Bitcoin

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#201 rik

rik

Scary Internerd

• 2,187 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:13 PM

its only at gox where there is speculation that they are bankrupt and you have a diminishing chance of getting your coin/cash out of it

#202 Seb.F

Seb.F

Under Your Bed

• 6,045 posts
  • Interests:Tech head

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

Meh, gox is volatile at the moment. Also - virtual currencies are not ponzi in any way, shape or form. I have BTC, DOGE and LTC, sure they are prone to more fluctuations than fiat is, but it's all about intrinsic value, correct? For example, a house in the dumps of Detroit is worth nothing, nobody would even take it for free. That same house in the Bay Area, worth a hell of a lot more. The value in something is determined not by what it is, but by how much people want it and how they can use it. Email is better than a letter, google is better than a library, why would virtual currency with a massive chain of transactions not be better than fiat? I don't even need to ask that question really. The value of it is quite clearly shown in peoples back pockets.

#203 dave_dub86

dave_dub86

• Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:31 PM

Crazy isn't it, but people can't get usd into gox to buy and gox users can't get usd or bitcoin out. The sooner the bitcoin community is rid of gox the better, they've been hassle for months, so poorly run. I'd hate to have funds stuck in there.

#204 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:33 PM

Email is better than a letter, google is better than a library,

If you say so.

#205 Seb.F

Seb.F

Under Your Bed

• 6,045 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:36 PM

If I had it my way, all physical mail would be obliterated, the waste we have to throw away each week is an abomination. Librarys are all well and good for research into very, very specific areas and nothing quite beats holding a good novel, but for all the rest, I see no use trawling your arse to a library to find out what year the first world war started and so on.

#206 dave_dub86

dave_dub86

• Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

Haha glad you got into bitcoin Seb, I told you to buy some when I picked the Vx up off you! Hope you've been putting that gaming pc to use down the mines.. you should definitely check out vertcoin; ASIC miner and pool resistant, completely hidden transactions from the blockchain and a rapidly growing community.

Edited by dave_dub86, 20 February 2014 - 03:39 PM.

#207 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:46 PM

If you'd paid attention in history, you'd have known when WW1 started. :P

I'd do the opposite and dump email in a flash. It's the spawn of the devil. I get hundreds of emails delivered all day long, 99.9% of which I either don't want, don't need or don't care about. At least with proper mail, the half dozen bits I get a week are delivered once each day and they can just sit on the door mat until I can arsed to pick them up.

All this bitshittery will prove to be worthless sooner, rather than later. The £ may well prove to be worthless at some point in the future as well but at least it's been around for more than a 1,000 years, which is more than any of this made up stuff will.

#208 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

Strangely. I can't stand reading physical books anymore and wouldn't give up my Kindle for anything.

#209 Seb.F

Seb.F

Under Your Bed

• 6,045 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:18 PM

Haha glad you got into bitcoin Seb, I told you to buy some when I picked the Vx up off you! Hope you've been putting that gaming pc to use down the mines.. you should definitely check out vertcoin; ASIC miner and pool resistant, completely hidden transactions from the blockchain and a rapidly growing community.

I'll have a look at it yeah! The SLI Titans do get a few spouts of mining every now and again but it's mostly the 12 R9 290s that sit happily mining away!  

All this bitshittery will prove to be worthless sooner, rather than later. The £ may well prove to be worthless at some point in the future as well but at least it's been around for more than a 1,000 years, which is more than any of this made up stuff will.

I'm not necessarily debating whether bitcoin itself will be around for another 5,10 years etc. However, I find it hard to believe that people could be against some form of internationally accessible currency that can already be used for so many different things. I have purchased pizzas with altcoins before - when you trace it all the way back all I technically paid for the pizza was around £2 in electricity bills, if that. Bitcoin has been about for 6 years or so now, even given its short life in comparison to mainstream fiat currencies, that's still quite impressive for a bit of 'bitshittery' is it not?

#210 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,611 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:41 PM

I have purchased pizzas with altcoins before - when you trace it all the way back all I technically paid for the pizza was around £2 in electricity bills, if that. Bitcoin has been about for 6 years or so now, even given its short life in comparison to mainstream fiat currencies, that's still quite impressive for a bit of 'bitshittery' is it not?

Let me know when you can buy your McLaren 650S in alt coins.

#211 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:43 PM

I've got nothing against it, but it's far from accessible in my experience (granted that was 4 or 5 years ago) and no easier to use internationally than the £/$/€ and no more instant. A big currency deviation in the £'s exchange rate is measured in a percentage point or two. A minor dip in any of these "currencies" is measured in 10's of %. It's too volatile to be considered a reliable international currency to use (and certainly to hold). It's too susceptible to shifts in confidence and the only people that seem to have any confidence in it, funnily enough, are the people mining it and trying to convince the world it really works.

#212 dave_dub86

dave_dub86

• Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:48 PM

I'll have a look at it yeah! The SLI Titans do get a few spouts of mining every now and again but it's mostly the 12 R9 290s that sit happily mining away!
12?? Sh!t the bed!

#213 Seb.F

Seb.F

Under Your Bed

• 6,045 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:13 PM

I've got nothing against it, but it's far from accessible in my experience (granted that was 4 or 5 years ago) and no easier to use internationally than the £/$/ and no more instant. A big currency deviation in the £'s exchange rate is measured in a percentage point or two. A minor dip in any of these "currencies" is measured in 10's of %. It's too volatile to be considered a reliable international currency to use (and certainly to hold). It's too susceptible to shifts in confidence and the only people that seem to have any confidence in it, funnily enough, are the people mining it and trying to convince the world it really works.

When I first started, I didn't even mine any myself, I traded it, which like any currency has ups and downs and it just takes noticing those ups and downs. Accessibility, anyone can go on a website, put in some fiat, exchange for crypto, withdraw to your own personal wallet. The whole process takes around 15 minutes.

#214 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,611 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

Still going well for Mt Gox then

#215 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:06 PM

Talk of a takeover underway at the moment.

#216 Crazyfrog (Fab)

Crazyfrog (Fab)

Iceman

• 22,801 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:31 PM

Talk of a takeover underway at the moment.

Vanished

#217 kitcar765

kitcar765

• PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 05:44 PM

....And thats my mortgage paid off! 

#218 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,909 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 09 April 2021 - 08:25 PM

Very pleased that an ordinary mortal has got something out of this BS. If you care to share some of your experiences I will be very interested (although I'm sure there will be plenty of critics, sorry).

Well done sir!

#219 iceman

iceman

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,159 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 06:48 AM

Good Morning Seb.

A hearty hello to you sir, happy to hear that this is working so well for you.

I must admit to having seen the thread title (but not the poster) and immediately thought that it was going to be about how some poor soul had lost their house to (what i have always presumed was...)..the 'rip-off' coin, i could not be happier that the exact opposite applies and then, could not be happier still that it is you (hey...you owe me a favour, lol).

Ignorance and suspicion weave a tangled web, one i was (...although, always happy to be corrected) totally wrapped up in. I presumed that, at best, it was tantamount to an electronic pyramid scheme, where for every winner, fifty other losers lay crying in their losses. Whilst i do love you 'bro' ...i reserve the right to still harbour a hankering for my ignorant worry at such wizardry lol. That is to say, that it is most certainly a different world to the one i cut my teeth on, one where the closest thing to the internet and such keyboard driven electronic advancement, was the amazement at the introduction of electronic typewriters lol, so please do forgive my ignorance.

I am happy to live and learn though but my finances would never stretch to the limits required to reign-in 'stupid', lol   

Lovely to see the world move at such a pace and envelope new technology thus and those born with and growing up with that technology, will i guess look back at the dinosaur world of nine-to-five trawling, black faced in the mines, as wasted energy.

Gosh...i wish i had kept skipping over this thread without opening now (glum faced icey) suddenly i feel twenty years older than i did when i awoke this morning.

Keep up the good work sir, the continued health of your wealth wished...

..icey 

Edited by iceman, 10 April 2021 - 06:57 AM.

#220 iceman

iceman

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,159 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 06:54 AM

Good morning.

Gosh, well done...what can i say that has not already been, oh..i know....

... Imnotworthy

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users