59 replies to this topic

#21 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

I have downloaded a few more.
"GPS LapTimer Lite" looks promising so far.

Posted Image
It's free and has poor rating in the playstore, which probably means it exactly what i'm looking for
instead of all those 5 star overcomplex tools.

Edited by smiley, 07 July 2012 - 10:24 AM.

#22 Bobby

Bobby

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:33 PM

i used this today at anglesey and it worked brilliantly. just hit start put the phone back in my pocket and away i went. my best lap was a 1.30 and 1.28 optimal. no idea if thats good, bad or ugly but it's quite a cool little app.

#23 jameso

jameso

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

For iOS Harry's lap timer pro is also excellent. Has live lap time (like the OLED solution). Can Pull data from ECU too if u have right cable/hotspot. Can overlay all the data over ur HD videos too. J

#24 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:54 PM

Harry is ios only. Android support expected spring 2013

#25 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:11 PM

For iOS Harry's lap timer pro is also excellent.

Has live lap time (like the OLED solution).

Can Pull data from ECU too if u have right cable/hotspot.

Can overlay all the data over ur HD videos too.

J

Can you connect a camera to it or do you have to overlay later? Have you any examples??

#26 dw1

dw1

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:48 PM

Having a quick read through the site, it looks like if you use the iPhone video camera it will do the overlay or if you use an external camera you post process. Deeply impressive bit of software and buttons cheap for what you get for 20 dollars. It has some very neat features that exploit the power of the iPhone.

#27 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:57 PM

Similar thing for Android aLap Recorder HD and works with nice cheap bluetooth OBD readers ;) I bought it a couple of years back but have never actually bothered trying it.

#28 Jason

Jason

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Interests:Trackdays, Walking, Photography

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

So if you want in car while analysis RaceChrono is probably not for you. I use it for logging and look at the data later. For this purpose it is very good! I know UK Trackdays would not want to using a display as then you are timing and trying to beat your previous time. Where as looking at the data later would seem ok as your datalogging and not timing...

#29 Rally

Rally

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:43 PM

I gave RaceChrono a try at Anglesey and whilst it initially seems good, when you look at the GPS tracks, it is hugely inaccurate on the phones internal GPS. Either that or every lap I was either in the sea or across the car park and never noticed :D

On the bike I use one of these Startlane devices which is astonishingly accurate. I may try gaffer taping it to the dash for the next track day.

#30 Jason

Jason

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

The accuracy of Racechrono is good when used with an external GPS unit is very similar every lap I did. The Dev who makes it as I recall says with internal GPS it is only good for lap time and not for analyis of the lap...

I gave RaceChrono a try at Anglesey and whilst it initially seems good, when you look at the GPS tracks, it is hugely inaccurate on the phones internal GPS. Either that or every lap I was either in the sea or across the car park and never noticed :D

On the bike I use one of these Startlane devices which is astonishingly accurate. I may try gaffer taping it to the dash for the next track day.

#31 martylemoo

martylemoo

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:16 PM

For Android I use trackmaster.

#32 dw1

dw1

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:29 PM

Unless you have a 10hz gps then using these for line accuracy is not great and even then 10hz is not completely accurate or 20hz for that matter. General gps signals are only accurate to about 2m which is quite a bit of a track's width. As a rule of thumb, to get an indication of line, gps is fine. To do anything more will not yield much value in analysis unless you map over video. It all depends what you want to get out of it and how you want to use the information, but at free or buttons they are amazing. Also as others have said, displaying lap timing while driving during track days is a big no no, so post driving anaylsis is the important element. For anyone who does track days and doesn't have some kind of logger then I'd say they should absolutely get one of the bits of software for their phone.

#33 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:32 PM

Just don't rely on the flakey internal GPS in phones. Half the time it's only deriving your position via A-GPS and that can be anywhere within vaguely 20 metres, even when it can pick up a reliable mobile phone signal. thumbsdown

#34 Rally

Rally

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:06 PM

Fair enough - that's why I said 'internal GPS' as I recognise that is the limiting factor and I meant no criticism or the app itself.

#35 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,179 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:23 AM

Just downloaded aLapRecorderHD and RaceChrono as detailed above thumbsup Will give them a try @ Le Mans this weekend.

#36 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:38 AM

It looks amazing for a freebe. Does this sofware record max g-forces please?

#37 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:19 AM

It looks amazing for a freebe. Does this sofware record max g-forces please?

yep, looking at my sessions it recorded G's in both planes

#38 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:40 PM

I used racechrono again yesterday on the zandvoort track. This time it just ran the simple timers i was looking for. Prefect. (just hit the big round start button, and let it run. I may take a round to start doing it's thing Just give it time.) No idea what i did wrong last time.

#39 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:28 PM

Racechrono finally went Pro yesterday and now has built-in video recording, dash/gauge overlays and OBD support. I've had a beta version for a while and it seems to work very well (though I've only tested it with the Audi which doesn't barf when asked to output OBD data unlike the NA's ecu). 

#40 Jason

Jason

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:25 PM

Yeah I got the pre release when half price. Don't think I will use video in app but worth supporting the dev for sure. He mentioned he was thinking about adding storage for GoPro to app, now that would be interesting!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gps, lap timer, android, phone

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users