Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:49 PM

seems to have a decent track list

#2 Samwise

Samwise

• PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:Track Days, Gaming, Building computers, Snowboarding! & Music

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:05 PM

Played it a bit yesterday and was quite pleased. Using a Steering wheel is a must in my opinion as is getting the tyres warm

Im pleased it has Snetterton so i can get some practice laps in and learn the track before the national in september :)

Edited by Samwise, 08 May 2015 - 01:06 PM.

#3 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,510 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:38 PM

Any of you guys play AC, would be good to hear your views on Pcars feel of the cars etc

#4 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 03:47 PM

i can tell you now that Pcars feels nothing like AC, the steering is just some centre spring effect and doesnt actually have any feel to it.. if you drive down a straight road you can plant your throttle and take your hands off the wheel and the car will remain stationary.. try doing that on AC. trying to feel what the car is doing is quite hard and not natural at all, sure after some hours you will tune into it and it will feel better but you wont be able to just jump from car to car and be able to just go and be right up there straight away like you (well maybe not you mark :P) can in AC.

if Pcars had laser scanned tracks i wouldnt mind playing it now and again because the detail you get isnt just down to corners going left and right but up, down, bumps, dips, cambers  bla bla.. you just dont get that from non laser scanning.. (take the back straight at magione for example)

dont get me wrong tho, the visuals and the features far out weigh what AC has to offer.. far far far out weigh.. 

i think i will be sticking to AC tho. i wont be hyped into an inferior game :P

#5 Samwise

Samwise

• PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:Track Days, Gaming, Building computers, Snowboarding! & Music

Posted 08 May 2015 - 04:58 PM

There's definitely bumps and camber at brands in Project Cars? Atleast thats what I experienced yesterday but that was the only track I played yesterday but Its not 100% accurate as the rumble strip on the left as surtees doesn't have the same dip in it as it does in real life

I've enjoyed Project Cars so far, definitely needs a steering wheel though as I tried it with a controller and there was very little control to be had between going round a corner smoothly and spinning out madly and I had it on pre-order as a gift so I wasn't about to change which game I wanted :)

#6 Jason

Jason

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Interests:Trackdays, Walking, Photography

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:29 AM

So I bought it last night, get it here for ~£26 instead of paying full price..

I play Assetto Corsa and thought I would go for something different with superior graphics, I am a bit underwhelmed if I'm honest.  The cars dont feel natural at all with a steering wheel, let me tell you I do enjoy none serious racing sims I loved the Forza Series and also still play Grid Autosport and Dirt3.

I only played a few hours so will try it again, failing to see where all the hype came from.  I will try driving in the rain as that sounds interesting for sure :)

#7 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,178 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:57 AM

Xbox One player here, haven't got time to chase PC specs any more to get x% better frame rate etc. Turn and play, job done. Snetterton 300 is ace having driven it myself.

#8 Zuber

Zuber

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • Interests:Finding a way to motivate myself to get fit. Anything Interesting.

Posted 09 May 2015 - 12:20 PM

Got a Fanatec steering wheel, then got a PS4 (oops). So got quite excited when I found out they were adding support...

What do you think would provide better 'training' for a Novice VX driver. [color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]Assetto Corsa [/color]or Project Cars ?

#9 Jason

Jason

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Interests:Trackdays, Walking, Photography

Posted 09 May 2015 - 12:39 PM

So just drove around Donnington national in the Caterham in weather set as Storm.  Now that is FUN, the steering feel is a lot better too maybe some tracks and cars just suck..

In terms of VX drivers best game, Assetto Corsa as thier are a load of Elise/Exiges in the game and they handle just like a VX..  Though Weather as noted in pCars is it selling point for me.. 

#10 Andy_VX

Andy_VX

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Boats, F1, Cycling, Home Cinema, Music.

Posted 09 May 2015 - 10:49 PM

Absolutely love it so far!! I started from the bottom in career mode and have worked my way up from karts. Just did an event in a RUF RGT-8 around Brands Hatch, took me about 5 attempts to do a quail lap but I thoroughly enjoyed it! I like how every car handles so differently, when I first took the RUF for a spin I thought it was junk but by the end of the race I loved it! 

I've never played AC so couldn't compare them but I think the handling is brilliant, love how the cars react to bumps, camber and curbs so realistically! Graphics are stunning too which is always a big selling point for me. 

My only gripe, the soundtrack sucks haha! 

Worth the wait IMO! 

#11 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 12:36 AM

You need to try assetto corsa andy... You really will think again after trying it.

#12 CocoPops

CocoPops

• 17,178 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:26 AM

There is interesting feedback at seloc, some rating it higher than AC, some less. Certainly well balanced.

#13 Rudy

Rudy

ZZZzzzzz.....

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:47 AM

Another Xbox one user here. Just off to purchase this today - looks pretty good and reviews seem decent.

#14 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:23 AM

i love how Pcars keep saying they got real world drivers to help with their handling.. kunos' headquarters is in the centre of the vallelunga race circuit which is visited by 100's of race drivers and many of them have given input to AC devs throughout the years.. also many of the devs are track drivers themselves.. 

the problem tho with having real drivers do the handling is that they dont always know what it should feel like with the lack of geforces etc.. they know what a car should or shouldnt do or what happens to them when driving the cars (understeer/oversteer etc etc). the probably why many cars feel different. some are nice to drive, and some are sh*t and i think that is down to the drivers not being able to put across their feeling as good as other ones.

plus, the underpinnings of the simulation is far inferior than AC, RF2 (and even GT5/6) AC uses one physics algorithm and enters all the cars data into it.. then the cars drive how they drive, a small amount of little tweaks are sometimes made (more for feel than anything else) but Pcars (and iracing) have individual car physics which is another reason why cars handle crap and some good. 

on the surface Pcars is very attractive, rain, night, lights, pits, good graphics (even tho i dont think AC's are far behind) sounds are good etc but the actual driving part of it.. the physics, the bit that matters the most is sub par (imo) but thats from a sim enthusiast, i like things as realistic as possible, as hard as possible as i get more enjoyment from being good at it.. and not to mention the tracks are not laser scanned in Pcars so thats a massive downer for anyone really looking to transfer their findings across to real life.

#15 CocoPops

CocoPops

• 17,178 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 12:40 PM

We get it Chris, you are an AC God and there is no better. However, horses for courses, I can't run AC in an Xbox, I have kids and so therefore want a system I can quickly turn on and play. This until AC comes to a console, I'll take your word for it.

#16 Andy_VX

Andy_VX

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Boats, F1, Cycling, Home Cinema, Music.

Posted 10 May 2015 - 02:49 PM

:yeahthat:  I only use Mac's so AC is out of the question unfortunately! 

#17 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:19 PM

We get it Chris, you are an AC God and there is no better. However, horses for courses, I can't run AC in an Xbox, I have kids and so therefore want a system I can quickly turn on and play. This until AC comes to a console, I'll take your word for it.

errr... ok .... 

:dry:

#18 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:09 PM

TBF I'm sure he is only saying what many others think. You do tend to bleat on about it whenever a related subject is raised. :) As for project cars It does look good but I'm in no rush to pay full price for it simply because after a day or two it will probably go the way of my other PS4 games and just sit unused for months on end.

#19 stu8v

stu8v

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:26 PM

Had a go at my mates on his ps4. Plays real well but you definitely need seat and pedals which bumps up the price no end...

#20 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,510 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:43 PM

Bought this tonight, played 30min before giving up with it   Its 100% console generation game, no feel to the cars or tracks   Reminds me of Grid Autosport    Im deffo sticking with AC   Have fun ... just found this review of Pcars which I think is a very write up about it.. pcars is a game that is more like forza than asetto corsa. Not always a bad thing though. I would not go ahead and call it a sim i dont think, but im not sure if i would call it an arcade game either. if this was 6 years ago with this sort of handling then i would call it a sim. the physics dont seem quite right for a car and a bit more of a scripted thing vs actually calculating grip. Although this does seem to work relatively well for the cars and tracks i have used. the FFB settings will have to be tweaked with as out of the box they dont really give much feel, Although that is true for every racing game on the pc with ffb support. Thats why you have the sliders.. Only tried a couple of cars and a go kart so far, but i am not convinced it is calculating grip from simulated physics vs scripting something like ( if power >75 in % corner then..) performance seems pretty good. my system is not state of the art, i have a HD 7870 8GB of ram and my i5 2500k right now is at stock clocks. and with most things on medium/high 1080p i average about 75fps (i would imagine) i get over 80 but less than 90 for pretty much all of it and some lower dips that never go below 60fps. Also it does not seem to have mugello as a track.. "this is an abomination" so i would say.. I think ac is a better simulator I think pcars is more polished I dont think PCars is actually simulating via physics calculations, but scripting the physics is being done pretty well. PCars does look nice, although when you are hammering down imola with zondas all around you i dont think you can see the diffference between it and AC, it also seems relatively well optimized for pc. although i do think there will be some tweaks along the way. I would say the game is on par with forza/gt. but not comparable with AC if you are comparing just the driving aspects. if you take in to consideration the single player career mode.. PCars is probably better than AC, and not as good as forza "obviously depends on your own personal preferences" SO I guess I would recommend the game, "even without mugello in the track selection" but i will play AC the most. and probably would add some caution to my recommendation, some thing like: "I recommend it. but its not a serious racer. its just a fun MP game" So for the ~£25 i paid think it is worth it. i would carry on with more thoughts and opinions but this is not a review lol.. I cant review a game i have only played for a while. EDIT.. Played a bit more and did some mp. I liked the method of inviting friends who are in pcars As it easier than the asetto corsa method "which has a lot to do to fix it) but the more you drive the less of a sim it is. And it really is forza.. if this game had been released before asetto corsa im sure i would have been happy with it. AC has just set the bar so high now that PCars simply could not reach it. The graphics as mentioned really arent that noticable when you are concentrating. the FFB really gives you no warning of impending traction loss.. the cars dont seem to handle at all how they should do.. They do handle differently to each other, but that does not mean that they handle like the car they portray. Some give way to easy at the rear. some just seem to grip and grip.. And combined with the limited feed back from the wheel this just makes for a confusing racing expirience.. If you put the aids on and drive like you would drive you will smash your opponents. so that is just a no go. If you have all the aids turned off then you just cant feel when you lose traction. and this is something assetto corsa does very well. Really its just a fun game for casuall racers. if you are a serious racing sim fan this is not for you. I also forgot to mention before the edit.. i would not pay more than £25 for it.. and if i was giving it a score.. it would be 67%-73% (depending on my mood) Playable, fun with friends, Not a serious racer. On par with forza or Grand turismo. Not even in the same league as AC or Iracing.. Career mode is not really anything good at all its just tacked on, But the same is true for assetto corsa. I would say that this PC Gamer reviewer is possibly paid to give such a high score. and claim it is a sim. I do think asetto corsa is a much better simulation of driving. so if you want a sim just get that. PCars is ok for casuall racing. but i dont think it will be fondly remembered by the racing simulation croud. casual and console gamers... I think this will be a hit. but its not better than forza or Grand turismo.. All it really is is a forza/GT game that is available on pc. so i dont see why console owners would buy it either. And if you mostly play single player on your console. just buy one of the other 2 depending on your console. For those who claim its a great sim. please stop the hype now.. the cat is out of the bag, and the game just is not what it was built up to be. 

Edited by mbes2, 11 May 2015 - 12:08 AM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users