• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 toffer

toffer

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:57 AM

Hi
I have had several contacts asking about bringing a VX to NZ or Australia.

Well I have done both. SO to help folk Out over the next few days I'll post what i lerant here so its all in one place.

What I can tell you before I start is that it cost me more to move the Car to Australia from NZ than it did to move it from UK to NZ.

Why bring it to Australia then? Well its my baby and has been from new in UK in March 2001. Also when I looked at selling it in NZ and then using the funds to buy something in Australia - I figured spending the $10K approx meant I had my VX and some other crappy car to drive in. I would have had to top up by about $40-50K to go for a an Elise at ;east equivalent to the VX - but IMHO its just inferior to the VX.

However, first thing you have to do is De-register it from the UK.

Of course you have to go to the DVLA site for that here is what it says about exporting a vehicle

4 Telling us about a permanent export
If you are taking your vehicle abroad (including the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands) for more than 12 months, this is considered to be a permanent export. In this situation you must fill in section 11 of the V5C with:
• the date of export, and
• sign and date the declaration.
Note − filling in this section will not produce an export certificate.
The V5C replaces the need for a separate export certificate.
Send section 11 to us at DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD. Keep sections 1 to 8 of the V5C to take with you when you take the vehicle abroad. You can use these sections to register your vehicle abroad. Get rid of sections 9 and 10 securely.
If you are taking your vehicle to Northern Ireland do not fill in section 11,
as we do not regard this as an export. You must take the whole V5C with you.
If you are taking your vehicle out of the country for less than 12 months do not fill in section 11. You must take the whole V5C with you.
If you are traveling soon, for example, you are traveling in less than 6 weeks, and you do not have a V5C you should contact your nearest DVLA local office for advice about obtaining a ‘Temporary Registration Certificate’ (V379).
Note: DVLA is unable to issue a V379 if the vehicle is registered as Category “C” Salvage, but can instead issue a ‘Vehicle Salvage Export Certificate’ (V963) (this is not for re-registration purposes). This only applies to cars.

Here is the link for all the forms .

You will need the export certificate when applying for registration / import into either NZ or Australia.

It is also quite possible I'll be explaining how to bring a VX back to UK as I am likely to be returning in the next 12 months and at $1500for Roll On Roll OFF shipping from mhere and I know the car inside out I am thinking its worth it.

#2 Bigstep

Bigstep

• 9 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

Hi, I am wanting to import a vx220 to Australia and wonder if you have any details for a RAW in Melbourne to help with the compliance plate and importation? Thanks, John (Bigstep on vx220.org.uk)

#3 Bigstep

Bigstep

• 9 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

Hi, I'm in UK at moment returning to Melbourne at end of the year probably. I want to bring a VX220 with me and wonder if you can help me with the details of a RAWS workshop to assist me bringing the car over. Thanks, it is a matter of a little urgency at the moment and any reply would be appreciated. John ("Bigstep" on Vx220 forum)

#4 Orggy

Orggy

• Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Location:Red Beach Auckland New Zealand better known as Paradise
  • Interests:Cars!!

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:52 AM

Hi Guys. I am not sure about the Aussie stituation but it has been on this forum before and the guy who had looked into it seemed to think it was virtually impossible to import VX220 into Oz unless you owned it in the UK for over a year. Check it out, there was talk of crash testing regs and all sorts. I purchased a VXT from Yorkshire in late Oct 2010 and had it shipped to Auckland NZ 2 weeks later and it arrived here on 23rd December 2010 due to everything closing down here over the Xmas period it was complianced and road legal on 10th Jan 2011. I had a friend check the car out in the UK before in left to make sure there would be no hassle getting it into NZ and complianced... we didnt go near Cat C, Cat D and modified cars . Any vehicle brought into NZ at that time had to be Euro 04 compliant, that was the one thing that would have stopped it being complianced and road legal. I believe these regulations changed in Feb 2012 and any car from the UK or Europe now has to be EURO 05 compliant unless it has been owned by the importer for over 12 months in the UK or Europe. I belong to various car clubs here and I spoke to an English guy who has just imigrated to NZ and brought his early model Exige with him, he had owned the car for years so there were no problems. My car is now one of only 3 VX220 Turbos in NZ and with the new regs I cant see the numbers increasing much in the future. Because I had a mate in England and thanks to good shipping agent GT logistics in NZ.. bringing my car in was easy. Like many people I could not afford a Lotus they are just too pricey here BUT the VX220 is a better car all round anyway..I am biased of course. Check it out thoroughly or else you could end up with an expensive garage ornament or a good track day toy. At the time the shipping from Southhampton to Auckland was $US1200 via container and of course when it arrives the government want their share..15% Goods and services Tax on the TOTAL cost of the car, shipping etc and the various Government Departments put their hands out as well. Cheers Kerry (Orggy) Bree Red Beach Auckland NZ i

#5 markpeachey1

markpeachey1

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:10 AM

Hi,

I am wanting to import a vx220 to Australia and wonder if you have any details for a RAW in Melbourne to help with the compliance plate and importation?

Thanks,

John (Bigstep on vx220.org.uk)

Hi John, I have been looking into this for the last couple of weeks and am coming to the conclusion that it is almost impossible. The only people that can import a car that is on the SEVS register post 1989 into this country are RAWS guys. If they haven't done so before they simply won't do it. Now you can argue till the cows come home about the stupid draconian arguements as to why not, but the bottom line is that someone (RAWS-Registered Automotive Workshop Scheme) has to say the car is ADR (Australian Design Rules) compliant. It makes me sick all this bullshit red tape. If you hear any different please contact me. My email is mark@amtechpainting.com.au.
Mark

#6 markpeachey1

markpeachey1

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:14 AM

Hi
I have had several contacts asking about bringing a VX to NZ or Australia.

Well I have done both. SO to help folk Out over the next few days I'll post what i lerant here so its all in one place.

What I can tell you before I start is that it cost me more to move the Car to Australia from NZ than it did to move it from UK to NZ.

Why bring it to Australia then? Well its my baby and has been from new in UK in March 2001. Also when I looked at selling it in NZ and then using the funds to buy something in Australia - I figured spending the $10K approx meant I had my VX and some other crappy car to drive in. I would have had to top up by about $40-50K to go for a an Elise at ;east equivalent to the VX - but IMHO its just inferior to the VX.

However, first thing you have to do is De-register it from the UK.

Of course you have to go to the DVLA site for that here is what it says about exporting a vehicle

4 Telling us about a permanent export
If you are taking your vehicle abroad (including the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands) for more than 12 months, this is considered to be a permanent export. In this situation you must fill in section 11 of the V5C with:
• the date of export, and
• sign and date the declaration.
Note − filling in this section will not produce an export certificate.
The V5C replaces the need for a separate export certificate.
Send section 11 to us at DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD. Keep sections 1 to 8 of the V5C to take with you when you take the vehicle abroad. You can use these sections to register your vehicle abroad. Get rid of sections 9 and 10 securely.
If you are taking your vehicle to Northern Ireland do not fill in section 11,
as we do not regard this as an export. You must take the whole V5C with you.
If you are taking your vehicle out of the country for less than 12 months do not fill in section 11. You must take the whole V5C with you.
If you are traveling soon, for example, you are traveling in less than 6 weeks, and you do not have a V5C you should contact your nearest DVLA local office for advice about obtaining a ‘Temporary Registration Certificate’ (V379).
Note: DVLA is unable to issue a V379 if the vehicle is registered as Category “C” Salvage, but can instead issue a ‘Vehicle Salvage Export Certificate’ (V963) (this is not for re-registration purposes). This only applies to cars.

Here is the link for all the forms .

You will need the export certificate when applying for registration / import into either NZ or Australia.

It is also quite possible I'll be explaining how to bring a VX back to UK as I am likely to be returning in the next 12 months and at $1500for Roll On Roll OFF shipping from mhere and I know the car inside out I am thinking its worth it.

Hi Toffer,
Can you please contact me at mark@amtechpainting.com.au regarding this matter.
Cheers Mark

#7 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

Hi,

I am wanting to import a vx220 to Australia and wonder if you have any details for a RAW in Melbourne to help with the compliance plate and importation?

Thanks,

John (Bigstep on vx220.org.uk)

Hi John, I have been looking into this for the last couple of weeks and am coming to the conclusion that it is almost impossible. The only people that can import a car that is on the SEVS register post 1989 into this country are RAWS guys. If they haven't done so before they simply won't do it. Now you can argue till the cows come home about the stupid draconian arguements as to why not, but the bottom line is that someone (RAWS-Registered Automotive Workshop Scheme) has to say the car is ADR (Australian Design Rules) compliant. It makes me sick all this bullshit red tape. If you hear any different please contact me. My email is mark@amtechpainting.com.au.
Mark

Hi Mark, below is the response I got from Toffer about his importing, I don't think he's on the forum much.
As Toffer has mentioned, the car has already been imported and approved here
As you won't be a personal import you will need to go through a RAWS but hard work should be done?
Hope this helps, make sure to let me know how you get on.

HI
I actually shipped mine to NZ first and then here, but I don't think that makes much difference. It came in as a personal import, but I was advised that it didn't matter as the Car is on a "special List" of allowable imports - can't remember what the special list is but I think its on the Customs site - I just used Google to find everything and followed the processes.

It was relatively easy to get it in.

I used a registered engineer to pick the car up and get it certified and a Road worthy. Then the Customs appointed a valuer and that came in at $26,000 - 4 years ago which resulted in the GST calculation.

If you are going to bring it into Melbourne - I can point you at the chap I used if you like.

Good Luck

#8 MaxX LA 2172

MaxX LA 2172

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:55 AM

Guys, I'm in your same situation, trying to ship my italian speedster to Perth. Unfortunately mine is LHD, so it will be more complicate for me.

anyway, I am finding these very useful:
http://www.pomsinoz....-need-know.html
http://www.pomsinoz....eveals-all.html

#9 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,920 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:27 PM

I thought you were LHD over there in the colonies?

#10 MaxX LA 2172

MaxX LA 2172

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:27 PM

No mate, I think all the Commonwealth countries drive on the left. Australia and New Zealand for sure! :happy:

#11 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit and in shape, and pretty much anything to do with an engine.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

Whats the full cost to ship the vx to Australia and what are they like for excepting modified versions. My next question is how does the vx cope with the hot temps with stuff like the engine and body work.

#12 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:14 PM

Whats the full cost to ship the vx to Australia and what are they like for excepting modified versions. My next question is how does the vx cope with the hot temps with stuff like the engine and body work.

If you're serious this guy seems good place to start http://ironladyimpor...m/otherschemes/

Car will be fine with the hot days, it's you that won't be. You'd just not use on the 35+ days

#13 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit and in shape, and pretty much anything to do with an engine.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:42 PM

Born and bred there mate so im sure ill get used to it again :D Its something im thinking about and i would love to take the vx over there. Cheers for the link, i need to have a good look into it to see if its worth it.

#14 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

You thinking of moving over there permanently? I presume the gf will come with you?

#15 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:52 PM

Its an option ive been thinking about as ive always wanted to move back one day and there is also a demand on my job over there so it makes it more worth while. The reasons that are making me want to is ive got nothing to tie me down like mortgages, kids, debt etc and im still quite young. She would have to become my wife for her to live over there and also work. So it means it wouldn't be at least another year for it to happen as you have to be married 12 months before anything can happen.

#16 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:59 PM

Yeah I don't blame you,I would do exactly the same....but if I could bring my family with me :lol: guess I'm too soft :( Do I see a proposal on the cards ;)

#17 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:20 PM

We will see :happy: Im going to have a look into it more and find out if its the right option first. I also dont want to leave the vx.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Export, import, Australia, New Zealand

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users