Bmw M135I

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

#121 JamesC

JamesC

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Beer, Diving, not necessarily in that order....

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:38 AM

At the minute it is.  It is my company car so still on the look out for something else since the VX went.  

I have looked at a couple of Caterhams and thought about getting a Clio 172/182 and having it as a track car but will see what happens.

#122 timfishy

timfishy

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:40 AM

Guy at work has an early 135i coupe (the twin turbo one) with a tuning box which puts out about 360hp. It feels epicly quick and you can switch between engine maps from the steering wheel controls. The run-flat tyres are awful AND expensive. It only takes a couple of sets of run-flat tyres and it would have been cheaper to source some non run-flat wheels and tyres.

You can get decent 135i's for as little as £12k but if I was spending that much on a second hand BMW then I'd consider maybe the 335i

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171341180507

Or submit to the devil and go diesel:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271501154023

#123 denno

denno

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:27 AM

I have done around 2.5k miles in mine so far so getting to know the car a little better. When I first started this topic I wondered if the vx would end up left on the side lines due the 135 being such a capable all rounder. Fortunately it hasn't been the case, I still hanker to take the vx out for blasts on the weekend and when the sunshine comes out. The 135 although an incredible daily drive just doesn't compare to the vx in terms of feeling like an event and sheer road presence. It does get the odd admiring glance and I've been asked about it on a couple of occasions on the petrol forecourts but compared to the vx it's almost invisible. This is a good thing for a daily commuter though in all honesty, you can just go about your business, the only cars that seem to want to see what it can do are other Bmw owners, usually in their diesel rep mobiles. As a daily commuter though I can't think of anything that comes close for the money for the performance on offer and still average 30 mpg over the miles I've done so far. Yes an m3 would be feel more special, handle better etc, but like for like they are much dearer to buy and double the running costs. Yet arguably you get 90% of a true M car for so much less. Talking of performance it's been difficult to compare to a vxt due to the smooth characteristics, sound proofing, power delivery etc however after driving vxt's over the past 8 years from an n/a to standard turbo and a stage 2 and 4 I'd place the 135 at the equivalent to a stage 3 turbo, pushing stage 4 once on the move! It really is that quick. The way the power is put down and the virtual non-existent lag is frightening, considering its not exactly light and only has a modest 315 bhp it just keeps pulling. It's also easier to drive quickly, your not thinking a small pot hole could send you off course like you would in the vx where the concentration levels need to be 100% at all times. Handling is very good....for this type of car, although steering feel is light in anything but sport mode, from there it really does sharpen up. Needless to say the vx has much more feel but that's stating the obvious in all fairness. To sum up i've found it a brilliant daily that can do the commute, shopping trips, weekends away, fit 4 adults in comfort and yet still have that fun factor. It's not a weekend car though and although a lovely place to be it's not so much of a car you would jump in and drive just for the sake of it and certainly no replacement for the vx.

#124 Jonto

Jonto

• Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:43 PM

I've to got say I've done about 50 miles in my VXT since the m135i arrived 8 months ago. For me it pretty much is a do everything daily driver. 8 speed auto, 40mpg on a run one minute, the next you can be pulling on Audi rs4's. It makes a great noise and it's great to drive. The auto windscreen wipers drive me nuts though. They let too much water onto the windscreen before they wipe. Anyone else notice this???

#125 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 12:11 AM

Mine was delivered over Christmas so not done 1000 miles yet. It's an everyday rocket!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#126 denno

denno

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:51 PM

So after just under 2.5 years ownership, this week I've replaced the m135i with something a bit left field, a new 330e M sport saloon. Really enjoyed the car and highly recommend it, however a growing family and tedious commute meant I was not really able to exploit the performance on offer. With the vx as my 2nd car it meant there was no real reason to drive the m135i on weekends when it could be enjoyed a bit more. For those who don't know, the 330e is a 2ltr petrol hybrid producing 250 bhp with the engine and electric motor combined. So still plenty fast enough but with the added benefit of decent mpg and more practical space. It has the 8 speed auto which should make the boring commute much more comfortable than my old manual car. Plus the benefit of flappy paddles for a bit more engagement when the conditions allow. I have gone for the m sport model so bigger wheels, more sporty styling, suspension etc. I miss the noise of the straight 6 but the overall package of this car suits my needs. Will post some pics when get chance If anyone is interested.

#127 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 17 June 2016 - 10:07 PM

Good feedback Denno thumbsup

what are the runnng costs like?

#128 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 10:35 PM

Funny that, I saw two 330e today. Would be interesting to know what MPG you get from them.

#129 denno

denno

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 07:07 AM

Good feedback Denno thumbsup   what are the runnng costs like?

Insurance was under £400, averaged 28mpg over 19k miles but like I said didn't drive it hard. I didn't even get through a set of pads or tyres! Service schedule is 20k or every two years, cost me around £280 for my first service and a couple of oil top ups inbetween. Had it from new so the costs would have increased over the next couple of years without warranty etc. I think if it was drove hard over that period it would be getting low 20's mpg, but sensibly driven and high 20's are achievable which is decent for a 3 ltr petrol engine.

#130 Tibbles Stryker

Tibbles Stryker

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 04:55 PM

Funny enough was looking at these today, not driven one yet though. 125d looks like a sensible upgrade too

#131 pete-r

pete-r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 10:52 PM

I get 22mpg from my auto but almost all my driving is around town. You can nudge low 40's on the motorway if trying.

#132 denno

denno

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:33 AM

Funny that, I saw two 330e today. Would be interesting to know what MPG you get from them.

This us what I managed today starting with 100% battery and letting the car do its thing, journey was 75% motorway to be fair.
Posted Image

#133 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:47 AM

Good MPG, I would have thought you could get 30 odd miles of pure battery from most plug in cars these days?

#134 denno

denno

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:11 AM

Think this can do around 25 miles on electric alone. The test I did earlier gives me enough battery charge to do similar mpg on the way home, rather than using all the electric and then relying on pure petrol. Just trying different settings at the moment to see which will suit best.

#135 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:24 AM

Will be interesting to see which one is best. All electric then all petrol or half and half for the whole day.

#136 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,181 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:18 PM

Considering one of these, so for previous owners, any points and what to look out for if I go view? http://www.autotrade...gcode=p&adPos=3

#137 pete-r

pete-r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:08 PM

In my view... Get the automatic, the pro nav, harman Kardon, heated seats and that's about all you really need. Anything else is nice to have. I added privacy glass but with things like adaptive suspension I didn't feel the need.

#138 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:02 PM

Considering one of these, so for previous owners, any points and what to look out for if I go view? http://www.autotrade...gcode=p&adPos=3

Whoa... was the previous owner colour blind :D

#139 pete-r

pete-r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:40 PM

Pink leather is an aquired taste...

#140 Tibbles Stryker

Tibbles Stryker

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:31 PM

I'd like to see a few points too, seems a lot have had abuse just trying to buy one that hasn't is key, bit like buying a vx I suppose

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users