Plans Motorsport Sussex

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Sussex Paul

Sussex Paul

• Pip
  • 224 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:12 PM

Just a quick plug for the guys at Plans Motorsport in Sussex. I'm not affiliated with them in anyway. Used them for the first time to do a geo setup and replace my toe links and track rod ends. The guys were prompt, professional have a great garage area and were well priced. The car feels amazing after the geo and they have setup the gaz gold pro2 I fitted at the weekend. Very happy with the way the car feels. A real improvement from when I drove it after initial fitting of shocks. I've added a full milltek and will get it remapped soonish. However I feel the best mod was the geo after the shock install. They really know all things vx and lotus

#2 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:20 PM

Plans at Dunsfold (in Surrey.. :) )? Used to be considered the VX gurus but Graham pi$$ed a lot of customers off and a lot ended up at Back On Track in Guildford. I quite like Graham, and he does know his stuff but I would suggest you go and meet the BoT guys as well next time you need some work doing..

#3 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,121 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:57 PM

Have to agree with Struggs, as one of the pissed off ones. PMS are only 5 minutes away from me too. All went bad for me when John left. However, you had a good experience so better the devil you know!

#4 moospeed

moospeed

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:45 AM

How do you p*ss off a load of customers? Surely after pissing off two, maybe three, then you review your own approach and if you want to stay in the business? Different from a big main dealer where they don't seem to require repeat business and reputation doesn't seem to matter as much. From my own experience in recent years I can pick faults with four of the 'recommendations' from here and seloc. And only two where I struck lucky and had no complaints. Dread getting servicing and work done :(

#5 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,121 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:58 AM

My experience with them was from years ago so they may well have changed now. Their lead in times for work to be done was measured in months, that's just for a straight forward service. This was because they were going off with their customers as support at TD's and racing, so during the season, time was already booked up, they must have been payed well. What finally did it for me was the attitude of the management, I just don't like giving money to people I don't like. However I can't fault any of the work they did on my car.

eta they're in Surrey btw

Edited by Sutol, 10 July 2014 - 06:59 AM.

#6 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:20 AM

I met the guy a couple of times.  Once he held me up on a track day, simply would not yield to the faster car.  When I had a word with him later he gave me the 'I'm a racing driver....'.  What a cock.

#7 smithers

smithers

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:47 AM

Attitude has changed over the last couple of years. I had issues with them in the past, but then I've had issues with other Surrey based outfits.

All garages are there to make money, and i've been on the blunt end of that with all that I've tried. I'd use courtenays if they weren't in the middle of nowhere... 

#8 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:00 AM

Very few places are actually any good, thats the long and the short of it. And hence the reason I do as much work myself as possible :lol:

#9 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:18 AM

Slindysportstagechooning.com FTW

#10 smithers

smithers

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:58 AM

Very few places are actually any good, thats the long and the short of it. And hence the reason I do as much work myself as possible :lol:

If I had the time and it was a keeper then I'd do the same.

Unfortunately I don't have the time! (and may be lacking in a few skills...)

The other issue is when you come to sell a lot of people would be put off by home mechanic maintenance, no matter how good you are

#11 Steve.i.am

Steve.i.am

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • Interests:Bends

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

So I just wanted to call Plans to get an opinion/quote on changing a water pump on my NA. The phone numbers on the website don't seem to work? Good start.  

Edited by Steve.i.am, 14 July 2014 - 09:10 AM.

#12 Steve.i.am

Steve.i.am

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:23 AM

So I just wanted to call Plans to get an opinion/quote on changing a water pump on my NA. The phone numbers on the website don't seem to work? Good start.  

Ah - finger trouble on my part..

#13 Andy_VX

Andy_VX

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Boats, F1, Cycling, Home Cinema, Music.

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:58 PM

Thought I'd give my opinion on plans. I've recently had a lot of work carried out by them including a steering rack change, which they sourced from Titan as an exchange for my old one. Fit and set up my Nitron 46mm shocks including ride heights and a full geo, fitting a new Spitfire rear toe link kit that was actually the wrong type, due to me getting the upright type wrong. They went out of their way to come up with a solution and made it fit. I also had a full service carried out whilst it was there. I normally do most jobs myself but thought I'd let a professional set up the shocks as is spent so much I wanted it to be spot on and I was not disappointed! The car is an absolute pleasure to drive! The ride height is spot on and the geo is brilliant! It really is worth having it set up properly. As for the service I've received, it's been spot on throughout, I've been kept in the know at all times with excellent professional communication. They've gone out of their way to make sure I'm pleased with the work carried out and have no problems helping with travell arrangements. I would highly recommend them to any vx owner and I travel a considerable distance to let them work on my car. I also think their pricing is highly cooperative and reasonable especially their labour costs. I'm sure people will disagree but this is purely my opinion that I thought I'd share after reading some of the above comments.

Edited by Andy_VX, 18 July 2014 - 03:02 PM.

#14 Sussex Paul

Sussex Paul

• Pip
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:47 PM

They even cleaned my car after they fit suspension. I have it to them with a dusty dashboard and it was clean when I picked it up. I had the pleasure of driving a smart car for the first time as they have a few as courtesy cars. I wouldn't own one but they are kinda funky :)

#15 Steve.i.am

Steve.i.am

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:39 PM

Plans had my car recently to change the water pump. There was some initial uncertainty on my part as to the work involved. What I have to say though is that they ended up being very professional and did a good job in good time. They collected the car from another garage it was at previously for free. Graham kept me informed all the way with progress and expected costs. Can't fault them if I'm honest. Car was spotless when I collected it as well. Interior has never been so clean. Thumbs up.

#16 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:47 PM

Plans had my car for a month(!) to do a day or two's work. Every week they said they would do it, then 'something came up' and I would have to wait another week. To be fair I had the Smart as a courtesy car, but this wasn't the service I expected.

So I'll be going back to Back on Track when I need a garage again...

#17 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:15 AM

I have used Plans for years.  I used BoT once and I would never go back.  They over charged me for lamps that I didn't need for MOT and a couple of other bits.  This was Sven though....

I have never had an issue with Plans.  They are very accommodating and I can drop the car wherever is most convenient to me and they will deal with that.

Lift's to/from the station are always available and the guys who work down there are great if you want to hang around for the day.  Also, Dunsfold has loads of interesting stuff going on and a wander round is always worth it.  I actually can't fault them and they provide very detailed information about what is going on, any issues they have found etc etc.  Great garage thumbsup

#18 Alastair

Alastair

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:49 PM

If you need a garage in Sussex (East), not Surrey - I took my car to Simon at Classic Modern Sports www.classicmodernsports.co.uk Very well priced and he knows his cars, he had a few tweaked elise and Exiges in the garage when I was there. Nice bloke and really happy with his service.

#19 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:08 PM

Plans had my car for a month(!) to do a day or two's work. Every week they said they would do it, then 'something came up' and I would have to wait another week. To be fair I had the Smart as a courtesy car, but this wasn't the service I expected.

So I went to BoT for my MOT today. Plans had told me that the balljoint was an MOT fail, and the windscreen wiper. Car passed with no advisories today.  

#20 Andy_VX

Andy_VX

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Boats, F1, Cycling, Home Cinema, Music.

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:10 PM

So I went to BoT for my MOT today. Plans had told me that the balljoint was an MOT fail, and the windscreen wiper. Car passed with no advisories today.  

And you see that as a good thing...?

I once had some tracking done at BOT and they failed to diagnose play in the steering rack and a worn toe link that was making my car wonder to one side. So I'd spent all that money getting the tracking done for nothing! I also had the windows "adjusted" at BOT and nothing changed.... still a screw rolling around in the door and lots of water ingress from poorly adjusted windows

I took it to Plans and they diagnosed the problem within an hour and sorted everything, car has been mega ever since!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users