Rear Mounted Intercooler Advice

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Bolt666

Bolt666

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:41 PM

May get the usual grief here about re Intercooler's vs Charge coolers but my main area of concern is if the following sounds reasonable and that it would work before wasting hard earned money on it!

I plan on creating a similar set up to that shown here on my turbo VX.....

Posted Image

As I have removed the boot and added an Exige S2 roof and rear section this approach seems to make sense... 

The plan would to be to create a similar style 'tunnel' to channel the air from the roof scoop but would also direct the air from the ear where the intercooler was previously situated to here.  I know little about intercoolers but assumed assume bigger is generally better so looking at a product like this (would need to check size + pipe diameter) link . 

The aim is to get the most out of the engine I can without having to go to the extent of upgrading engine internals so want an intercooler setup that will not restrict this......

Does the above sound like a reasonable approach?  Obviously being a turbo VX the pipe work will be some what different as I will need to route the downward firing air from the turbo to the intercooler at the rear..... a concern of mine would be if this would create excessive turbo lag or if with tuning this could be countered.....

Any advice would is appreciated, even if it is to say this is a non starter!

Thanks,

#2 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:48 PM

st verses proven cc route? Power levels wanted? Depends how much you can do yourself ref fabrication based on above answers go for it too big not always better and big pressure drops can have negative effect DG

#3 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:49 PM

Cost v proven route

#4 Bolt666

Bolt666

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:27 PM

Well I would be aiming for around the 270+ region... I can and would do all the fabrication myself... I know the easy alternative is an mmg intercooler that would make up to 270hp placed behind the ear but it seems more logical to utilise this additional space and surely I can pass over a much greater volume of air...so in my mind more potential cooling and thus power output?

#5 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:35 PM

The problem I see with this is getting rid of the hot engine bay temps You would have to open up clam around exhaust as well as behind the rad, but the your ducting to the rad would be blocking the flow of air from a coupe back

#6 Thealastair34

Thealastair34

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:58 PM

the gt3 type elise ive seen runs a mesh rear lamp area on the claim behind the cooler, works well looks good also, sort of like the P1 you can see into the engine bay 

#7 Bolt666

Bolt666

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:08 PM

The rear of mine is currently 75% mesh so hopefully it would flow out nicely....

Edited by Bolt666, 11 November 2014 - 08:08 PM.

#8 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 11 November 2014 - 09:34 PM

That picture of the IC setup might look all blingy and excellent, but to me that look on the face of it to be a rubbish cooling setup, all for 1 reason: look at the size of the hole the air come in from (on the top of the roof) and then see how the gold tube enlarges, trying to feed a radiator that must be at least 10 times larger x-sectional area. If air is entering the small frontal apperture of the pipework at 100 MPH say, then by the time it hits the radiator it will be moving at approx. 10 MPH... and that isn't going to be offer much cooling. I may be wrong, as I am surmising all this from a single pic, however don't just assume that blingy is best. Some of the fastest cars out there look like sh*t, but go like stink. Also, consider the heat soak potential into the golden tube, it has a massive surface area directly above the engine. Gold or not, it will still get hot and heat the inlet air. I use a modified Pro-Alloy CC setup and it is very good indeed for lots of power even on a hot day.

Edited by Nev, 11 November 2014 - 09:48 PM.

#9 speedster

speedster

Future of Speed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts
  • Interests:Music Engines Birds Whiskey and Cosmology

Posted 11 November 2014 - 09:40 PM

Be interesting to see if it alters high speed handling any. I reckon keep it as low as possible watch engine cooling and check transmission (gearbox) temperatures. Its gonna heat up when the car is at a standstill so might or might not effect tuning.

Edited by speedster, 11 November 2014 - 09:42 PM.

#10 turbotoaster

turbotoaster

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:51 PM

I remember chatting to the guys at ES about this as I was originally thinking of doing something similar but feeding an intercooler from 2 4" pipes ala 211 and venting it out of the rear, the concern was all the hot air in the engine bay would also want to exit though the same hole that i was venting the intercooler so it might get a bit hot.

That setup works as they were saying in a race they are seeing about 38c inlet temps and i know on a s2 exige running the 211 intercooler setup you will see 37c verses 70c for the OEM setup.

I was thinking about it because of the weight saving, reliability and more cooling to the engine radiator.

It might be something I come back to in the future.

For a vx220 it just depends whether your prepared to fit the back end open on your clam

#11 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,181 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:04 PM

Seems like a lot of effort for a ~270bhp engine... I guess you'll also not really benefit general engine bay temps if you end up with a large obstruction in the path of the upper vents..

#12 Stig_1911

Stig_1911

• Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:45 PM

I'm doing a rear mount intercooler on my Project, using 2 naca ducts in the turbo ears, and two aditional nacaducts on the rear clam... witch will be feed to "collctor"  to spread the air on intercooler , will be using 3" tubing. I have also opend up the rear of the clam to let the air out... 

#13 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Nothing

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:53 PM

Why do you want to do this?

A front mounted charge cooler is cheaper, simpler and more efficient.

Also, do you really want to add more weight to the rear of the car, especially with such a high centre of gravity.

#14 Stig_1911

Stig_1911

• Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:01 AM

A intercooler setup is 1/4 of the price of charge cooler setup......  and if You deduct weight of the boot..... it realy doesn't ad that much weight......

Edited by Stig_1911, 12 November 2014 - 12:02 AM.

#15 Bolt666

Bolt666

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:47 AM

As stig mentioned, much cheaper than charge cooler and must add overall much less weight.... plus I do enjoy fabrication...

#16 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:52 AM

Do it ;) sure you can make it work well Intake area is high pressure iirc so should give decent feed, also could give additional feeds if needed DG

#17 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,510 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 12 November 2014 - 09:13 AM

Keep this thread updated with your work in progress, will be good to see a new vx setup tried

#18 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 09:48 AM

A intercooler setup is 1/4 of the price of charge cooler setup......  and if You deduct weight of the boot..... it realy doesn't ad that much weight......

one could argue that it would be 3-4times the work of fitting a charge cooler... Your time isnt nessecaraily free despite what you may claim :lol:

good luck though and would be interesting to see how well it works in extended use.

#19 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,181 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 09:57 AM

Chargecooling is only really expensive if you buy an off-the-shelf kit from the likes of Pro-alloy. There's plenty ways to get inventive (and cheap) with a CC.

For instance, if space above the engine is not an issue, and I was looking for an economic solution, may be fit a Celica GT4 chargecooler core (designed for a 2L turbo and good for over 300bhp) which sits above the engine, significantly reducing the air path, a pump, and a custom radiator in the front..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users