76 replies to this topic

#21 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:45 PM

Sounds good to me, I like the idea of fit and forget It's a bit of a leap of faith though :(

#22 Crazyfrog (Fab)

Crazyfrog (Fab)

Iceman

• 22,801 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:08 PM

Quantum zero fitted finally today on the VX Sachs now retired So what do I think after 3 hours of driving Very good and a very smart shock I shall say Went to test the car after fitting and some dick left his car on the side of the road after a bend Quickly react and the car just follow my intention move ...abs off so just a little trail of smoke and went back hazel ly and felt very safe Can,t wait to go on the track with it Set up is good and having a geo next week to make sure it will be good Off tomorow to London @ 6 am for few,s hours of topless drive. Lol

#23 turbobob

turbobob

2/3rds of a Queen

• 13,833 posts
  • Interests:Football - support Derby County
    Photography
    CARS!!
    Computers (oh no not another nerd....)
    Travelling

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:15 PM

A good french write up there :D

#24 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

On the run from the grammar police!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

Compared to the Sachs? Much difference in road use, as I find mine are fantastic.

#25 Crazyfrog (Fab)

Crazyfrog (Fab)

Iceman

• 22,801 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

Compared to the Sachs? Much difference in road use, as I find mine are fantastic.

Different ball game compare to sach to be honest specially if you drive with a spirited mind and had mine 6 years on the car btw
I have 3 sach in good condition if you ever need spares :-)

#26 Crazyfrog (Fab)

Crazyfrog (Fab)

Iceman

• 22,801 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

A good french write up there :D/>

Sorry bob did my best as I am tired today
Anyway if some don,t like my writing they can go to hell. Lol

Don,t forget the fab,s sock. For a good cause

Edited by Fab VX, 20 April 2013 - 09:26 PM.

#27 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

Well that's good to know tbh. It was like night and day when I fitted mine and went on track. Ill be in the market next year for a more track focused set up and will bare quantum in mind.

#28 turbobob

turbobob

2/3rds of a Queen

• 13,833 posts
  • Interests:Football - support Derby County
    Photography
    CARS!!
    Computers (oh no not another nerd....)
    Travelling

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:29 PM

How comfortable are they? Are they a nice balance between good handing and comfort? And I was being serious. A good write up Fab thumbsup Not sure I want your socks after Joe has masturbated in them :closedeyes:

#29 Crazyfrog (Fab)

Crazyfrog (Fab)

Iceman

• 22,801 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

Well that's good to know tbh. It was like night and day when I fitted mine and went on track.

Ill be in the market next year for a more track focused set up and will bare quantum in mind.

The biggest problem with Sachs is you can,t service them
I had mine checked at a cost of £120.00 to find out one was gone

So quantum was my best solution after cliffy supplied me a good set

#30 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:35 PM

Well that's good to know tbh. It was like night and day when I fitted mine and went on track.

Ill be in the market next year for a more track focused set up and will bare quantum in mind.

The biggest problem with Sachs is you can,t service them
I had mine checked at a cost of £120.00 to find out one was gone

So quantum was my best solution after cliffy supplied me a good set

Touch wood, rob999 looked after them well with little track use.

If they last me this track season, then ill be happy. The lack of serviceability is their down fall, however the progressive springs and valving is perfect for a learning track driver (like myself). :)

#31 alexb

alexb

• PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

Trying to learn. When someone says that Nitrons do not have enough droop, what does that mean? And before I'm shot down, yes, I read some books (and they were even some amongst them about suspension :happy: ). As far as I understand total travel of a damper (or better, wheel, but we're talking dampers here and they determine the travel of the wheel) is droop + bump. Droop is the total downward movement available from static rideheight and bump the total upward movement. How much droop and bump you actually have depends on the rideheight, which depends on -among others- spring rate, spring pre-tension and damper length. Does the remark about not enough droop then refer to the Nitrons not having enough travel in general? Or to the inability to set ride height in combination with a preferred spring rate such that enough droop is still available?

#32 peteslag

peteslag

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Interests:real ale, food, real ale

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

I’ve already passed comment on these shocks on the track, here is part 2 of the review. I’ve got about 500 miles of road use now, I’ve used the car on a variety of surfaces. This includes spirited b road driving and a number of different bumps/pot holes. The Quantum’s seem to be able to soak anything up. They are definitely a bit harsher than OEM but then, I specified track use when I bought them. The guy at Elise parts rang me while he was building them to ask what sort of driving I would be doing with them. I would imagine that with softer springs they would be absolutely perfect for road use. Having said that, Quantum Zeros are far superior to OEM billies in every way, even with stiffer springs. It was a bit of a leap of faith buying these shocks. On reflection, I am over the moon with my choice. For a sub £1000 damper they are superb.

#33 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

Trying to learn. When someone says that Nitrons do not have enough droop, what does that mean? And before I'm shot down, yes, I read some books (and they were even some amongst them about suspension :happy:/> ). As far as I understand total travel of a damper (or better, wheel, but we're talking dampers here and they determine the travel of the wheel) is droop + bump. Droop is the total downward movement available from static rideheight and bump the total upward movement. How much droop and bump you actually have depends on the rideheight, which depends on -among others- spring rate, spring pre-tension and damper length. Does the remark about not enough droop then refer to the Nitrons not having enough travel in general? Or to the inability to set ride height in combination with a preferred spring rate such that enough droop is still available?

something i posted elsewhere...

Just to illustrate the point, this is Syd's car with his new Quantum Blacks installed at sensible (road) ride heights (~125).

left is at ride hight, right is at full droop:
Posted ImagePosted Image

As you probably can't read the tape, it's showing some ~80mm of droop at the back wheels, whilst at the same time having plenty of bump travel available (even when using relatively soft springs).

As a comparison, this is his old Nitron 1 ways lined up against the new Quantum Blacks:
Posted Image
Posted Image

As you can see, they are not only longer fully open, but have way more 'travel' so that the closed lengths are not compromised (and actually marginally shorter than the Nitrons above).

here's a short video clip showing the level of droop:

http://vimeo.com/38482904

and looking from the back, this is the point where the wheel is still just in contact with the ground:

Posted Image

Obviously when cornering, the 'loaded' side would be down more, but you see the point, with less droop you would quickly get to the point where the unloaded wheel is off the ground, at which point it's doing nothing useful (and when people then complain they need an LSD)

#34 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

And now I want some zeros. I am going to have to put a self imposed ban on reading anything on this forum. It's not fair, and my bank account hates me. They do sound perfect for me though. No buggering around with settings, more pothole soakupability (it should be a word) on country B roads, and better on track than standard billies - is that the general consensus?

#35 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

So, with all of this extra droop/travel/length/whatever, any danger of interference and subsequent damage with the subframe on the rear upper wishbones, like the standard Bilsteins and Nitrons?

#36 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:19 PM

So, with all of this extra droop/travel/length/whatever, any danger of interference and subsequent damage with the subframe on the rear upper wishbones, like the standard Bilsteins and Nitrons?

no

why would you think that?

#37 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

Just that everything else seems to have had problems on the VX at some point in their development cycle with denting upper wishbones on bump. I assume there's some presumption that if it works on an Elise/Exige then it'll do exactly the same on the VX without further adjustment and that they've never actually seen the more heavily recessed upper wishbone mounts on the VX's subframe.

#38 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

If these had been around when I swapped my Billies for Exige Billies then I think they would have been on my car so quickly. In the end I had gone for Exige Billies, which we great - but a little more forgiveness on rough surfaces would have been the icing on the cake.

Edited by Mangham54, 21 April 2013 - 01:50 PM.

#39 Scuffers

Scuffers

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

Just that everything else seems to have had problems on the VX at some point in their development cycle with denting upper wishbones on bump. I assume there's some presumption that if it works on an Elise/Exige then it'll do exactly the same on the VX without further adjustment and that they've never actually seen the more heavily recessed upper wishbone mounts on the VX's subframe.

ah, ok...

know what you mean, although ideal damper lengths between VX and Elise are the same.

if you ghetto the point of wishbone contact, the campers are too short and should have bumped out before then, also, to get to that point, the car is being run too low for the spring and damping rates chosen.

#40 Lou_m

Lou_m

Addicted to Hooning

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motorsport, cycling

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

I'm very interested in a set for my turbo. What sort of ride height should you go for on a road setup? Does having a 16/17 inch wheel size make much difference as it will bring front end lower?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users