• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#1 RalphyBMW

RalphyBMW

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:20 PM

The VXT replaces a Clio 197 that I ran for 18 months before selling in early 2012. The Clio was a great car, very easy to drive, great on track, but ultimately not especially challenging. Doing a few track days really highlighted that what I want in a track car is not what I want for the rest of my miles. Plus it wasn't often that there were more than two people in the car, we have two other cars in the household, so why did I need to be running around in a FWD hatchback?

At the time, my plan was to get a Z4, Boxster S or possibly S2000.

I bought an old Focus which I fitted with winter tyres. Using this car meant that I wasn't using the Clio which made it easier to sell. I got quite attached to the Focus and it became my daily.

Anyhow, fast forward to August, I had come to the conclusion that a Z4 probably wouldn't be a good track car, and that all three of my initial choices are heavy, which of course means more fuel and more wear on the brakes, tyres, suspension, etc.

I quickly came to the conclusion that a Caterham would be too expensive and probably a bit too hard core for me, however an Elise or VX220 might just fit the bill. I had driven both a standard Elise back in 1997, and a VXT in around 2004/5. I was concerned that I would still find this type of car a chore to use, but felt the phenominal performance of the VXT would help to make the compromise worthwhile.

My justification was also partly driven by the fact that I see VX220 prices approaching a minimum level; S1 Elises seem to be increasing in value, with good examples worth around £8k as a minimum, I think a good example of a VX220 will continue to be worth at least £6k. The Turbo will always be worth more than the NA, and despite the suggested negatives, it remains pretty much the quickest factory option based upon the Elise.

So, having used careful man maths to justify it, I started to look at cars.

I saw a couple of silver cars, both had leather and central locking, but one seemed expensive for the condition the other was a bit strong on miles, and both had more owners than I wanted. A couple of days later a friend came across a black 2005, 1 owner, 37k miles; the front clam as a few minor marks and would benefit from paint, the wheels are blistering a bit, and it is due for a service. None of the negatives are a major problem, all seem typical of these cars (both the silver cars also needed refurbs). A deal was done and I collected it yesterday.

It is a lot noisier than I am used to.
You hear the suspension working, and there are various other rattles on harsh surfaces - I understand this is pretty typical.
Steering and changing gear is a whole lot more physical than driving a 1.6 Focus!
The performance is ASTONISHING!

So far I have done little more than drive it home on the motorway (roof off, windows down, bloody marvelous!), and potter about in it today. While I have had a couple of chances to give it some beans, I haven't had much opportunity to deal with corners yet.

I had left the car in town for most of yesterday, before taking the train to bring it home; it was late when I got home but I still managed to be up until about 1.30 messing about with it, cleaning windows, etc. I was just sooo excited. I woke at 5.30 this morning, unable to contain my excitement!

All I have done so far is to remove the broken front plate, order a new 3/4 front plate, clean the windows and the interior.

A bit of investigating shows that the car has a VXR exhaust and I think Gaz suspension, it is certainly loud, and seems low compared to pics of other 220's.

Anyhow, a few pics;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is what I found under the passenger seat, along with £1.40 in change;

Posted Image

Today I also discovered that you can't fit a £100 Maplin TV bracket in the boot, that using the handbrake is difficult with a booster seat in the passenger side, and that you can fit a small trolley full of groceries in the boot.

I reckon I have probably had the roof off and on at least three times today, possibly more. Ventilation with the roof on isn't great, but is noisy. First time I turned the vents on my newly Aerospace 303'd dash got covered in crap!

Current wish list;
Service
Wiper blade
Owners manual (I currently just have the service book and wallet)
Rear discs & pads
Refurbish wheels
Repaint front clam
New number plates

Thanks for reading, I will try to keep this upto date. Hoping to avoid any bad news when it goes in for its service!

#2 derby-vx220

derby-vx220

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:01 PM

Welcome mate, am sure the grin on your face will get bigger as you enjoy the car more! Had mine 3 1/2 years and will never sell it lol. Alex

#3 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:20 AM

Congrats. Mine looks an identical spec to yours (and still does apart from a little de-badging). Cloth FTW. Enjoy the car :)

#4 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

No it's not a Lamborghini!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:34 AM

Congrats, didn't know turbos came with the plastic door inserts and centre console?

#5 Whiteboy

Whiteboy

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,950 posts
  • Interests:F1, track days, cars ,cars and cars.

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:21 AM

Congrats, didn't know turbos came with the plastic door inserts and centre console?

They do if you do not have leather seats.

Steve

#6 MrSimba

MrSimba

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:35 AM

welcome :) Looks like a superb car! Ride height looks like the rear might need raising a little to put a bit of rake back into it, was probably set up correctly but the weight of the VXT at the back can easily sag springs 10-15mm. Enjoy!

#7 RalphyBMW

RalphyBMW

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:23 AM

Thanks all, re: ride height the car is parked rear end down on a slope the that pic, so not necessarily representative. For reference any recommendations for chassis setup in West Yorks?

#8 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,034 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:24 AM

Thanks all, re: ride height the car is parked rear end down on a slope the that pic, so not necessarily representative.

For reference any recommendations for chassis setup in West Yorks?

Depends on what you want...

For a mild fettle - Phoenix in Accrington
For a full overhaul - Cornering Force Harrogate

Those are the ones that come to mind first. Either that or DIY.

#9 RalphyBMW

RalphyBMW

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:00 PM

Disappointed to have not yet had chance to use the car today, however my sister and her boyfriend are visiting later and they will expect a ride.

Yesterday I tried using the car for everything I would normally do, mother-in-law wasn't keen on being transported in it, and the boot opening was a touch smaller than I needed;

Posted Image

Still, my small daughter wasn't too miffed about having to have it on her legs. She is funny about "learning to use these windows" though, overprivileged little bugger has only been in one other car with manual windows, and that (M reg Clio diesel) was certainly not exciting. She is impressed by the start button though!

#10 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,179 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

"Keep fit windows" :lol: Makes it a healthy car thumbsup

#11 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:37 PM

Hi Ralphy, we always glad when a keen member joins - especially one who can write in English rather than text-speak :) Try getting a psx lift in a tuned VX and see how an extra bit of power transforms the car, though prepare you wallet in case you catch the modding bug ! Good luck.

#12 RalphyBMW

RalphyBMW

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:29 PM

Cheers, not entirely sure how standard it is anyway! I have discovered that it has a long range fuel tank though!

#13 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:31 PM

Cheers, not entirely sure how standard it is anyway! I have discovered that it has a long range fuel tank though!

Oooh... Me thinks you has got more of a car underneath than would be automatically expected - That alone is a suggestion of an owner with more of a tendency to modify.

#14 RalphyBMW

RalphyBMW

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:57 PM

With anything normal you would be 101% correct, take my Clio for example - http://www.clio197.n...read.php?t=4391

This however is a whole lot more of a car, and was designed with far less compromise. Currently it scares the hell out of me, and I haven't driven it in the wet yet. Nonetheless I was getting a definate tingle at the sight of those AP 4 pots in the classified, not that the standard brakes are lacking. I had AP bells & rotors with the standard Brembo 4 pots on the Clio and that stopped really well; it did also weigh 35% more than the VXT though.

#15 RalphyBMW

RalphyBMW

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:53 AM

5 days in and I have been using the car everyday; discovered that it was serviced in March so that is a tick, will probably still change the oil myself though. Also met with the previous owner, lovely guy, real enthusiast and now have a lot of the past invoices for work done to the car. Nothing really interesting to report, driving it is more psychically tiring than a normal car, but the pleasure derived from the experience is brilliant. Received my new plates yesterday, so the car will have a front plate again from today, also have some Pagid discs and Mintex 1144 pads for the rear of the car, as and when I get chance. Went for Pagid as I fitted some to the rear of our Civic a few months ago and the non-contact parts still look very tidy, not rusty at all. The car currently feels like one of the brakes is grabbing slightly, you feel it when you come to a halt and the car is reluctant to roll; rears should be sorted when I do the discs and pads, however I will probably whip the pads out of the fronts and put some copper slip on the back at the same time to see if that helps.

#16 Whiteboy

Whiteboy

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,950 posts
  • Interests:F1, track days, cars ,cars and cars.

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:59 AM

While you have the pads out , spray the piston and caliper with brake cleaner.

Steve

Edited by Whiteboy, 22 August 2012 - 06:59 AM.

#17 RalphyBMW

RalphyBMW

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:02 AM

Cheers, don't worry I love my clutch and brake cleaner!

#18 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:45 AM

As said above, a long range tank is an expensive and difficult change and indicates a real enthusiast previous owner. You decision process is familiar to me. The comments about not wanting a track car for the road and the noisy suspension suggest you should experience a car on standard Bilsteins. IMO they provide the ideal compromise between comfort and handling and don't make any noise! A VX will never be a quiet car, the road and engine noise are not isolated, but there should not be any squeaks or rattles.

#19 RalphyBMW

RalphyBMW

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:48 AM

The squeeks and rattles are really only on uneven surfaces, I don't perceive they are anything to worry about. Might get another VX owner to have a ride in it to confirm. The windows do rattle a bit but not excessively IMO.

#20 RalphyBMW

RalphyBMW

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:53 AM

All been quiet with this car for a few weeks; I collected the car on a Friday and soon noticed a few things that needed sorting, nothing serious but it needed new rear discs & pads, the exhaust alignment adjusting and a good clean. With this in mind I used it for a week before taking it off the road and returning to using my Focus.

Firstly and most importantly was to tackle the rear brakes, this didn't go entirely to plan as both hub retaining bolts were buggered and had to be drilled out, along with one locking wheel bolt. On the plus side I am getting better with my easy-out set, I had thought the name of this was quite misleading, but I guess things improve with experience!

After doing the rear discs I then moved to the front where my plan had been just to remove the front pads, clean up, copper grease and reinstall, but I soon realised that though they had more friction material remaining than the rears, they were also a bit thin. Having got hold of a set of 1144's for the front I then noticed that one of the front discs (typically not the side I looked at before going and getting the 1144's) was scored so I also needed another pair of Pagid discs. This in turn led to more drilling of disc retaining bolts, though to be fair one of the fronts did come out intact (following lots of application of Halford's Shock & Unlock).

Brakes no longer seem to drag like they were, though handbrake travel is still a bit long; it is effective, but I have my seat quite a way forward, and also have my daughters booster seat in the car which limits elbow room. I think handbrake adjustment should be relatively straightforward with the undertray removed, but that sounds like a job for another day.

Brakes sorted I moved to the exhaust, dropped the diffuser and removed the rear box to clean tail pipes prior to reinstallation with better alignment; think I have it about right. Swapped to 1/4 turn quick release fittings for the diffuser and undertray. I have fitted these to the diffuser, but not yet fitted to the undertray. Obviously took the opportunity to give the diffuser a wash while it was off the car.

I have also given it a wash and polish. The bodywork is very good aside from a few scuffs on the front clam, which I knew about already and some minor stone chips, tiny scratches, etc. I would benefit from a buff by someone more capable than me though, either that or I wasn't really getting on with the Menzerna polish; it was my first time using it though.

Having given the car a good polish (Menzerna) and wax (Chemical Guys 50/50), I treated the roof with GTechniq I1, which seems to be rated highly. Again it hasn't really got wet since, other than morning dew.

Bought another set of OE wheels & tyres, mine were pretty badly pitted but I think they can be refurbished. Made a bit of an amateur error though, firstly I fitted them the wrong way around; swapped them over while doing the front brakes and completely forgot they were directional; very embarrassed when I spotted my error the next night so popped to get the jack, before realising that I also needed to get one of the spare wheels so that I could lower one side before moving to the other.

Minor change, and hopefully not "chav" was swapping the rear number plate bulbs to LED's, I am clearly a bit of a child but I really like the white light that pools on the ground below. Please don't judge!

Also bought a small silver PH smiley with the plan of fitting to the rear end, but I am not sure if I can bring myself to do it. I generally prefer the clean look, so not sure if it works. Nonetheless keen to show my support for the PH community though.

On a damp journey to Manchester I noticed the passenger window was leaking from the leading edge; also noticed this when I washed the car, so another job was to adjust the window. Touch wood this just needed the mechanism travel increasing; adjustment seemed very easy though the car hasn't been exposed to rain / hose pipe since, so time will tell. Removing and particularly refitting the door card however was not straightforward; not complicated but infuriatingly awkward, particularly as I believe the insert needs to be removed to facilitate refitting of the outer section, and the insert did not want to be removed. Got there in the end but I think I should have gone with the recommendation for using strong velcro to refit, not the titanium Christmas Tree clips.

The trip over to Manchester was the first time I had needed to use the fan, cue my freshly cleaned dash being covered with dead flies and other detritus, so while the car was off the road I also undertook the "sock mod" with the foot from some of my wife's tights; touch wood all seems good so far.

So, brakes sorted, exterior cleaned and protected, window and exhaust adjusted, the car has returned to daily service and the grin has certainly returned to my face. I haven't been anywhere in it this week, but do really enjoy driving it; it isn't especially easy to use, I hate getting in and out, it is very loud and broken tarmac, sunken manhole covers, etc. are best avoided, but I love driving it. It is very easy to drive, takes a while to get used to the lower driving position but it soon becomes quite natural and makes driving more conventional cars seem odd. I love having the roof off, it is brilliant. I do miss the bluetooth from our other cars, but it wouldn't work in this one anyway due to the noise levels.

I also wish it had three seats, I currently want to use it all the time and sometimes that would be easier if both wife and child could join me, but that just doesn't work with a car like this. It isn't especially fun for passengers anyway.

The cars spartan specification, while true to the ethos of a lightweight sports car, is less conducive to day-to-day use, a strut to keep the boot open when loading, unloading, and doing the roof would be nice.

Finally had my first "moment" in the car yesterday morning; there is a particular sweeping slip road that when lightly trafficed is good fun to "push" around. Turns out "pushing" in this is quite different to "pushing" in a FWD car, cue a bit of heart in mouth fishtailing as I recovered things. There's a lesson there somewhere I think.

The car does have a natural preference for understeer, which may be partially improved by changes to the geo. I am planning on getting the geo checked / adjusted but have a few jobs to do first. I have just bought some new OE rear toe links as I understand these can fail and mine are original, so will get the geo adjusted after that.

Quick reference to the parts department at Wilsons Vauxhall in Scunthorpe, their service has been excellent and their pricing remarkably good too.

I am thinking about changing the indicator bulbs to silvertec items, good idea / bad idea?

Also quite fancy getting a steering wheel retrimmed in alcantara; I had an alcantara wheel in my Clio and loved it; just got plenty of outgoings at the moment however.

Current jobs to do;
Replace rear toe links
Touch up minor marks
Repaint front clam
Replace Vauxhall badge on steering wheel (seems to be delaminating slightly) with Momo badge (looks fine, inexpensive and readily available)
Refurbish original wheels
Carpet for interior
Investigate rattles, possibly window glass, possibly striker pins.

Finally a few pics;
Posted Image

Posted Image

And just in case I wasn't clear earlier, I truly love this car, driving it gives me a massive grin, and people always seem to react in a really positive way, which is nice!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users