• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

Tbh, just putting the hub on mikes car isnt going to find him 10 seconds a lap. The setup of the car was relativly random, afaik it wasnt corner weighted either even if it was the cambers, toes, casters are all random numbers found online, sure it feels ok but im sure it could be changed to really get the best out of it for track. Its going to take someone in the know like scuffers/randall to get in his car drive it and really work with him so its setup the best way for him. Until that level of setup is achieved then putting these hubs on isnt really going to help that much,

#42 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:01 PM

to a point yes, but I can tell you first hand, like for like, they make a very noticable differnce.... (do you think we would have gone to the time and cost to design/make/test/redesign/make/etc if they did nothing?)

#43 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,611 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:02 PM

sorry are we talking about just changing the front hubs, I'll concede thats a piss easy job , you could probably do a back to back comparison on a trackday, swapping just the fronts during lunch break.

#44 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

sorry are we talking about just changing the front hubs, I'll concede thats a p*ss easy job , you could probably do a back to back comparison on a trackday, swapping just the fronts during lunch break.

?? rears are not much harder than the fronts?

all you have extra is a CV joint nut, and a toe link, I would suggest it would take around an hour to change the rears and string it back up again

this is hardly rocket sience....

#45 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

I think mike would benifit more by having his current setup, setup propperly for racing by someone in the know than just changing to these hubs.

#46 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

Mikes had TDI crawling all over his geo and wouldn't be changing castor or camber since. Scrappy toe angles will lessen your performance sure but as much as shitty roll centres...? I doubt it

#47 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:29 PM

Mikes car has an almost identical setup as my car. Infact i think apart from the rear camber its identical. I hardy think thats setup the best way it can be for a race car really. All im saying is that i think it can be improved and i think he would get more of a benifit from that than with the hubs. Sure money no object throw em on. Money could be spend on a stiffer set of springs because i think his are too soft personally.

#48 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

Another question, is the upper wishbone designed as strong as the lower wishbone? If you move up the wheelcenter by changing the hub, more load should go through the upper wishbone compare to std setting. BR, Per

#49 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,611 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:59 PM

a little bit of background reading on the S1 ally , S1 steel and the optimised S2 steel upright https://dl.dropbox.c..._case_study.pdf

#50 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:25 PM

Another question, is the upper wishbone designed as strong as the lower wishbone?
If you move up the wheelcenter by changing the hub, more load should go through the upper wishbone
compare to std setting.

BR, Per

have a think about that, and where the loads are acting upon the upright and then the wishbones....

#51 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:27 PM

a little bit of background reading on the S1 ally , S1 steel and the optimised S2 steel upright

https://dl.dropbox.c..._case_study.pdf

that's mostley cost driven though, show me any (non-road based( race car with steel uprights

#52 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,611 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:31 PM

best i could find, ferrari f458 gt2 steel uprights front and rear

#53 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:42 PM

best i could find, ferrari f458 gt2 steel uprights front and rear

exactly, road based.

let me put it this way, the Race GT uprights in 7075 are some 4+X stiffer than the steel OEM ones

#54 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

let me put it this way, the Race GT uprights in 7075 are some 4+X stiffer than the steel OEM ones

Christ, how flexible were the S1 aluminium uprights, if the steel ones were considered an upgrade in strength? :wacko:

#55 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,034 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

Though it has no practical application for me (can't think why :rolleyes: ) it really is making for thought provoking reading. I now I kept looking at the GT hubs for mine (along with hub packs and tie rods) but couldn't quantify their value. Thank you all.

#56 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:39 PM

Christ, how flexible were the S1 aluminium uprights, if the steel ones were considered an upgrade in strength? :wacko:

your mixing properties...

stiffness has chuff all to do with strenght.

#57 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

Titanium Maybe

Edited by Chill, 27 September 2012 - 06:14 PM.

#58 alanoo

alanoo

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:33 PM

I don't get the goal of this topic ? Are we talking about newly developped GT hubs ? or current EP offers ?

#59 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

current EP offerings.... i think lol

#60 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

I don't get the goal of this topic ? Are we talking about newly developped GT hubs ? or current EP offers ?

they are hardly new, the newest are the race GT ones and they are 3+ years ago....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users