14 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:41 PM

After donington in the rain I should have cleaned the wheels straight away but I haven't had issues with brake dust from the rs14's before so left it until today. Which was a mistake...

After trying car shampoo, motorbike cleaner, wd40, brake cleaner, some wet and dry sandpaper and finally the jet wash . My wheels looked like this:

Posted Image

So I went to halfords and bought autoglyms best. Armed with this and an old washing up brush plus plenty of scrubbing with both the bristles and the plastic handle, they now look like this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

good work fella :)

Edited by hairy, 19 October 2013 - 07:43 PM.

#3 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:53 PM

You used wet and dry on your alloys!?  :o

#4 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:08 PM

Nothing wrong with some 1200 wet and dry as long as you're gentle... Tried it on a small patch between 2 of the spokes but it didn't touch the crud so I stopped quickly. So pleased the autoglym did the job. It has hydrochloric acid in it to eat through the dust but needed much more than the recommended 60 seconds to soak in...

#5 TJenkos

TJenkos

• PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:29 PM

Wonder wheels would also have been a good call, and probably a fair bit more acidic. Don't use it all the time though else it will kill the shine on them fairly quickly. It's designed to be used to only recover the wheel then you can seal them up and have them protected.

Edited by TJenkos, 19 October 2013 - 08:30 PM.

#6 Rickwoo118

Rickwoo118

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:32 PM

I have used autoglym on mine in the past and it does seem pretty good. Doesn't last long though.

#7 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:37 PM

Wonder wheels would also have been a good call, and probably a fair bit more acidic. Don't use it all the time though else it will kill the shine on them fairly quickly. It's designed to be used to only recover the wheel then you can seal them up and have them protected.

Had both wonder wheels and the autoglym in my hands and went autoglym just because it mentioned the acid. Hopefully won't need it too often. Any recommendations to seal them?

#8 H1 HWK

H1 HWK

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:37 PM

Good recovery.....

Now get some of the Armor All Shield for Wheels stuff. Really helps put a barrier on clean alloys and makes it easier next time you clean.

http://www.halfords....tegoryId_255235

Also one can will last you a good while.

Edited by H1 HWK, 19 October 2013 - 08:38 PM.

#9 TJenkos

TJenkos

• PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:51 PM

I'm using Planet Polish Wheel Seal and Shine at the moment, but also have AutoFinesse Mint Rims. Depends how much you want to spend but they're awesome sealants. Something like FinishKare 1000 will be good, and you can use that on the bodywork too. The tubs are massive and will last you years. Might be listed as fk1000. It'll save you doing all this hard work again and just needs a shampoo wash just like the bodywork next time..

#10 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:30 PM

I would never go near alloys with any wet and dry, I wouldn't even use a jet washer. It strips the lacquer, you wont see it immediately but especially with the cold weather coming up if any moisture gets under it it will lift and you will need a refurb. 

Just use a lot of hot water, plenty of PH neutral wheel cleaner and even more patience.

I had a set of Volks Racing wheels on my Zed, at over £500 a wheel I didn't think twice about whacking on some gtechnique wheel armour which is pricey but means you wont end up with the dust deposits like that.

#11 PHB1969

PHB1969

Premium Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:48 PM

I've been using Bilt-Hamber......

http://www.autoexpre...t-wheel-cleaner

....stinks a bit, but does a great job.... :)

#12 Claws

Claws

Stage FA NA FTW!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,246 posts
  • Interests:Daft plastic cars

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:28 PM

I like both AutoGlym and Wonder Wheels, but I am in the unique position that I haven't washed my wheels since May (pre 1100 mile Highland Hoon) and many other decent blasts. Fair to say that the dust will be pretty baked on :lol: I will do one front with AutoGlym and the other with Wonder Wheels.

#13 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:40 PM

I would never go near alloys with any wet and dry, I wouldn't even use a jet washer. It strips the lacquer, you wont see it immediately but especially with the cold weather coming up if any moisture gets under it it will lift and you will need a refurb. Just use a lot of hot water, plenty of PH neutral wheel cleaner and even more patience. I had a set of Volks Racing wheels on my Zed, at over £500 a wheel I didn't think twice about whacking on some gtechnique wheel armour which is pricey but means you wont end up with the dust deposits like that.

+1 for gtechniq , best stuff I've used :)

Edited by Bumblebee, 20 October 2013 - 11:42 PM.

#14 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:40 PM

Oh and great for you vx'ers that don like cleaning lol

#15 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:35 AM

It is tremendous stuff, you get a tiny bottle so have to be careful when applying you don't over do it and run out before you have done all 4 wheels. But it will shrug off brake dust and mean you can wipe it clean with a wash mitt rather than any sort of abrasive action.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users