AP Bells Pads Nitron

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#121 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
  • Interests:Whisky.Keeping reptiles.Cars.
    The odd bike ride, fell walk and weights
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:28 PM

Buy a leg press machine and build up your quads :lol: like Paul says a VX on 1155s or similar will out break most cars, you may have just got used to the things and are not realising how bloody fast you are slowing. Just a thought. Any other cars you can compare stopping distances with for a guide. When I went from standard to 1155s the jump was massive and it transformed the car. Now it's just normal.

#122 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,785 posts
  • Interests:Big baps.

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:17 PM

I'm not being a fanny - nowt wrong with my leg muscles as many a shafted young lady will testify! :P

Re comparisons, I think there is something not right with my car as I've driven another VX it had way better brakes than mine - but, I either upgrade or refurb, and I'm thinking of an upgrade, and the big thing I'm looking for is better bite with lower pedal pressure.

Reading this thread (and others) some people have them and some don't, as this is about brake improvement concensus, yet it doesn't seem to have been established yet!

One thing I have noticed across the threads is that fitting the AP 4 ports is not an improvement, but fitting the racing 4 pots and putting the standard fronts on the rear makes a huge improvement. Is that a concensus those that have tried can agree on? Should I go down that route for a road car, or just refurbish my clearly clapped out 11 year old standard setup?

#123 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

Chuck in new fluid, new regular discs all round(cheap!) and RC5+, if they still don't do it for you the RC6 will rip your face off. If its road the 4 pots won't do jack for you. I went from 1155s to RC5 and big difference and great for road

#124 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,785 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:25 PM

I put new discs on when I put the 1155's on and they're still fine. I also had the fluid changed, although it's time to do it again. I think a pad upgrade is worth a try.

#125 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:31 PM

Are you pressing hard and getting the abs kick in?

#126 peteslag

peteslag

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Interests:real ale, food, real ale

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:37 PM

I've had my VX on 6 different tracks and never experienced any braking issues. I've kept things simple, RC5+ pads, RBF600 brake fluid, 4 channel ABS, standard discs and I keep my calipers in tip top order. I generally give up before my brakes do.

#127 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,785 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:52 PM

The ABS will kick in if I press hard enough, that's the point though, I don't want to have to press that hard.

I keep my calipers in tip top order. I generally give up before my brakes do.

How are you keeping your calipers in tip top order? Also, if you're giving up, isn't that an indication of pedal effort?

#128 Paulus H

Paulus H

Evil Triumphs When Good Men Do Nothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Interests:I really appreciate my car. I have piled on 100,000 miles in 8 years of ownership. I still love every day I get in it

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:10 PM

I have to say the 4 channel ABS brain is a huge improvement. Paul

#129 peteslag

peteslag

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:11 PM

The ABS will kick in if I press hard enough, that's the point though, I don't want to have to press that hard.

I keep my calipers in tip top order. I generally give up before my brakes do.

How are you keeping your calipers in tip top order? Also, if you're giving up, isn't that an indication of pedal effort?

The front calipers were refurbed by the previous owner, I believe AP Racing do kits for them and that it isn't that difficult to do.  The rears are more tricky due to the handbrake mechanism. Kits are available but it is extremely difficult to do. I started doing my rear left and had to admit defeat. I sent it to a caliper refurbisher in the end.

When I say give up, I'm talking about me generally being knackered. I've never felt like the brake pedal is taking too much effort to push. Even at Blyton Park when you are on and off the brakes every 5 seconds I never had any issues with the brakes at all.  If any thing, they seem to work better when they are hot.

#130 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,785 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:26 PM

I have to say the 4 channel ABS brain is a huge improvement. Paul

I fitted this recently, and it is an improvement, but not in my case to pedal effort and initial bite.

The front calipers were refurbed by the previous owner, I believe AP Racing do kits for them and that it isn't that difficult to do.  The rears are more tricky due to the handbrake mechanism. Kits are available but it is extremely difficult to do. I started doing my rear left and had to admit defeat. I sent it to a caliper refurbisher in the end.

Ok, so this might be the way forward. I have the kit and a spare pair of calipers, just not fitted them yet. I was wondering whether to fit the kit but stick the calipers on the rear and get some 4 pots. May I ask the name of the firm that did your rears?

#131 ianrm

ianrm

Joined - in the past 10.02.2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Football, Cars & Fish keeping.

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:37 PM

My brake history - 

Standard pads from new. Not very good.

After a year I changed to Mintex 1144, braided hoses and high temp brake fluid. Good improvement.

Next I fitted the AP 4 pots and discs on the front with Pagid RS15 pads and RS15 rear pads. Night and Day difference particularly when brake from high speed.

Last year just before the National I thought I would try 1155 all round. Not a patch on the Pagids.

The ABS has been switched off since I fitted the 1144 and has never been turned off.

#132 peteslag

peteslag

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:39 PM

I'll not tell you the name due to the fact they are crap! My auto adjust had never worked properly since they got their hands on it.

#133 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,785 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:54 PM

It was this excellent post by dw1 that many refer to and got me thinking.

vi) Do you want better pedal feel? A 4 pot system may help here

He also suggests trying things in stages, which I was hoping to avoid, but maybe it's the very best way forward.

Lesson 5. Modify your braking in stages

If I'm going to do this I'll do in this order: -

1. Refurb my spare set of front calipers and install first - with some braided steel hoses. 2. CL5+ pads.

3. Consider a big brake kit.  

#134 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:14 PM

IMHO, braided hoses add nothing over normal rubber (if comparing new in both cases) unless you are some sort of epic race driver

#135 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,785 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:33 PM

It's just my hoses are ancient and should be replaced really, but yes, I've never noticed any difference when changing over to them on bikes.

#136 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:13 AM

Changing my brake lines was the biggest mistake I've made with this car, took about six months of regular bleeding before I got brake feel back.

#137 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:22 AM

You do need to give the front calipers some rough love to get all air out after doing the lines. Inverting didn't work for me but a leather hammer did

#138 peteslag

peteslag

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:04 AM

It was this excellent post by dw1 that many refer to and got me thinking.

vi) Do you want better pedal feel? A 4 pot system may help here

He also suggests trying things in stages, which I was hoping to avoid, but maybe it's the very best way forward.

Lesson 5. Modify your braking in stages

If I'm going to do this I'll do in this order: -

1. Refurb my spare set of front calipers and install first - with some braided steel hoses. 2. CL5+ pads.

3. Consider a big brake kit.  

I would exhaust every avenue before going for the big brake kit. If your braking system has some sort of issue, a big brake kit will make naff all difference. I have standard calipers front and rear and have never had any complaints. I must of got lucky when I replaced my flexi hoses, no problems what so ever with brake feel since I did it. I only went the braided hose route because it worked out cheaper than OEM hoses. I totally agree that braided hoses make no difference over rubber.

#139 Hopey

Hopey

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:36 PM

Sorry to revive an (excellent) old thread, but was wondering what the options are for rear brake upgrades?  The various options for front upgrades are well documented here and elsewhere but there is less info on the rears.  I gather it is possible to fit the standard front calipers onto the rear, but then wouldn't you lose the handbrake function?

Obviously you can change the discs/pads etc but was wondering if there are any upgraded rear calipers that allow you to keep the handbrake (and hence pass an MOT)?

Thanks!

#140 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:57 PM

Sorry to revive an (excellent) old thread, but was wondering what the options are for rear brake upgrades?  The various options for front upgrades are well documented here and elsewhere but there is less info on the rears.  I gather it is possible to fit the standard front calipers onto the rear, but then wouldn't you lose the handbrake function?

Obviously you can change the discs/pads etc but was wondering if there are any upgraded rear calipers that allow you to keep the handbrake (and hence pass an MOT)?

Thanks!

If you fit the standard front calipers to the rear, then you can fit spot calipers to the rear for the handbrake. Think they wwere sold by Steffen on here?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users