Project Unknown

• Please log in to reply
306 replies to this topic

#201 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Motorbikes, well anything mechanical.
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 27 June 2015 - 10:11 AM

Well not much has happened recently. I got my self some CL RC5+ pads which seems to have made all the difference to the brakes (along with getting the ABS to kick in and repeated bleeding!!). I am currently in the process of designing my own exhaust so will see how this turns out. It isn't costing me anything other than time welding it together so if it turns out to sound crap I'll just scrap it. :lol: Other than that I've mainly just been driving it! Here's two photos from literally just getting back from a ride out.

#202 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 27 June 2015 - 10:12 AM

Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435399927.600121.jpg   117.48KB   31 downloads Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435399938.541171.jpg   110.88KB   30 downloads

#203 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 27 June 2015 - 10:12 AM

If photos are crap it's because they've been uploaded off my phone aswell as taking on my phone.

#204 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 27 June 2015 - 04:25 PM

Wonderful, keep putting petrol into it and driving :)

#205 TazN

TazN

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Airsoft, American Football, Cars

Posted 03 July 2015 - 07:41 PM

Glad to see you are out and enjoying it! Makes all that work worthwhile :)

#206 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:48 PM

Making your own exhaust huh? That's something I'd be keen to help with, am considering the same myself...

#207 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:59 PM

Making your own exhaust huh? That's something I'd be keen to help with, am considering the same myself...

That's the plan. I've been getting lessons it tig welding from the welder at work, so far I've managed to get to grips with welding stainless tube etc and now learning how to weld titanium. We had been discussing a possible full titanium system but the constant hot cold cycle will eventually cause the manifold to crack so looks like I'm back to stainless. I am tempted to make the back box titanium just for lightness (and I can get it for work :lol:) but I can also get stainless from work so just need to mock up a design and do some tinkering to make it work and try to get something that will produce a nice note but not be excessively loud. We'll have to meet up again and have a chat about it at some point?... Would be good to discuss it with someone who's been through a few exhausts :lol:

#208 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:01 PM

Glad to see you are out and enjoying it! Makes all that work worthwhile :)

Yh I bizarrely enough wasn't that bothered about driving it at first but as I drive it more I just want to keep driving it. I keep getting thumbs up around town and had a chav in an Impreza try to race me coming on to a dual carriage way, didn't give it too much just enough to show him up to his mate :lol: How's your car mate?

#209 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:36 PM

That's the plan. I've been getting lessons it tig welding from the welder at work, so far I've managed to get to grips with welding stainless tube etc and now learning how to weld titanium. We had been discussing a possible full titanium system but the constant hot cold cycle will eventually cause the manifold to crack so looks like I'm back to stainless. I am tempted to make the back box titanium just for lightness (and I can get it for work :lol:) but I can also get stainless from work so just need to mock up a design and do some tinkering to make it work and try to get something that will produce a nice note but not be excessively loud. We'll have to meet up again and have a chat about it at some point?... Would be good to discuss it with someone who's been through a few exhausts :lol:

I'm around this weekend if you fancy Al, I have some cardboard cutout of rear box shapes and some designs on paper. Could I pop down and visit you tomorrow perhaps ? Or if your car still needs geoing, you could come up here and we could set to it...

Edited by Nev, 03 July 2015 - 10:37 PM.

#210 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:48 AM

I'm around this weekend if you fancy Al, I have some cardboard cutout of rear box shapes and some designs on paper. Could I pop down and visit you tomorrow perhaps ? Or if your car still needs geoing, you could come up here and we could set to it...

I'm about this weekend aswell. I'd be more than happy to come up but my car is currently sitting without a steering wheel waiting for it to be delivered. If you do fancy a drive your more than welcome to come down...

#211 TazN

TazN

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Airsoft, American Football, Cars

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:27 AM

Yh I bizarrely enough wasn't that bothered about driving it at first but as I drive it more I just want to keep driving it. I keep getting thumbs up around town and had a chav in an Impreza try to race me coming on to a dual carriage way, didn't give it too much just enough to show him up to his mate :lol:

How's your car mate?

Know that feeling, at the start of the year I wasn't bothered about it. Now after a few nice days out in it I've started to enjoy it again but still needs stuff sorting which kind of kills the enjoyment knowing I have to get the enthusiasm to go out and fix stuff.

Other than that is vx is going well, still keep umming and arring about swapping it in for a tvr for a summer or 2 and see what else is out there.

#212 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:11 PM

So it's been a long time since updating this, so thought it was about time I did so.

After the MOT i never really drove the car much, attempted to go to Bournemouth wheels but halfway there my daily broke down at the side of a mega busy road and had to go back to check on my wife, turns out it was a blown injector so the car went back to the Citroen garage courtesy of the AA which meant i had to go back and pick my wife up from the garage.

After that i went to Sherborne classics at the castle as it it only 10 minutes down the road. Pic at the start of the day with Gorbachov and his dad and dad's friend with their MGA's.

Posted Image

This is where things took a turn for the worse. on the way back i noticed my steering wheel was off the left off centre. Then when turning at a junction it was off to the left. Needless to say this freaked me out, so when i got back to the house fired something up on here to see what the culprit might be. Turns out it was my fault and i'm a bloody idiot who can't put things back to gather correctly!!! Doh! 

Long story short when refitting the steering rack i forgot to refit the riser plates and re rivet them on as the rivets had come loose. This allowed the steering rack to move slightly left and right in the bolt holes! So i ordered myself a new set of risers plates from elise parts as mine where the standard bits before.

Unfortunately during my hunt around to find the problem to my steering predicament i came up with a crazy idea that it was my steering wheel jumping teeth on the column and whilst taking of the steering wheel i managed to split the top bearing! Basically i knackered the column!!! So new column (well second hand off Dan R) was purchased and delivered. 

Got these parts fitted and the steering was once again fitted. By now however a few months had passed and id convinced myself that i didn't like the orange that i had chosen. In the sun the paint looked amazing when it turned gold but when there wasn't any sun it just looked like a standard boring dull orange. A few weeks convincing my wife allowed to start along the path of another respray! The only catch was i had to paint her MG aswell.

As most will remember i made some cut outs in my front clam, which until it was finished i didn't notice but one was squint! So i sent a message to Matt (FLD) for a pair of front cut outs and got the cut out and ready for filling etc.

That basically takes me up to today...

I finally after two weeks of sanding my finger tips away and long nights over in the spray booth I've been allowed to use, i got my car home. :) YAY!

So the best bit some pics... A few before shots in my work ready for sanding back.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

After two day of sanding it was prepped and ready for primer. This time once primed i used a black guide coat and blocked it back smooth using 600 grit wet and dry and moved to 1000 grit. (something i didn't do last time)

Posted Image

Posted Image

After a day of blocking out the entire car. it was smooth and ready for painting. I decided on a more subtle darker colour, and having seen a few pics of Doctorfrags (aka Joes) sakhir orange decided on a red. I spent a day looking through page after page of folders at my local refinish paint store and made a choice. A metallic pepper red.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And it all pretty much back together.

Posted Image

As some of you may have noticed i now have a sprint raised boot lid swell. This was bought after considering doing my own style of coupe back but couldn't be bored so bought the sprint boot instead. I also worked over a few weeks with the aircraft welder i work by making my own 2.5" decat stainless exhaust. Got a lambda cheater (cheers smiley) and fitted it after a few scratches of the head and a post asking for more guidance.

So that's about it.

#213 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:15 PM

Lovely :) thumbsup

#214 stu8v

stu8v

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:17 PM

Looks Great, a credit to you.

#215 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:18 PM

Heres a few taster pics of my wife car swell.

before.

Posted Image

after

Posted Image

Posted Image

#216 AlfaAversion

AlfaAversion

• Pip
  • 186 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:21 PM

Crackin job , love the colour

#217 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,937 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:22 PM

Looks really smart thumbsup

what have you you used for your back box?

#218 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:23 PM

cheers mate. still need to put mesh into cutouts and will have to repaint all the mesh back black. and need to refit the ATS's as the na wheels look gash!! but pretty much ready for a summer of good hard driving :D hopefully with no scratches :S

#219 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:25 PM

Looks really smart thumbsup

what have you you used for your back box?

i used aircraft grade stainless steel. got it through work it what we use on helicopter exhausts so should be up to the job :lol: used accoustafil as a packing. its actually quite quiet when cruising but makes a lovely noise when you put your foot down. will be buying a 200 cell cat just for mot time closer to my mot as a bolt in job.

#220 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:25 PM

Crackin job , love the colour

i've just thought swell was it you that wanted my old front light lenses?...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users