#1 MartinS

MartinS

I only bought it for one summer. 14 years ago and now its gone&#

• 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Track days
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:39 AM

When the Saab engine goes in I am hoping for around 290-300 bhp. My standard clutch has on an SC car done 71000 miles so I will be replacing that when the new engine goes in.

I dont want some horrible stiff on/off affair.

Will a standard Vauxhall clutch cope?

Courtenays do an uprated clutch (up to 270 bhp) and a fast road clutch ( 350 -375) I want something in between! 

Any other options, suggestions and links welcome.

Martin S

#2 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:43 AM

I am on the updated clutch that CMS put on mine years ago when it was 240bhp, so I assume it's the updated clutch they do working ok for me feels no different than oem unless they have change the one they install

#3 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:57 AM

Had the Courtenay's uprated clutch (might be a standard VXT clutch plate) on mine for the last 6 years. No problem handling the power and feels pretty much the same as the standard clutch did from memory.

#4 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,611 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:12 AM

what did Mike have on his. Mines been on now since 2007 , its a Helix . IIRC mostly our clutches are same, vxt or NA.

#5 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:30 AM

I'm fitting a standard Z22SE one. Didn't have any problems with clutch wear before (89k), so why do anything differently?

#6 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:15 AM

I have a turbo Paddle clutch on mine

#7 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:24 AM

Uprated (to what i dont know) courtenay clutch and its been fine with 300 and above for years... And it feels normal Gets my vote

#8 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:43 PM

How did I miss that you are going SAAB ?

You are joining the 300bhp-and-unreliable gang ??  :(

#9 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:52 PM

Mines been perfect at 300bhp for 5 years. Only let me down the once (though it was a biggie) at 260bhp. Had more grief (TMS mapping) as an NA than SC. :wacko:

#10 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:56 PM

Assuming 300 BHP is made at 7500 RPM, the torque required would be around 220 ft/lb at the flywheel. I would imagine that wont tax a clutch much, maybe the OEM would be fine ?

Edited by Nev, 10 June 2015 - 12:56 PM.

#11 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• 13,727 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:15 PM

How did I miss that you are going SAAB ? You are joining the 300bhp-and-unreliable gang ??  :(

Your getting mixed up with 300 boho turbos sC seem to be very reliable

#12 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,181 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:16 PM

A ~300bhp @ 7k rpm SC car is (dependant on a number of variables) producing about 240-250lb/ft I would imagine going by previous results I've seen.

Would imagine there's a few OEM-ish clutch available. I wouldn't be surprised if a standard clutch would be ok for this torque - its prob the same clutch as 1.5Te Diesel Vectra whose engine pumps out 230lb/ft (in one large lump)..

#13 MAXR

MAXR

I’m jealous of Batman’s driving skills

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Interests:Tennis, Golf, classic Ferrari's

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:21 PM

My last clutch which Joe fitted lasted 1 hour on track, I'm not sure which one it was, but I believe it was a Courtenay uprated clutch. Anyway, it's now with Matt B & I have no idea what he's going to replace it with. My previous Clutch was a Courtenay race/track clutch which lasted years & took plenty of abuse.

#14 MartinS

MartinS

• 5,173 posts
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 10 June 2015 - 02:40 PM

Have not been in any rush to go Saab as have loved the reliability of my car. 71000 miles, standard engine and clutch, over 100 track days but, as of today it was confirmed my engine is on its way out. Still driving fantastically but, a rather large chunk of the piston top has disappeared!!

Plan to leave the new engine as standard as possible as want the same level of reliability but it seems I may still end up with 280-300 bhp.

Martin S

#15 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:39 PM

Mines been perfect at 300bhp for 5 years. Only let me down the once (though it was a biggie) at 260bhp. Had more grief (TMS mapping) as an NA than SC. :wacko:

Yes but your car hasn't turned a wheel under its own power for 2 of those years Matt  :P

#16 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Music, God, Family. Holidays.

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:59 PM

Another vote for Courtenay uprated here. Several years and lots of track work at 295bhp/305 torque. Feels standard too.

This is what they say about it:

This clutch features an uprated cover with far greater clamping pressure and an uprated organic disc which will withstand big increases in power and torque, yet will still retain good road manners often not associated with an uprated clutch.

Gonna have it done in time for Spa in July Martin?

Edited by P11 COV, 10 June 2015 - 05:01 PM.

#17 scw02102

scw02102

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:33 PM

Personally I would go for the more expensive cs clutch as its a job you only want to do once and not revisit in a hurry The 270 bhp version cs sell is probably up for the job as the sc make less toque than the turbo stage 2 but with all the tracks u do and new engine gonna be used hard I would just get the expensive one £430 as it's designed for a hard life in the first place Also I understand it feels oem not like the paddle stuff I'm changing to the expensive one next as I can't be bothered to pay the big labour bill a few yrs down the line again

#18 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:00 AM

Gonna have it done in time for Spa in July Martin?

Tricky one. Its running fine at the minute but sods law it will break permanently when you're in Belgium and that will also mess up Zandvoort vs dropping the new engine in now and having inevitable teething problems. At least with 6 weeks to go you have got time to get it in and get some road reliability under its belt.

Is really a problem best discovered just after the last trackday of the year!

#19 MartinS

MartinS

• 5,173 posts
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:52 AM

I had hoped my engine would last the year then stick in the saab but things haven't worked out that way. Already missing a great trackday tomorrow which is gutting. Hopefully it can go in and I can get a few weeks of mileage on and get through any problems. Main problem for me is that I don't live anywhere near anyone who knows anything about vx's etc, so any problems are a pain.

I love my car the way it is so all of this is most likely just going to make it not as good as it is, I really don't want some hideous on off clutch like I experienced in a high power vx the other week so will most likely go with the fast road one not the full on serious one.

In an ideal world my car would just get fixed as it is but not sure that's a financially sound idea.

Martin S

#20 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,611 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 12 June 2015 - 08:04 AM

I have a new engine crane you are welcome to borrow, worst case.

Does the clutch actually need changing?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suggestions welcome

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users