Fred666's Vx220 Replacement - Porsche Content

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#41 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:29 AM

The point of a sports car for me is to go fast from A to B (bends and straights). Buying a heavy 'sports car' (of which Porches are one of many) which has all those comforts is such a compromise it seems to me that spending that much mony for something that is only as fast as a £12k VX220 is a real waste of money (unless you are very rich of course). If you want a nice supple ride and lots of buttons and comfort for commuting for example, then a £4k car will do that fine IMO. My Ford Focus (daily commute) is only worth £2k probably and is an excelent comfortable car with super handling.

Edited by Nev, 02 August 2012 - 10:31 AM.

#42 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

On the run from the grammar police!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

Ford Focus and super handling, shouldn't be in the same sentance. ;)

#43 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,611 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

my boxster weighs a bit less than say a typical runabout peugeot 207 , so I wouldn't class it as a heavy sports car, but the other porsches are a lot heavier I agree. For a-b stuff, having taken it on the highland hoon type roads it is excellent.

#44 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:24 AM

Have you driven one for a few hundred miles? I find mine is amazing, even when you go beyond the limit it always breaks aways slowly and with all 4 tyres simultaneously so is very easy to correct. The blade suspension on the rear had millions spent on it and when you first drive it, it feels quite strange but is a genuine step up from a trailing arm design.

Edited by Nev, 02 August 2012 - 11:26 AM.

#45 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

On the run from the grammar police!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:00 PM

Have you driven one for a few hundred miles? I find mine is amazing, even when you go beyond the limit it always breaks aways slowly and with all 4 tyres simultaneously so is very easy to correct. The blade suspension on the rear had millions spent on it and when you first drive it, it feels quite strange but is a genuine step up from a trailing arm design.

Having had both generations of focus as hire cars, I can only say their well built and handle 'fine' for an everyday car. Can't say I've ever pushed one to their limit on the roads, then again why would I (have the vx for that)?

Either way, going back to what JG posted. the point has been missed spectacularly.

#46 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:17 PM

Having had both generations of focus as hire cars, I can only say their well built and handle 'fine' for an everyday car. Can't say I've ever pushed one to their limit on the roads, then again why would I (have the vx for that)?

Either way, going back to what JG posted. the point has been missed spectacularly.

Not for me. I bought the VX to drive fast, a Porche for approx the same money would likely be slower.

Edited by Nev, 02 August 2012 - 01:18 PM.

#47 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,611 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:26 PM

i know the 3.2 will go to 390bhp with a pair of K16 turbo on its standard internals , the 3.4 well somewhere like ttp germany can do mental things to it, a stage III is 560bhp http://www.t-t-p.de/english/996.php

#48 JG

JG

• 13,611 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:20 PM

911 is about so much more than going from A to B fast. The fact i can do so very fast (and a lot faster than VX NA btw) is really neither here nor there. The journey is a pleasure of exquisite sensations. A bit like writing with Mont Blanc pens. They are a bit heavy and don't write very fast, cost 500 times more than a BIC and a fortune to service, but the pleasure in writing is worth every penny. The 911 is very similar.

#49 T. Spark

T. Spark

• PipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

i know the 3.2 will go to 390bhp with a pair of K16 turbo on its standard internals , the 3.4 well somewhere like ttp germany can do mental things to it, a stage III is 560bhp

http://www.t-t-p.de/english/996.php

Is that the 3.2 found in the Boxster S 986 that can see that power?!

#50 G-Bob

G-Bob

Embarrassing VX's in an MX5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,256 posts
  • Interests:Silver VX Bashing!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:39 PM

Not for me. I bought the VX to drive fast, a Porche for approx the same money would likely be slower.

You could buy a much newer superbike that would get you from a-b even faster for even less money, but that doesn't mean I'd want one. I'd sacrifice a small amount of sharpness and cornering speed to arrive at a location with a smile on my face and my spine in tact after hitting a pothole.
Just because it doesn't meet your requirements, doesn't mean that it doesn't meet others.

#51 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,611 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

i know the 3.2 will go to 390bhp with a pair of K16 turbo on its standard internals , the 3.4 well somewhere like ttp germany can do mental things to it, a stage III is 560bhp

http://www.t-t-p.de/english/996.php

Is that the 3.2 found in the Boxster S 986 that can see that power?!

that links for the 996, but bolt-on for a 986 , http://www.t-t-p.de/english/986.php

#52 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,510 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

Crazy prices for these things now.... same price as a good NA http://www.pistonhea...les/3826355.htm I wouldn't say no

#53 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:09 PM

911 is about so much more than going from A to B fast. The fact i can do so very fast (and a lot faster than VX NA btw) is really neither here nor there.

The journey is a pleasure of exquisite sensations. A bit like writing with Mont Blanc pens. They are a bit heavy and don't write very fast, cost 500 times more than a BIC and a fortune to service, but the pleasure in writing is worth every penny. The 911 is very similar.

Sure, I appreciate that JG. In my case (and I know it's only my preference) I dceided to adopt a cheap/economical/comfy plodder for commuting and a crazy fast car for weekends/fun. The point I'm trying to make is that something in between those 2 points would be a 3rd car, or you'd have to drop one of the other 2 :huh: I feel that compromise would be too much (for me).

Also, after reading about Jules' dads woeful bad history with Porche engines Id be a little cautious too.

I have to admit that link Mark posted surprised me how cheap they are now too :excl: . My bother had a 4wd turbo worth £56k (second hand) a few years ago, it makes me wonder what that would be worth now...

Edited by Nev, 02 August 2012 - 06:13 PM.

#54 fred666

fred666

All Show, All Go

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:49 PM

mbes thats very VERY cheap although high mileage. i paid a fair few grand more for mine.

I didnt see this topic turning this way tbh. im finding it hard to compare the 911 to the vx myself and ive owned both. They are so different, as mentioned the porsche is about so much more than a to b.

I could have had the power and comfort and probably the handling too, for a lot less with an audi or bmw etc... but it wouldnt be a 911.

All my mates told me to get an evo or a skyline, they struggled to understand why id go to a slower car than the vx220 that didnt handle as well... This vintage porsche advert sums it up for me :happy:

Posted Image

#55 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit and in shape, and pretty much anything to do with an engine.

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:54 PM

Nice bit of kit there mate and shame you got rid of the vx. I havnt read all the post on this thread but do you reckon you might turn it into a show car :poke:

#56 JohnTurbo

JohnTurbo

SuperScruff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts
  • Interests:Performance cars!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:03 PM

I was perving over 996 carrera 4S's and 996 turbos a while back. - Just i'd want to track it and i doubt it would be so easily affordable as good old vexy.

#57 fred666

fred666

All Show, All Go

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:38 PM

Nice bit of kit there mate and shame you got rid of the vx. I havnt read all the post on this thread but do you reckon you might turn it into a show car :poke:

Who me?? lol of course i will :)

Its taking a different route to the vx220 though, im going dark and moody and a little more oem, although quite track inspired. No lairy interior etc

Its up on axle stands already as the wheels are getting powder coated black, ive ordered 20mm hub centric spacers, de-ambered the headlights, de wipered the rear, fitted silvertec indicator bulbs, white led/smd's all round (sielights, interior, boot etc), and fitted 8000k hid's... I've owned it 9 days haha

I'll post up to date pics regularly if theres interest?

Edited by fred666, 02 August 2012 - 10:39 PM.

#58 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:48 PM

Yes keep us up to date...

#59 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:18 AM

Yes keep us up to date...

:yeahthat:

Edited by ChrisS1, 03 August 2012 - 07:19 AM.

#60 T. Spark

T. Spark

• PipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:15 AM

I might be purchasing one soon too as a replacement for the MR2 as abit of a GT type car too! So yes please! I didnt realise the price of them, I will no doubt end up with a cheap'er' boxster mind!

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users