• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#141 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

Stuwy if it's of use to you in any way I have reviewed my on-board footage of that corner taken with my Blackvue black box recorder, I can forward the file onto you if needs be. Obviously I don't know your situation with insurance etc but perhaps it may prove useful in giving a drivers perspective of the approach? (although I know there was talk of some one 'looking after' some camera footage so maybe you will have that covered?) It shows that it's a 40 limit and that the corner does have SLOW painted on the road and black/white chevrons pointing around it. The aluminous yellow Max 20MPH sign (advisory only as not framed in red) is slightly obscured by the hedge especially from a low view point as in a VX. My footage shows that on the approach I slowed from 4* and entered it at around 35 and was doing around 26 upon exiting it. No dramas to speak of for me, got round it feeling fairly comfortable and whilst I was maybe hugging the inside quite a bit I did pass a Nissan Micra mid corner with plenty of clearance. It seems there was a slight bump / camber change in the road surface at the tightest point on the inside of the corner, seemed to cause a slight pull at my wheels which may have been what pushed your car over its limit. Read into that what you will but obviously our cars are likely going to be more capable of cornering than your average family hatch so the limit is probably well advised. Can I or rather do you want me to post stills or footage of the location? (Doesn't show you, I think you where a few cars behind me) I had intended on posting up a video of the convoy in general with tunnels etc but will hold off doing so or edit accordingly if you would prefer?

Edited by -Dab-of-Oppo-, 09 April 2013 - 05:06 PM.

#142 GiGo

GiGo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

Only just read this..... fcuk me, glad your both ok.

#143 Duncan_F

Duncan_F

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,725 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:25 PM

The only time lectures happen are with people who do dangerous things or don't take responsibility for their actions.

You've already said it was your fault and effectively mis-read the road. End of story, No ear-bashing here. Good on you for taking responsibility, a very mature attitude. thumbsup

:yeahthat:

Like Bob said, it's when people try and blame anything other than themselves that the lectures start, I, like I'm sure many on here, have had moments where, if there wasn't another vehicle in the wrong place at the wrong time, we'd have ended up in an identical situation to you, you were just unlucky that there was another car there.

Like others have said, I think getting back into the drivers seat quickly will be good for you, I can totally understand the trepidation though.

#144 Wreelybro

Wreelybro

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Interests:Racing WRC/F1/Miglia/Time Attack/MotoGp etc...
    360 Gaming 10-Pin Bowling.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

Stuwy & Liz so sorry to here this news but as a lot have said cars can be replaced lives can't. Pleased you're OK and if I can help in any way just ask.

Edited by Wreelybro, 09 April 2013 - 06:43 PM.

#145 Andy_VX

Andy_VX

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Boats, F1, Cycling, Home Cinema, Music.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:15 PM

I can understand how you feel stuwy, I felt the same after my accident, although yours was much worse. I did get straight back in a car and it did help. The thought of a track day is probably very daunting atm but its the best way to build confidence again. I'm booking an airfield track day soon, I know people don't rate them but I think it's good after an accident because there's plenty of run off etc. you may find it useful to take a pax too. Don't rush in to anything though as it was clearly traumatic. Hope you're both still feeling okish. Andy.

#146 deano01

deano01

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts
  • Interests:Playing with chainsaws and other power tools, Films, rallying, fishing, Vx

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

:( Hope you and lizzy recover quickly. :grouphug:

#147 kelowrath

kelowrath

• Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, women, summer drives :P

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:43 PM

Sad times mate, glad you guys are ok! Sounds f**cking terrifying!

#148 starlight

starlight

I used to have a Europa, and had a VX220T once...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Oily bits...

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:44 AM

Only just read this... So sorry to hear and see this Stuwy. I only met you and Lizzie once (when Joe Turbo wrote his VX off in a tunnel somewhere in London), and glad to hear you are both OK. A car is replaceable and is designed to protect the occupants, which I'm glad to see the VX did. Hope all goes well with whatever you decide to do next. :grouphug:

#149 AliM

AliM

insert humour here

• 9,146 posts
  • Interests:playing cars and general mischief.

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

ah guys, only just seen this :( So sorry about the car, but glad that you are both OK. :grouphug: If you need anything give us a shout xx

#150 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:14 PM

Stumy, chin up and take up the offers of help if you can. People who have been through similar know how you feel and that you will have to get back on the horse sooner rather than later. It might feel too much but your comfort zone has probably shrunk to almost nothing. It might not be easy to take all the advice now but don't make plans for compromises, make plans for being able to do what you love, again. If you lack some confidence then plan to overcome it. If you feel anxious about driving then plan to feel excited about it. It's natural to feel down and have the after effects of shock plus sleepless nights/disturbed sleep with bad dreams. You will get past this stage in time. Share your feelings here once you have been back out in the corsa a few times. Best wishes to you and Lizzy.

#151 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:19 PM

Joey took me out in his VX today and I have to admit I was wanting a longer ride by the end. 3/4 seconds of bad compared to 3ish years of great driving fun.. ok 2 years if you take the time she was off the road :lol: really there is no comparison still hate the corsa :P

#152 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:30 PM

Joey took me out in his VX today and I have to admit I was wanting a longer ride by the end. 3/4 seconds of bad compared to 3ish years of great driving fun.. ok 2 years if you take the time she was off the road :lol: really there is no comparison

still hate the corsa :P

Seems like you are cheering up a bit :)

How's the injuries?

#153 Wick

Wick

• Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:31 AM

Nice one Joey :) no one can resist that noise!

#154 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:51 AM

Well done guys. Best thing I did was buy another and spend some time with Mr Walsh. I'll happily admit I didn't 100% enjoy the HSB as it brought things back a bit...

#155 Silent Steve

Silent Steve

Tit

• 2,000 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:48 AM

Joey took me out in his VX today and I have to admit I was wanting a longer ride by the end. 3/4 seconds of bad compared to 3ish years of great driving fun.. ok 2 years if you take the time she was off the road :lol: really there is no comparison

How's the injuries?

C'mon Stuwy and Lizy. How are you both? We need an update.

#156 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:55 AM

That's it, let those feelings out.
You have to come to terms with the situation you find yourself in...and sell the corsa :lol:

Good Will Hunting mode
It's not your fault...
It's not your fault...
/Good Will Hunting mode

#157 Harry Hornet

Harry Hornet

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:30 AM

wheres the Iceman when you need some karma and a bit of zen??

#158 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

How's the injuries?

C'mon Stuwy and Lizy. How are you both? We need an update.

feeling a bit better, can walk without being in pain now.. still not comfortable but moving in the right direction..

Oh yea, Harnesses :wub:

the thing that is annoying me at the moment, before we went out Sunday I took the HT off and just stuck it in the middle of the living room...

#159 Claws

Claws

Stage FA NA FTW!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,246 posts
  • Interests:Daft plastic cars

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

Glad to see you're on the mend! Why is that annoying?

Edited by Claws, 11 April 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#160 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,220 posts
  • Interests:Stock Car Racing. Sailing, Good Food and Drink! Celtic, Scottish National Team. Bands

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

I'm guessing he's a bit sore for lifting it! :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users