#1 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,785 posts
  • Interests:Big baps.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:07 PM

So the Allegro is now 40 years old.

It's a car I have a relationship with as I actually used to own one - a gift from my grandmother when she quit driving. I don't miss it, but in many respects it is such a 'nearly' car.

Compared to a Golf from the same period - a very successful car, it was more spacious, more comfortable and had a much better ride.

So what was wrong with it?

Let's deal with the factual things first.

Austin thought only a saloon would be acceptable to a large part of their market, so they designed it to look like a hatchback but not have a hatchback. Like the Mini. One of those sub-optimal catch-22 decisions that alienates both the markets you're trying to reach. This owner was so frustrated he reversed into a wall. Or another Allegro.

Posted Image

The earlier ones had a square steering wheel. I don't need to explain why this is bad but you do wonder why the designers didn't follow this logic to conclusion and give it square road wheels too.

Posted Image

The rear seat didn't have rounded corners so getting in and out of the back was not the most elegant exercise.

It was made by British Leyland, so broke down, fell apart and corroded. Red Robbo quality control.

Visually, it didn't work at all. It looked like a bad design that had then been melted a little. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but there are limits.

Posted Image

Austin consistently made lame, sitcom cars. Actually, sitcom's really highlight where it all went wrong. Austin never capitalised on the coolness of the Mini, or its rally successes. They were content to wallow in mustard coloured, chrome radiator-ed, vinyl roofed, cheap velour-ed, retired bank manager territory.

Sexy advertising couldn't conceal a very undesireable product.

Posted Image

It was an Austin/Morris thing, not a BL thing. Triumph and Rover cars were mostly cool, and maybe XJS aside, Jaguar also. You do wonder why the Austin/Morris people succeeded in bringing down the company rather than the Triumph/Rover/Jaguar people rescuing it, but the Allegro was succeeded by the Maestro, and the last car they designed was the Rover 75, which was still very much in retired bank manager territory, although I quite like it.

I sold mine to a retired couple. The woman test drove it but didn't want to try 5th gear as she'd never used one before and found the concept scary. That's the kind of market you shouldn't cater for, and sums it up really.

#2 2GOOD

2GOOD

Old Timer zzz...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts
  • Interests:My little red car of course!
    & the matt black vee twin thingy...

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

My father bought one brand new in 1974, I can still remember the registration number & going with him to collect it, Okay I was only 10, however Dad would have been 15 years younger than I am now & he chose a maroon one? He swapped the 'Quartic' steering wheel for one from a Maxi & kept the car for at least 4 years before selling it.

#3 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,785 posts
  • Interests:Big baps.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

Here's a video on quality control at BL. Notice David Suchet working as a designer before he became Poirot.

Check out Wendy the typist. Definitely do 'er romantic style even though she typed up the spec wrong.

#4 turbobob

turbobob

2/3rds of a Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,833 posts
  • Interests:Football - support Derby County
    Photography
    CARS!!
    Computers (oh no not another nerd....)
    Travelling

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

I want one :)