I could not live with a VX as a daily runner, as I was too worried about ruining it and the heater was crap. I do enjoy the MX5, but it is just not as special to own and the road is littered with them. I really enjoy the heater and the heated seats and the handling with lsd is fun. I just do not feel I could ever love it though and it feels so slow after previous cars I have owned, which have all had turbos. Steve

#30 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,034 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:10 PM

I went to have a play with an MX-5 (new version) and found the experience fun, but woeful in comparison. In the end I gave up on the idea of one, because it was just a numbed VX, with a good heater but smaller boot. Oh and even the 2.0 SportTech just didn't feel lively once you got out of the ample 2-3,5k mid-range torque. Ended up buying a 2008 1.6TDCi Focus and put some money away, with a view to either use as a mortgage deposit / VX project / Classic Mini / Classic Bug project.

#31 iain3915

iain3915

• PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:41 PM

Thanks for all the opinions. I'm going to go for a drive in an NA next week and then the plan is to sell the MX5 and hopefully a nice NA (or a cheapish turbo) will come up soon after. I do understand the ethos of the VX and the focus on handling delicacy rather than straight line speed. I was just curious as I'm getting a little bit too used to the MX5 acceleration. Still, to those who say the MX5 is a hairdressers/girls car - Try one! I had a great time today out in the rain tweaking the tail out on tight bends. When I bought it, it was the perfect car for me (and still isn't far off) as it's about the most fun I could insure aged 20 with 0 NCB. 21 now so VXs have fallen into the insurance budget :) I really don't think I will mind the difficulties of VX ownership as I consider myself a slightly more hardcore MX driver than average! Roof down even with the wipers on their fastest setting! One last question - what is the cheapest I am likely to pick up a turbo for? I've seen a few sell for about £9k.

#32 coople

coople

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Interests:F1, Diving and cycling.

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:11 AM

How would you insure a turbo vx at 21 with one years ncb??? In fact I just got a quote pretending to be 21 through tesco with 1yncb on my car (not declaring mods and fully comp) and the cheapest was £4629.88 you must be pissed!!

#33 coople

coople

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:16 AM

Oh and 3rd party fire theft was a cheap £4015 a year. Seems like a bargain.

#34 dw1

dw1

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:17 AM

9k is possible for a turbo but not likely in top condition. My advice would be don't rush in, be prepared to walk away from one. Know what to look for and it is worth paying that little bit more for a well looked after one. It will save you in the long run. P.s. the handling is great on the VX but when it starts to go, it goes and is a lot harder to catch due to its mid engine. The MX with its front engine, RWD and softer setup means that you get plenty of lovely warning and time to catch a tailslide in it. P.p.s. go for an NA, you won't be disappointed, just make sure it's a very well sorted one. If after a few years you crave more power then can supercharge it.

Edited by dw1, 30 December 2011 - 01:20 AM.

#35 coople

coople

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:25 AM

Most expensive fully comp was £9892. :ninja:

#36 iain3915

iain3915

• PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:49 AM

Haha. Postcode makes a huge difference to my insurance quotes! I nearly ended up living in London after graduation where I would have struggled to insure anything. Also, parents as named drivers brings it down a lot (with me still as main driver of course).

Quotes in Glasgow with 0 NCB are £1290 for an NA and £1550 for a Turbo. Considering a 1.0 Micra is about £750 I don't think they are bad at all! I pay £1250 on the mx5 just now.

I doubt I could insure a VX in London.

#37 iain3915

iain3915

• PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:52 AM

P.s. the handling is great on the VX but when it starts to go, it goes and is a lot harder to catch due to its mid engine. The MX with its front engine, RWD and softer setup means that you get plenty of lovely warning and time to catch a tailslide in it.

I do fully appreciate this. I will be driving very carefully when I do finally get one/test drive one. I'm very conscious of what the car is doing under me and the effects of weight transfer and too much throttle.

#38 AMOSS

AMOSS

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:09 AM

I had a Supercharged Mk1 MX5(Eunos) 1.6 (200 bhp +) before buying my VX220 and still have in bits. To be honest the MX5 was quicker in a straight line and handled almost as good as the VX. The MX5 was far more comfortable and predictable in the corners. However i will always opt for the VX220 as it is a real buzz to go for a blast around the country lanes. Not as common and definately not a 'hairdressers' car. Just go an try one out, its the only way to make your mind up.

#39 herbie147

herbie147

• Pip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Your mom

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:35 AM

If your up near Aberdeen i'll give you a ride in my turbo. You wont want an NA after that ;) I'll be advertising it for sale in the spring.

#40 LazyDonkey

LazyDonkey

Lotus imposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:52 PM

i had a 1.6 mk2 before i bought my VX NA. Night and day, makes the mx5 feel like a normal car that you can remove the roof on. Oh and the heater is SHITE in comparison :D Im away for the festive season but im back in glasgow on the 3rd if you want a look round my car rallly

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mx5

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users