Project Unknown

• Please log in to reply
306 replies to this topic

#141 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Motorbikes, well anything mechanical.
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:43 PM

Are you going to use protective film? I have used the self apply stuff on my front clam after replacement and the front has survived much better. I know you can respray again at any time but it would get tiresome.

Yeh I am planning to get the stuff off here to protect the paint. How easy was it to apply?

#142 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:55 PM

Use lots of water with only a few drops of fairy liquid in a trigger spray bottle and a credit card or better still a vinyl squeegee of eBay. It is easy compared to painting. You can peel and re-apply quite a few times without worry to get it in the correct position, Just keep adding water.

#143 TazN

TazN

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Airsoft, American Football, Cars

Posted 13 September 2014 - 04:55 PM

Where did you get your seals from? Deroure?

Well got the part numbers from there then gave Paul at Chris Neils Lotus a call. I have been jumping on the group buys that have been for various seals. Got the outer windows, rear, wind reduction and mirror seals. The front one I replaced when I first got it but have just realigned it and resealed.

#144 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:42 PM

Use lots of water with only a few drops of fairy liquid in a trigger spray bottle and a credit card or better still a vinyl squeegee of eBay. It is easy compared to painting. You can peel and re-apply quite a few times without worry to get it in the correct position, Just keep adding water.

Cool seems fairly straight forward i'll add that to the list of got (want :lol:) to buy.

Where did you get your seals from? Deroure?

Well got the part numbers from there then gave Paul at Chris Neils Lotus a call. I have been jumping on the group buys that have been for various seals. Got the outer windows, rear, wind reduction and mirror seals. The front one I replaced when I first got it but have just realigned it and resealed.

oright kl i'll have to give hime a call £448 delivered for all new seals from deroure seems a bit steep to me?... That was delivered including VAT so might not be too bad?.

The speed of this whole project has been rather quick up till now but i think i will be slowing down for the rest (what with xmas coming and all), so updates may have extended periods between them.

For all those interested i will be making a more permanent, better ventilated spray booth and offer a respray service and fibreglass repair work. Wont begin setting up until after xmas also though. will keep everyone updated on that if there is interest in it.

One little update i have ordered some of those vents that dab-of-oppo has and will be fitting them to my dash aswell as fitting speakers to the front. VSE has been removed and will be refitting the turbo back box until funds allow a miltek. And last but not least hopefully my compos will sell and will purchase some ATS DTC's

#145 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:49 PM

About time we had an update please !

#146 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:56 PM

My apologies Nev! TBH I've not really done much on the car, I have rebuilt the doors and refitted them although they need to be re aligned properly to get the door gaps even. I've got a stainless bolt kit to fit the clams and arch liners etc. I'm waiting for my ally mesh to arrive to fit to the clams. I still have to get round to ordering the new seals and have to source a new charge cooler, then I'll be making a start on the interior. I have sold my compos and purchased a set of ATS wheels so as car is currently sat in the garage on stands again, once I've got the wheels fitted I'll get it outside and some pics with the doors and boot etc fitted.

#147 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:21 PM

Ahh, good one, I was worried that you'd gone into winter hibernation mode ;)

#148 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:12 PM

:lol: no everything from the start has happened soo quickly im just pacing myself and going along at a steady plod now. Plan will be to get it ready for March/April for MOT and Geo, ready for (fingers crossed) a good summer.

#149 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:03 PM

Little update still not really done anything. The Ally mesh arrived which (after measuring the mesh on the vx) is different but not by too much. Just waiting for a day of half decent weather when im not busy to get the clams back off get the mesh fitted and stat looking to bolt the clams down properly so i can get the doors aligned properly.

Annoyingly the weather yesterday was lovely but my daily drive has started to have a few problems so went on a new car hunt. Was a good productive day though as have bought a new car :lol: should be picking it up from the garage on Friday. I will then be making the trip along the A303 towards London to collect my new ATS DTC wheels :D  Once i get them fitted i'll get it rolled outside and some pics of it with everything fitted.

#150 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:08 PM

So went along the road on Sunday to Struggs' house to pick up my new ATS DTC wheels and drop off the compos to him. Just a quick thank you again to Struggs for getting them while he was up Cheshire way. I got home and moved them straight into the garage and started to fit them to the car. Whilst fitting the rear right i noticed that the wheel was wobbling even though i had done the wheel nuts up tightly. Turns out i hadnt tightened the hub bolts up properly when fitting them and there was one missing :blush: so to be on the safe side i ordered a new set for all hubs and while i was doing that got some new hub carrier bolts which i'll get fitted when the car goes for a geo. Car will be going to BoT (since chatting to Struggs) to get all work done as want someone who knows what theyre doing to give the car a good look over and set it up properly.

Few pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

was bit worried when lowering the car down as i knew the back was way too low and was worried that it was going to catch the clam but it was all good. next job on rear is to get hold of an exhaust, got to decide between a larini and miltek im struggling to decide my young side wants the larini because its loud but i want to take it on track and unsure it would pass? hopefully someone will clarify, if it wont will just go with the miltek.

As you can see in last picture paint isn't 100% perfect but will get a machine polish before it goes back on the road. Also got my na airbox fitted. I have sat the roof on temporarily and still have to repaint it but i am planning to design a coupe back so will be fitting a scoop to it so still have some work to do on that. not 100% sure on the black either so thinking might paint it orange aswell.

Also as i started my new job in the fibreglass and composite workshop last week i will be looking into making my own splitter so hopefully that will look half decent. :lol:

Please also ignore the lights i have new lenses to go on the rear and i am on the list for new front lenses aswell so will look a million times better once theyre replaced.

Well thats it soo far. Jobs still to cut and fit ally mesh to clams, buy new sc cx rad (holding off on that for time being), buy new seal (all are getting replaced, holding off till last thing), repaint roof turbo ears and fit spoiler. Not a long list but im struggling to find the time to do anything at the minute.

#151 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:10 PM

Oh and look at the state of my nice new front discs :dry: been sat way too long!!

#152 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:25 PM

What size tyres are you running on the DTC's? Also if you're going to track, a Larini SC combo will make life tricky on a number of tracks. Even with a Miltek there's not a massive difference. I'd be talking to Jim at 2bular or get a custom setup.

#153 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:41 PM

tyre sizes are

Front 215/45

Rear 235/45

Its what came on the tyres ive ordered some 3mm spacers to help with any rubbing. done a test on full lock an theyre just clear but i imagine driving they may rub a bit.

I would love to go down the 2bular route but i dont want to fork out all that money on an exhaust right now but will definately be looking at getting one in the future. I'm not really sure about the custom route i may take a trip to my nearest garage and have a chat.

#154 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:58 PM

You're welcome chap, good to meet you. Good shout ref BoT, and remember my offer! chinky chinky  :)

#155 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:58 PM

Oh, and car's looking good too!! thumbsup

#156 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:01 PM

You're welcome chap, good to meet you. Good shout ref BoT, and remember my offer! chinky chinky  :)

Dont worry i wont forget thumbsup  I think the other Al is going to be bringing his Vx along to get sorted aswell

Oh, and car's looking good too!! thumbsup

cheers mate its getting there

Edited by Mopeytitan, 28 October 2014 - 10:01 PM.

#157 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:08 AM

Dont worry i wont forget thumbsup  I think the other Al is going to be bringing his Vx along to get sorted aswell

thumbsup  :drink:

#158 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:22 PM

So not much as happened still. Been concentrating on sorting out the garage. It has looked like a bomb went off recently.

I have started work on desgining my own splitter and coupe back will get some pictures of them as i progress through over the winter.

Also for all of you that have seen i have been contemplating doing an engine swap for a Z28NET. Fortunately i have managed to convince the wife to let me do it so the timescale for completion has moved right. Hopefully i will be able to get the conversion done by spring 2016 but we'll see. I will be starting my search for the right donor car to strip and get the engine from, then i'll be parting out all the other bits which will hopefully cover the majority of the cost of the car, giving me a virtually free engine to start with. So should be a good fun project and a steep learning curve. :unsure:

If anyone wants to give a hand with the conversion your more than welcome. Vxers are always welcome.

I will try to update this more often, but obviously not much point if i've not done anything :lol:

Cheers

Al

#159 Gorbachov

Gorbachov

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 05:58 PM

Stop being boring, put it back together and come for a drive, it already has an engine in it ......øŸ:)

Edited by Gorbachov, 05 December 2014 - 05:59 PM.

#160 Potatoes

Potatoes

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:18 PM

This is an awesome thread. I can't wait to see the finished product :)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users