• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#41 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:24 AM

I am thinking of replacing all 16 wishbone bushes, 8 wishbone ball joints, track rod ends and anti-roll bar drop links when the weather is warmer.   I have heard the wishbone bush bolts can weld themselves to the bush making it very difficult to remove the wishbone. Does anyone know a way round this? Maybe a special tool to get the stuck bolt out the bush?

Has anyone else had problems removing the wishbone bolts?

#42 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:27 AM

you will need to cut the heads off the bolts, not very easy at all :(

#43 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:29 AM

Thanks, best tool for the job?

#44 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:33 AM

plenty of hacksaw blades - to use by hand or a reciprocating saw with plenty of blades and a dremel

Plus anything else you can think of, just avoid cutting the subframe/chassis or wishbones :P

#45 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:01 PM

plenty of hacksaw blades - to use by hand or a reciprocating saw with plenty of blades and a dremel

Plus anything else you can think of, just avoid cutting the subframe/chassis or wishbones :P

The reciprocating saw sound good. Hopefully they are not stuck I'm just preparing for the worst. Definitely don't want to damage the chassis or it would be a write off  :huh:

#46 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:08 PM

How about a blow torch? Would that help or melt the chassis?

#47 Raptor

Raptor

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:36 PM

How about a blow torch? Would that help or melt the chassis?

I think the problem is that the bolt gets seized internally within the 'bush' so I'd have thought you wouldn't have room to heat up the inner area.

#48 Raptor

Raptor

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:45 PM

I should havere ad his email better... the discount will be applied in a few days..... "I am about to upload a 5% across the board discount for the period 23/12/15 to 31/12/15 There will also be further discounts on some items, including an extra 5% on suspension kits, so 10% in total, any good?? I also have the Spitfire toe links for the VX in stock as well as uprated fuel pumps (complete) again from Spitfire The Discount period will be activated using the code XMAS2015 and will show in the total as additional doiscount in customers baskets"

Can anyone get the XMAS2015 code to work when buying the refresh kit?  Doesn't seem to work when I enter it into the Coupon box.

#49 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:27 PM

I would not bother and simply buy a complete suspension replacement set from f.i. Elise shop (35 for every bolt, nut and washer you might need) And while your're there; buy the higher tensile strength replacement upright bolts too...

I prefer socket head cap screws, that's all. Those sizes can get in a nice 12.9 black oxide finish, price about the same I'm guessing. Houses for courses :)

#50 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:36 PM

I prefer zinc 8.8 bolts for the simple suspension (bush) stuff that corrodes and the special 10.6 bolts for uprights. (These bend before they snap)

#51 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:45 PM

I aways have a big can of pure lanolin spray in the shed. Smells like sheep for a while , but fasteners enjoy it's homeopathic workings

#52 Baron Von Scubadaddy

Baron Von Scubadaddy

STAGE 3.333333333333333333333333333333

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,643 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Cars,..... ! spending time asking questions about why my car won't work

Posted 29 December 2015 - 04:19 PM

Had a bolt seize when we did mine its a propa doodah I tell v

lots of hacksaw blades......

#53 Chris P Duck

Chris P Duck

I can change this?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:02 PM

I should havere ad his email better... the discount will be applied in a few days..... "I am about to upload a 5% across the board discount for the period 23/12/15 to 31/12/15 There will also be further discounts on some items, including an extra 5% on suspension kits, so 10% in total, any good?? I also have the Spitfire toe links for the VX in stock as well as uprated fuel pumps (complete) again from Spitfire The Discount period will be activated using the code XMAS2015 and will show in the total as additional doiscount in customers baskets"

Can anyone get the XMAS2015 code to work when buying the refresh kit?  Doesn't seem to work when I enter it into the Coupon box.
Yup, I bought it a few days ago, came out at £399 in the end I think.

#54 Alastair

Alastair

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:46 PM

you have to register first, it then works 

#55 Alastair

Alastair

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:47 PM

did you go SuperPro, or OEM bushes?

#56 Chris P Duck

Chris P Duck

I can change this?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:55 PM

did you go SuperPro, or OEM bushes?
OEM, purely from a maintenance point of view. I know maintenance isn't awful but I love the idea of fit and forget. It's managed 13 years on the originals. I figure change them once and I'm good for another 13. If it's still alive by then wish bones will be the least of my concerns.

#57 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:58 PM

You will be worried about glue in 13 years :P

#58 Chris P Duck

Chris P Duck

I can change this?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:20 PM

You will be worried about glue in 13 years :P

It's ok, I've rubbed toothpaste in it :P

#59 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:37 PM

Haha, fresh!

#60 Raptor

Raptor

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:10 PM

you have to register first, it then works 
Thanks i sussed it in the end by reading their site properly.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users