Project Unknown

• Please log in to reply
306 replies to this topic

#161 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Motorbikes, well anything mechanical.
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:49 PM

Stop being boring, put it back together and come for a drive, it already has an engine in it ......øŸ :)

Fcuk you Al! :lol: secretly you know you want me to do it :lol:

#162 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:50 PM

This is an awesome thread. I can't wait to see the finished product :)

Ha cheers mate long way there yet :lol:

#163 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 15 December 2014 - 02:52 PM

Ok so the wife has made me make a slight change to my plan. I will still be swapping out the engine to the Z28 but I am going to get the car sorted then look into the engine next winter. Will be getting the new seals and getting everything bolted down and back together. Then all the paint will be flatted back and machine polished ready for a summer of stone chips and dirt :D

#164 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:09 PM

Did that conversation go along the lines off " do you really need it " " we could go on holiday with that money " Or "You could re decorate the house"

#165 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:11 PM

There may have been a few of those mentioned :lol:

#166 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:43 PM

pm 'the batman', he has some new roof seals for sale  thumbsup

#167 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• 13,727 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:00 PM

I'm going to break the news to the wife about my trip to joes

#168 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:12 PM

I'm going to break the news to the wife about my trip to joes

Good luck :lol:

#169 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:13 PM

pm 'the batman', he has some new roof seals for saleĀ  thumbsup

Cheers will do!

#170 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:46 AM

Ok... About time I did an update I think!! Was really lazy before Christmas and New Year! Pretty much lost most of my enthusiasm for the car. Had made the decision I would change the engine for a Z28NET but was convinced by Alex (Gorbachov) and my wife that I should put it on the road and have fun with it... And with the SW meet getting organised I thought better pull my finger out and get a move on!... So Alex came round and we made a start getting the remaining bits done. Started with the front clam and got the new mesh fitted and Splam grill refitted still need to for mesh to the louvres (will be doing that this weekend). Also got the mesh fitted to the rear clam. Repainted the mesh on the boot and bonnet so they're now finished. Have made a start on fitting the aero catches to the bonnet. I've got all the hoses connected just need to fit the exhaust and fill/ bleed coolant systems and she'll be ready for her first start in nearly a year!! I've also finished the dash vent mod and will be getting it covered along with redoing the rest of the interior and that will be going in. I sold my MMG 6 fin diffuser to Alex because I decided I wanted to make my own, I'm not 100% happy with it as the centre section was made too narrow to fit around the hump under the exhaust so will need to be spaced approx 10mm to fit nicely, so will be making the mk2 tomorrow. Also made some side skirt parts which will be getting powder coated along with the diffuser when they're done then they're ready to be fitted. Lights have been stripped, currently at work getting cleaned up and a slight crack in a rear unit needs fixed then the new lenses that I got a while back will get fitted. Will also get the turbo ears, spoiler and various other little bits painted and fitted this weekend and should be pretty close to being finished!! Will be getting all the new seals ordered in next months or so as unfortunately the Batman didn't have any of the ones I needed. I'm sure there's more that I've done but forgot :lol: On my phone at work so will get some pics uploaded when I get home tonight! Will also be putting a few things up for sale... E.g the diffuser and a set of harness holes. Al

#171 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:30 PM

Another quick update. Had to order a new starter button as I lost the back part. Got that last week so decided I have been putting of starting it for too long. Connected the battery and started filling the coolant and cc turned ignition on so pump would start pushing the coolant around the cc. Once it had been bled, told my wife to push the button and hope for the best. She pushed the button and it fired up instantly!! There's was no long period of it turning over or anything! I have a whole new love for my car now! Clams are all bolted down and seals will be getting here this month! Will be looking at giving the paint a full compound polish to get it completely flat. I will get my s**t organised and get all the photos Ives taken aswell as the video of it firing up and upload them.

#172 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:08 PM

Nice to hear progress, just get the bugger back on the road :)

#173 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:17 PM

Nice to hear progress, just get the bugger back on the road :)

Yh true but it's so hard to resist the temptation to just do things while I'm there! :lol:

#174 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:23 AM

Unfortunately, if you don't drive them we all end up loosing the love. This has happened to loads of us, so be wary not to bite off too much in 1 go. :)

#175 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:13 PM

Unfortunately, if you don't drive them we all end up loosing the love. This has happened to loads of us, so be wary not to bite off too much in 1 go. :)

Yh I got that way a bit recently but since getting it started I've sort of got my mojo back now. :lol: it will be back on the road ready for the SW meet :D

#176 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:50 AM

Well ive got a lot done recently...

got my dash finished and interior in. ive not really done anything to the interior yet as i will make a start on that later down the line. At the mintue i want to just drive the car. I copied Dab of Oppo on his dash vent design using the curved vents from a FTO.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also finally got around to getting my new Fez headlight lenses fitted. They look a million times better than the old damged tinted ones that were fitted before.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Unfortunately i havent got a picture of when my seals arrived as i had waited for them for nearly a month after ordering them so mjust cracked on a started fitting them. I ended up going to SJS sportscars and paid £460 ish all in to get them delivered to me. Only took soo long as they had to wait for Lotus to pull their finger out and send them over.

Posted Image

with that done i moved onto getting the final touched done started bleeding the breaks as i had the system fully drained it was a massive pain in the ass!!! I had put a new ABS pump in thinking it wasnt working. I started bleeding the breaks and couldnt get any fluid to the drivers rear wheel so undid the pipe for that corner on the pump no fluid was coming out theire either. :ffs: So i pulled that off and stripped it down turns out it was corroded! the pistons inside where seized and the motor itself wouldnt turn. So got me thinking was there actually anyhthing wrong with the original... Stripped that down, turns out NO!! nothing wrong with it at all tested the motor to make sure it works, it does.. so connected it up and started the bleeding process again. But couldnt get a good pedal no matter what i did it kept getting spngier. it was then i noticed a leak by the drivers rear wheel. I had only gone and forgotten to tighten up a hose id loosened when checking if i was getting fluid through! So i tightened it up and bled again! got a slightly better pedal but still have a little bit of air in the system. Which is where i am at the minute with the breaks i will be bleeding them again today to attempt to get all the remaining air out.

After contemplating sending the car out to get the suspension set up i had a chat with Nev about doing it myself... So thought what have i got to loose?... Got up a guide that google brought up and made an attempt while i was at it found all the settings for elises etc on Serloc so set my suspension up as the exige S2 is. Put the car back down on its wheels and was exactly how i wated it arch gaps where good. but the car obviously had to settle so i know have to raise it up some more as its a little too low again!!

Along side the brake bleeding problem i have been having an ABS issue where when i bought the car it had an ABS cut off switch fitted which even when turned off wouldnt turn off the ABS light on the Dash. (which is why i changed the pump). During my project i have changed all the hubs etc so i know it wasnt a wiring problem. I was getting power to all plugs. So i bought an opcom that can talk to the ABS ECU and it flagged up an issue with the front left wheel. This got me confused as i had replace the plug on that side aswell... Then it hit me. Had i wired the plug correctly it was a 50/50 guess when i did it as i was an idiot and didnt make a note of which way it should be wired. I cleared the fault on the opcom and it didnt come back and the ABS light disapeared. i have taken the car up and down the road and it hasnt come back , so im hopeful i have fixed it.

This basically takes me up to where i am now, i have a few little jobs to do but nothing major. I have the car booked in for its MOT tomorrow so everyone keep your fingers crossed.

Al

#177 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Nothing

Posted 16 April 2015 - 12:59 PM

Tell me more about the dash, who covered it and how much was it?

I've also quite liking the vents. Do they reflect less on the windscreen? I've never been a fan of the original vents, this seems like a sensible mod

#178 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:02 PM

Tell me more about the dash, who covered it and how much was it? I've also quite liking the vents. Do they reflect less on the windscreen? I've never been a fan of the original vents, this seems like a sensible mod

What you want to know? It's my original dash filed the original vent holes with expandable foam smooth it off. Marked out the vent holes and cut them out. Took a little bit of filling to get it right. The dash I covered myself with a grey alcantara material. I have found the vents work quite well, although saying that I've not had the window misted up and used them, so I can't comment on that. The dash looks a lot neater now though!

#179 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Nothing

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:14 PM

Oh, you covered it yourself. Where did you get the material from?

I have a slightly damaged dash that I'm planning on getting recovered in either leather or alcantara, I'm just fishing for ideas but I'm liking what you've done. It was hard to visualize the vents on dab-of-oppo's due to the whole dash being so crazy. It's much easier to appreciate them on your version.

#180 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:18 PM

This it's fairly straight forward to cover it. I had my wife helping as a second set of hands which helped. I just searched for it on EBay and got some off there. I don't think it's real Alcantara but it's quite good. I wasn't sure what it would look like but bit the bullet and I'm quite happy how it turned out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users