supercharger project diy

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#81 TIP

TIP

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:cars. sci-fi, rum, bass, sheds, making stuff, fixing other stuff (mainly plastic vauxhalls) and other geeky bloke stuff

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:25 PM

just got this reply from Peter 

[color=rgb(31,73,125);][font="calibri, sans-serif;"]In the beginning of the log when the engine is coming to life, the throttle valve is closed to a normal position for the coolant temperature. But the MAP value at this time is around 80kPa, this is not normal, it should drop to somewhere around 40kPa when cold, this causes the P1514 error to be set.[/color][/font]

[color=rgb(31,73,125);][font="calibri, sans-serif;"]It could be a faulty MAP sensor, but with the engine not running the MAP gives a pressure of 101kPa (barometric pressure) which is correct so I do not think the MAP sensor is the problem.[/color][/font]

[color=rgb(31,73,125);][font="calibri, sans-serif;"]It also could be a throttle body wiring problem, but this also looks normal. So that only leaves the vacuum leak. I am 99.9% sure there is a vacuum leak somewhere in the intake system, somewhere between the throttle body and the cylinder head.[/color][/font]

[color=rgb(31,73,125);][font="calibri, sans-serif;"]Below I have listed a few less obvious places to check:[/color][/font]

[color=rgb(31,73,125);][font="calibri, sans-serif;"]-          [/color][/font][color=rgb(31,73,125);][font="calibri, sans-serif;"]Brake booster or vacuum hose leaking, easy test will be to disconnect the hose and plug off the hole.[/color][/font]

[color=rgb(31,73,125);][font="calibri, sans-serif;"]-          [/color][/font][color=rgb(31,73,125);][font="calibri, sans-serif;"]Black vacuum pod which controls the supercharger bypass valve is leaking.[/color][/font]

[color=rgb(31,73,125);][font="calibri, sans-serif;"]-          [/color][/font][color=rgb(31,73,125);][font="calibri, sans-serif;"]Injector O-ring slipped off when installing the fuel rail.[/color][/font]

[color=rgb(31,73,125);][font="calibri, sans-serif;"]-          [/color][/font][color=rgb(31,73,125);][font="calibri, sans-serif;"]Throttle fly bend.[/color][/font]

[color=rgb(31,73,125);][font="calibri, sans-serif;"]Or maybe you can hear a strange hissing noise?[/color][/font]

#82 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:30 PM

99.9% is quite high

i was only 75%  :dry:

Edited by CHILL Gone DUTCH, 22 August 2014 - 08:34 PM.

#83 TIP

TIP

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:cars. sci-fi, rum, bass, sheds, making stuff, fixing other stuff (mainly plastic vauxhalls) and other geeky bloke stuff

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:36 PM

agreed 

but still cant think where its coming from

will continue the search tomorrow, I would have thought however that I big enough vacuum leak to cause the problem would have been relatively obvious either from a fecking great gap or a  hissing noise .

neither are evident.

IN other news 

I mended the hole in the rear clam today (forgot to take pics) but during the wet sanding of the primer some dirty water made its way into the left rear light cluster and has left a proper mess so got to split  the rear light now . :angry:

I am certainly developing a love /hate relationship over this week.

#84 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:49 PM

I've got a spare MAP sensor if you'd like to check.

Other obvious thing in the photo is your fuel vapour line isn't connected. That pulls a vacuum post TB so most be blanked if you're not connected to it.

#85 TIP

TIP

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:57 PM

I've got a spare MAP sensor if you'd like to check.

Other obvious thing in the photo is your fuel vapour line isn't connected. That pulls a vacuum post TB so most be blanked if you're not connected to it.

the fuel vapour line is now connected , but I am going to just block that off tomorrow (with the brake servo line ) to check for leaks .

if all else fails your spare Map sensor maybe worth a try (I will cover postage etc)

thank you all so much for the time and brain power that you have expended on my problem .

I have said it once but I will say it again

" I Love .org"

the ownership experience would not be anywhere as good without the help, dedication and selflessness of the VX collective

Imnotworthy  Imnotworthy  Imnotworthy  Imnotworthy  Imnotworthy  Imnotworthy  Imnotworthy  Imnotworthy   

#86 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:58 PM

Just to rule TB wiring out, does it function properly on ignition only?

#87 TIP

TIP

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:02 PM

yes works as expected before the engine starts . its only after start up that it begins to act up.

#88 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:05 PM

Extending my offer, I have a completely disassembled supercharged VX in Milton Keynes if you need to check parts.

#89 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:11 PM

Also, you can either disconnect the vacuum line or cable tie the bypass valve open if you want to test that.

#90 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:13 PM

finally (and aware I'm getting my ass kicked by a bottle of 16 % wine) a faulty aux. belt tensioner manifests itself as boost loss. This might not appear until above idle, but good to confirm what you've done there.

Edited by fezzasus, 22 August 2014 - 09:13 PM.

#91 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:19 PM

This is the best way to spend a Friday night

#92 TIP

TIP

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:26 PM

fez

all fantastic offers thank you. I will take you up on parts testing if it comes to that.

the belt tensioner is new so should be ok.

I too am now suffering from a alcohol induced relaxation of the stresses caused by the bloody VX  (rum and ginger beer :wub:

#93 TIP

TIP

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:27 AM

OK back at it. good news-autoglass has been and I have a new window. less good news - all issues discussed last night checked but still running like a bag of spanners. at a real loss now.

#94 TIP

TIP

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:38 AM

just to update this idea. on ignition only the TB opens and closes as expected but stops responding after 4-5 pedal presses?

#95 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:41 AM

I know it feels like you've moved on from this, but have you tried moving the problem injector to a different position?

#96 TIP

TIP

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:50 AM

just to update this idea. on ignition only the TB opens and closes as expected but stops responding after 4-5 pedal presses?
scratch that - just refitted TB and it's responding fine

#97 TIP

TIP

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:51 AM

I know it feels like you've moved on from this, but have you tried moving the problem injector to a different position?

have checked fuel pressure (about 4 bar) will try swapping injectors about

#98 TIP

TIP

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:52 PM

more and more convinced the TB is faulty. getting a new error code now p1523 throttle valve actuator not within target range anybody got a spare 68 mm TB I can borrow to test?

#99 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:48 PM

On the dutch forum we have also seen the 1523 when the imobiliser handshake was gone from the ecu. 

But your car continues to run after start; does not cut out after 3 sec right?

#100 TIP

TIP

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:37 PM

On the dutch forum we have also seen the 1523 when the imobiliser handshake was gone from the ecu.  But your car continues to run after start; does not cut out after 3 sec right?  

yeah continues to run just badly misfiring

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: supercharger, project, diy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users