Cloth Vs Leather Seats & Stereo Options

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Purebob

Purebob

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Interests:Laughing, Helping my kids grow up, Travelling, Being pompous about the death of pop music as a relevant cultural medium, Driving my brilliant little car, Being middle aged and waiting for death, Enjoying the privilege of travelling the world

Posted 05 January 2003 - 05:36 PM

Folks Anyone have the standard cloth seats in their VX ? I'm not a big fan of leather seats (the capital 'I' in sweat left by the buttocks isn't a pretty thing in summer ! :P ) but I don't know how comfy & hard wearing the cloth seats are. Also, is there a better way I can spend £300 on ICE than the VDO optional kit off the Vauxhall list ? i don't want to buy the std one then ungrade in a year. Thanks in advance guys ! I have to order by end of February but I'm starting speccing early ! Bob

#2 Andrew H

Andrew H

• 9 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 06:33 PM

You should try wearing trousers when driving a VX! You are much lower than other road users so they can see in you car when the top is off! :lol: Seriously, I have leather and have not had a problem, it is however low grade leather in my view. You could always try biscuit colour as this does not attract the heat in the same way as black. I borrowed a cloth seated VX for a week and was put off. Although it had done little mileage it must have had a hard life as the seats were worn. The car must have also got wet inside as the seats had a seriously damp smell to them. Rain runs off leather quite nicely! B)

#3 PipSqueak111

PipSqueak111

• PipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:Anything fun involving speed, wheels or an engine.<br><br>I'm a marshal, why aren't you?!

Posted 06 January 2003 - 09:23 AM

I'd agree with Andrew H. I went for leather so that rain water was easier to remove if I got caught in a shower with the roof down. This decision was vindicated when I felt first-hand how wet and squidgy the cloth seats can be at Bedford Autodrome. The cloth seats on the PalmerSport cars looked very heavily worn. I know they have a lot of people getting in and out of them, but the leather seats had stood up to it much better. Phill

#4 Tony

Tony

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Railways, Photography, DIY

Posted 06 January 2003 - 02:08 PM

Hi Bob, I decided not to have the standard ICE, and bought a Kenwood that will play MP3 cd's. Therefore having 200+ tracks on one CD, so I don't need an autochanger. Fitting is a piece of cake, you want a new bit of trim at about £30 (ish) if i remember correctly. I'd previously put alot of my music onto my home PC so it was great. Personallly I would not bother to upgrade to much, as you can't tell the difference, especially with the roof off at anything over 50 mph. Cheers Tony

#5 Guest_minus8 (Guest)

Guest_minus8 (Guest)

Posted 06 January 2003 - 02:51 PM

Ditto. Only Nidd Vale gave me a car with the VDO unit in it for no charge as I was adamant I did not require it. The Kenwood MP3 player is fantastic, the one I have plays WMA files as well so the average track only takes up 2MB at CD quality thats over 300 tracks per CD. I now have my entire CD collection in a 12 CD wallet. Re Leather seats: Like most peole I have to mop up water, which has leaked in overnight, from my seats in the morning. For this reason if no other I am glad I chose leather. :P

#6 Guest_mark (Guest)

Guest_mark (Guest)

Posted 06 January 2003 - 03:07 PM

I agree with all the comments above. The VDO stereo isn't up to much, I've replaced mine with a DAB Blaupunkt unit which is far better. It cost about £350 with remote and additional aerial, the sound quailty is far better and ability to play MP3s is also good as mentioned above so no need for a changer. The remote is very handy as you can turn the stereo up and down easily so you can hear it at speed. Leather seats have been a must with how much water leaks in, mine is in again today for the 6th attempt to fix it. Mark

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users