• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

#1 denno

denno

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:56 PM

Going to be replacing the clio 172 in the new year, need a 5 door car now and like the look of the m135i, some great deals on these at the moment. Has anyone driven one? Reviews seem to be really positive, rave reviews in fact. I still would have every intention of keeping the vx and continue using it as a toy, my only concern would be if I started to lose the desire to take it out for just a blast because I'd have such a capable daily. The clio is fun but when I jump out of that and into the vx it really feels like an event swopping from one to the other, not sure if the vx would feel such an event after stepping out of the 135. Thoughts please.

#2 J4EY D

J4EY D

Bob Maloogaloogaloogaloogalooga

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:45 AM

Amazing car! I'll be getting one in the spring. Go to your local dealer and get a test drive in one, they really are lovely to drive.

#3 Sammy

Sammy

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:08 AM

some great deals on these at the moment.

Care to share them? I've seen a couple of tempting lease deals but are only for 2 years.

#4 J4EY D

J4EY D

Bob Maloogaloogaloogaloogalooga

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:15 AM

Care to share them? I've seen a couple of tempting lease deals but are only for 2 years.
£280 a month, no deposit... BMW staff only :P

Edited by J4EY D, 02 December 2013 - 07:15 AM.

#5 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:43 AM

Yup, a fantastic piece of kit.

Absolute performance bargain, and far more involving (if not as fast or grippy) as a Merc A45 AMG. The only thing they really lack is a proper diff, but you'll not really notice that in day to day driving, and though a five door there's still not a huge amount of room in the rear. Don't be put off by the eight-speed auto either, if you can't find a manual, as its a fantastic unit. It's up to you if you can live with the looks.

Here's one 'we' wrote earlier

http://www.parkers.c...oad-test/58804/

Oh, and VX will always feel like more of an event. At the end of the day, no matter how fast or capable it is the BMW is still just a hot hatch. The low seating position, sparse cabin, intruding sills, tiny unassisted wheel, rattles, mid-engine balance and roof-off capability ensures the VX220 will still make you smile every time you 'gracefully' slipe behind the wheel.

G

Edited by Graeme Lambert, 02 December 2013 - 09:45 AM.

#6 denno

denno

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:53 AM

On babybmw forum it seems some owners have received upto 20% discount so I guess it's a case of finding a dealer, haggle hard and phone round to try and get an even better deal.

#7 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Nothing

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:57 AM

I've been tempted by the 1 series a few times now, but every time I start to look at them I realise the build quality and spec just aren't up to the 3 series standard.

If it were my money, I'd get a 5 door 330

#8 denno

denno

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:07 AM

Yup, a fantastic piece of kit.

Absolute performance bargain, and far more involving (if not as fast or grippy) as a Merc A45 AMG. The only thing they really lack is a proper diff, but you'll not really notice that in day to day driving, and though a five door there's still not a huge amount of room in the rear. Don't be put off by the eight-speed auto either, if you can't find a manual, as its a fantastic unit. It's up to you if you can live with the looks.

Here's one 'we' wrote earlier

http://www.parkers.c...oad-test/58804/

Oh, and VX will always feel like more of an event. At the end of the day, no matter how fast or capable it is the BMW is still just a hot hatch. The low seating position, sparse cabin, intruding sills, tiny unassisted wheel, rattles, mid-engine balance and roof-off capability ensures the VX220 will still make you smile every time you 'gracefully' slipe behind the wheel.

G

That's a good point around the vx should still feel like an event. I'm guessing performance the bm would be similar to stage 4 turbo.

#9 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:48 AM

Didnt realist they was that quick

#10 denno

denno

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

I say similar, probably not quite as quick but think Chris Harris was getting times of around 10.5 seconds 0-100mph, which is rather swift for a hot hatch! So on the move guess there wouldn't be much in it v's a stage 4 tubby.

#11 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:44 AM

But the VX will 'feel' faster.

On paper times (either from the manufacturer or as tested) rarely translate completely into seat of pants feel - especially in something as refined and smooth as a 135i. That's not a negative comment by the way, just reinforcing that the VX should and would feel very differenr regardless of power of both cars.

#12 Rickwoo118

Rickwoo118

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:28 PM

Oh yes Aimy! they are rapid.....don't worry though....it wouldn't catch a stage 4 tubby.

#13 Lou_m

Lou_m

Addicted to Hooning

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motorsport, cycling

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:39 PM

Lots of chat on Pistonheads about the deals available:

http://www.pistonhea...ates?&mid=28348

Seems the best place to get one is here:

http://www.gateway2l...hp#.UpzTLeKfXNq

If I wasn't trying to sell my house, buying a bigger house and trying to sort out a new job for next year then I'd be all over this like a tramp on chips.

#14 Sammy

Sammy

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:59 PM

£280 a month, no deposit... BMW staff only :P

What's the friends of BMW staff rate? :P

#15 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:40 PM

Mate of mine has an m135i hatch, while I have the N54 twin turbo 135i coupe. The pace is jaw slackening on both cars from the factory, but mine is packing a bit more oomph than standard ;) Pace wise I've never been in a stage 4 turbo VX but my car hits 100 without killing the clutch in about 9.5s. Torque is enough to pull on an E92 M3 noticeably. Agree with the comments on the VX being an event to drive and even just to sit in traffic compared, but the 135 is great for a daily as I get 25mpg around town and my insurance is under 300. And noise wise the VX can't compete, even with a larini fitted - bmw performance exhaust sounds (in my elderly neighbours words) 'like a tank'...!

#16 Rickwoo118

Rickwoo118

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:12 AM

How does the M135 and your 135 differ? Are they the same engine, turbo etc? Have you officially timed your run to 100 as that time is extremely good. I may look at getting one myself.

#17 fluffyskg

fluffyskg

• PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:41 AM

I now can't stop looking at these deals. Damn you...

#18 turbobob

turbobob

2/3rds of a Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,833 posts
  • Interests:Football - support Derby County
    Photography
    CARS!!
    Computers (oh no not another nerd....)
    Travelling

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:49 AM

But they are  :sick: to look at. They look like E.T. 

Posted Image

#19 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:56 AM

Yeah I agree there not the nicest looking cars could think of plenty of other cars for that money

#20 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:12 AM

although mine is only a 120D chavsport, its a really wonderful thing to drive and I do wonder why it took so long for us to sway round to a BMW :lol: Yes its sh*t to look at from the outside but when I'm in it I cant see that :lol:

function over form :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users