#41 RalphyBMW

RalphyBMW

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

Following on from this post;

http://www.vx220.org...yout-schematic/

I think the stall issue could be down to a vacuum issue. I have now clamped the loose pipe but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. My next step is to look at replacing the rear boost control valve. I have already fitted one of the eBay Forge replica valves, with no apparent change.

Anyhow, finally took the car out today, first time since early November, hadn't expected to see slush on the roads! My excuse was to see if the turbo stall was still there, and also to warm up the gearbox fluid in advance of a change.

So, on the one hand, yes the turbo stall does still seem to happen, but on the plus side I do love driving this car!

Got it back in the garage, changed the gearbox oil and put it away to make space to do the diff oil on the CR-V. I really do need to use this car more often!

Anyhow, some pics;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#42 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,034 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

I know the Tubby is heavy, but not heavy enough to use a bus only lane. :P Glad to see the VX in use... I really missed my VX the last two days as the weather has been perfect to stick a beanie hat on, roof off and blast the hell out of local roads. Found a couple of little corkers by this new house. Not long roads, but half mile twisty ones, with decent asphalt.

#43 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

I know the Tubby is heavy, but not heavy enough to use a bus only lane. :P

:lol: sorry I shouldn't laugh as I'm a tubby owner too but couldn't resist :)

#44 RalphyBMW

RalphyBMW

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

If I had £340 for a working heater then the roof would certainly have been removed!

#45 Whiteboy

Whiteboy

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,950 posts
  • Interests:F1, track days, cars ,cars and cars.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

I see you have changed your toe links, have you changed your hub carrier bolts, as these can also fail? Steve

#46 RalphyBMW

RalphyBMW

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

Expecting to receive HCB's soon, job to do over Christmas I think.

#47 Thealastair34

Thealastair34

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

car looks great

but would expect that from your other projects ive followed!

wouldnt mind a ride in yours to compare what mine rides like and the noises it makes, also Chris Foulds was the service good? wouldnt mind mine having a check over to make sure its all ok

#48 RalphyBMW

RalphyBMW

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

Cheers Al Service at Foulds was very good; I had my rear toe links replaced, but a large part of my reasoning for taking it was because I knew nothing about these cars, it makes noises that would be considered fairly catastrophic from a Focus and I really wanted some assurance that it wasn't a bad one. Chris and his colleague were both very good and gave lots of confidence in their knowledge. They didn't identify the hesitation issue I have been having, but to be honest you only notice it when really pressing on, and I don't think I had explained the symptoms very well. Would be delighted to swap rides; I haven't driven mine for a few weeks, need to see if replacing the boost control valve has sorted things out.

#49 Thealastair34

Thealastair34

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

Ok Will call them get them to give it a check over at some point Just let me know when your out and about I'll pm you my number

#50 RalphyBMW

RalphyBMW

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

Couple of jobs this evening, fitted a HID kit, and the comfort connect cable for my new CTEK, should hopefully mean that I don't have to remove the washer bottle again for a while! Also treated myself to a little drive, what was wonderful! Need to drive this car more!

#51 MrSimba

MrSimba

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

CTEK do a cigarette lighter adaptor & the VX has a permanent 'on' lighter socket :) Don't even have to open the bonnet then!

#52 RalphyBMW

RalphyBMW

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

I know, I did consider getting that one, but decided against it. Don't really have a good reason, I guess I preferred a direct connection to the battery. Went for this one instead; http://www.amazon.co...ils_o02_s00_i00

#53 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

Yet more progress fella... Sounds like both of us have had some car time today. Got the stereo on the Puma sorted today. Also had a look at the drivers door speaker, as the treble had decided to stop working. Pulled the door card off and took the speakee out, tested it and it was all working fine, so cleaned the connections and all is fine again. Did get tempted to replace them whilst I was wandering around Halfords, but remembered it is meant to be just a tidy shed, so walked away. The Alpine has worked wonders with the sound in the car - which just goes to prove that spending money on speakers first is stupid. Also I tried the Scanguage ashtray and decided I prefered it just sat underneath the ashtray- wedged between that and the transmission tunnel. However I digress, my point was to say that I must get my CTEK back - as it has been on loan for too long now.

#54 RalphyBMW

RalphyBMW

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

Cheers Chris, pleased you got the stereo sorted, front speakers aren't bad to change, only issue is three screws instead of the more common 4, and I think they are a 5" fit? I once fitted 13cm components in mine but swapped them to standard recently as the tweeters kept popping out of the mirror back trims. The 13cm's needed a degree of building out for them to fit. Rears on those are a swine to change though as you need to remove the quarter panels. CTEK seems like a handy thing, I really wanted one as two of our cars don't get much use. I have a Halfords charger but it is a bit of a faff.

#55 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

Weirdly with your fascia adaptor it looks more OEM than the crappy 6000CD Ford unit that was in it when I bought it. Still need to get the front brakes done, but having tried the handbrake whilst moving today I have have decided the rears don't need touching as they are bloody effective... A damn sight better than in the Focus (which is 8yrs and 25k miles its junior).

#56 RalphyBMW

RalphyBMW

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

Pleased it looks ok; don't be dissing the mighty 6000; my Focus only has a 5000 (just like 6000, but with a tape deck!), only use it for the radio and the aux function though. Good for deterring would be thieves!

#57 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

Pleased it looks ok; don't be dissing the mighty 6000; my Focus only has a 5000 (just like 6000, but with a tape deck!), only use it for the radio and the aux function though. Good for deterring would be thieves!

Well my 6000 would in use decided it prefered urdu for several seconds at a time and was driving me up the wall.

#58 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

I know, I did consider getting that one, but decided against it. Don't really have a good reason, I guess I preferred a direct connection to the battery.

Went for this one instead; http://www.amazon.co...ils_o02_s00_i00

I think you did the right thing with that connection. I used the ciggi charger one for 6 months without issue but then it all of a sudden started popping out slightly causing bad connection and CTEK lights flashing. The direct battery connection has been faultless. Nicely routes out of the top of the bonnet. Only faff is having to pop the bonnet to fit, so looking at hiding it somewhere else maybe.

#59 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

I know, I did consider getting that one, but decided against it. Don't really have a good reason, I guess I preferred a direct connection to the battery.

I think you did the right thing with that connection. I used the ciggi charger one for 6 months without issue but then it all of a sudden started popping out slightly causing bad connection and CTEK lights flashing. The direct battery connection has been faultless. Nicely routes out of the top of the bonnet. Only faff is having to pop the bonnet to fit, so looking at hiding it somewhere else maybe.

It has a cover for when it is not being used, does it not?

If so you should be able to feed it out the side of the wheel arch (between the clam and arch liner) so you have easy access to it, and means that should the battery die you can still operate the central locking to gain access to the bonnet latch.

#60 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

It has a cover for when it is not being used, does it not?

If so you should be able to feed it out the side of the wheel arch (between the clam and arch liner) so you have easy access to it, and means that should the battery die you can still operate the central locking to gain access to the bonnet latch.

Yes it does have a little cover. Considered the wheelarch liner but it can get very wet in there (dispite the fact it's garaged and not driven in the rain :D ) I am sure I will find somewhere that sits well with my OCD :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users