• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#21 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:15 AM

I wouldn't recommend it either, but that's based on certain technical reasons rather than leaving it open to speculation.

#22 ianrm

ianrm

Joined - in the past 10.02.2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Football, Cars & Fish keeping.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:18 AM

:D

What would he do without me :lol:

http://www.vxronline...-Tesco-99/page9

#23 Sticky

iTB lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:20 AM

@ Fezzazus: based on technical info what are the better/best premium fuels?

#24 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:33 AM

Whichever one his employer makes.... :lol: Cynical joke there before anyone gets sand in their fanny

#25 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,353 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:41 AM

JT has now commented on the VXR online thread on the top of page 12.

#26 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:47 AM

"A couple of comments. 1. The contract we have with Tesco specifically prevents me saying anything at all, as a result the statement we have given is all we are allowed to say. 2. Its taken thousands in legal fees thus scuppering our BTCC budget to even say what we can say. 3. No, I no longer shop at Tesco 4. No, we no longer use Tesco fuel in any of our road or race cars and we recommend our customer do not use the fuel either. I cannot get into any conversation about it or get dragged into a forum discussion about it or even hint at anything, I am sorry. However, think of this, making such an announcement can only make TMS look bad in terms of PR, and yet we still did it, read into that what you will." Chortle

#27 Sticky

iTB lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:57 AM

Whichever one his employer makes.... :lol: Cynical joke there before anyone gets sand in their fanny

:o sharp as a tack as usual Mr Borg

#28 2GOOD

2GOOD

Old Timer zzz...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts
  • Interests:My little red car of course!
    & the matt black vee twin thingy...

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:08 AM

2. Its taken thousands in legal fees thus scuppering our BTCC budget to even say what we can say.

Chortle

Does this mean he's had to buy a lot of postage stamps? :P

Edited by 2GOOD, 25 July 2012 - 09:09 AM.

#29 MrSimba

MrSimba

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:32 AM

"can only make TMS look bad in terms of PR, and yet we still did it,"

Nothing new here then!!! ;)

#30 LazyDonkey

LazyDonkey

Lotus imposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

"A couple of comments.

1. The contract we have with Tesco specifically prevents me saying anything at all, as a result the statement we have given is all we are allowed to say.

2. Its taken thousands in legal fees thus scuppering our BTCC budget to even say what we can say.

3. No, I no longer shop at Tesco

4. No, we no longer use Tesco fuel in any of our road or race cars and we recommend our customer do not use the fuel either.

I cannot get into any conversation about it or get dragged into a forum discussion about it or even hint at anything, I am sorry. However, think of this, making such an announcement can only make TMS look bad in terms of PR, and yet we still did it, read into that what you will."

Chortle

It's just like the old days :D

Reading that vxr thread there is also talk of thorney hinting to people that warranty claims being due to the fuel. Anyone remember the 4th cylinder chat back in the day ;)

Edited by LazyDonkey, 25 July 2012 - 09:47 AM.

#31 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

"A couple of comments.

1. The contract we have with Tesco specifically prevents me saying anything at all, as a result the statement we have given is all we are allowed to say.

3. No, I no longer shop at Tesco

4. No, we no longer use Tesco fuel in any of our road or race cars and we recommend our customer do not use the fuel either.

I cannot get into any conversation about it or get dragged into a forum discussion about it or even hint at anything, I am sorry. However, think of this, making such an announcement can only make TMS look bad in terms of PR, and yet we still did it, read into that what you will."

Chortle

I guess thats one reason to go after the grand on CDWM

#32 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:50 AM

I don't use Momentum 99 because it contains 5 % ethanol (maximum allowed currently) and an additional 3 % methanol; both help improve combustion while controlling knock, which is why it can deliver 99 RON, but the reason ethanol content is limited to 5 % is early engines (like ours) were not designed for high ethanol content fuel and it can damage the seals, adding 3 % methanol makes the matters even worse. furthermore short drives lead to fuel dilution in the sump - normal petrol is okay, but ethanol and methanol disrupt the oil preventing the additives from working effectively and lead to corrosion.

I'd recommend shell V-Power, which delivers it's higher performance through additives with no harms rather than via biofuel.

:D We don't make additives for petrol, so this is completely unbiased

#33 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

How's the new up to 10% ethanol content petrol going to react with our cars, when that's allowed (assuming it isn't already), if 5% is already potentially bad for our engines? :o

#34 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:01 AM

How's the new up to 10% ethanol content petrol going to react with our cars, when that's allowed (assuming it isn't already), if 5% is already potentially bad for our engines? :o

They're going to have to label the higher ethanol content fuel, just as they do in France, so customers have a choice over what they put in.

To clarify, most common engines were tested and found to not have any significant issues with 5 % ethanol, however most fuel in practice has much less than that (usually between 0 and 3 %). Therefore I feel very uneasy using fuel at the maximum level of 5 % ethanol and an additional 3 % methanol (which is actually a total of 8 % biofuel - not technically above the limits because methanol usage wasn't taken into account, but not a level I am comfortable at)

#35 JG

JG

• 13,611 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:03 AM

I wouldn't recommend it either, but that's based on certain technical reasons rather than leaving it open to speculation.

I'm a bit bored of the wink wink, taps nose, posts fezza.

I'd prefer an open honest post or nothing at all. thumbsup

#36 JG

JG

• 13,611 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

Seen your posts above now, thats better :D

#37 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,510 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

I thought all this stuff was from years ago... such as http://wideawakewesl...el-responsible/

#38 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,121 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

I don't use Momentum 99 because it contains 5 % ethanol (maximum allowed currently) and an additional 3 % methanol; both help improve combustion while controlling knock, which is why it can deliver 99 RON, but the reason ethanol content is limited to 5 % is early engines (like ours) were not designed for high ethanol content fuel and it can damage the seals, adding 3 % methanol makes the matters even worse.

Fezzasus, I thought the problem with seals etc was only on pre 1990's cars? I have a Triumph stag and I have been advised to use an additive in the fuel to counteract the effects. I have a bit of 'JG' scepticism though about it.

#39 LazyDonkey

LazyDonkey

Lotus imposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

That's not momentum

#40 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

I'm not looking forward to higher % BioFuels as they fcuking stink :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: Hated calibrating an engine running E10-E85

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users