• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Tibbles Stryker

Tibbles Stryker

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:38 PM

Anyone had one, looking at a 2009 model to run as a work horse, great fun to drive, timing chain tensioners are temperamental but low on tax and relatively good on fuel for a 208bhp car. Looking for some real world knowledge, viewed 2 now, one was OK the other is quite nice?

#2 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:45 PM

2006-2009 models suffer from the following issues;

timing chains - they are awful and mine was on it's third kit at 22k = £300 + fitting

ABS ecu - make sure it's been replaced = £450 + fitting

High Pressure Fuel Pump - make sure it's been replaced = £1k + fitting

Head de-coke - required at 50-60k = £350 labour

Other than that a fun car to drive :D

Edited by vocky, 12 September 2016 - 07:46 PM.

#3 Tibbles Stryker

Tibbles Stryker

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:50 PM

2006-2009 models suffer from the following issues;   timing chains - they are awful and mine was on it's third kit at 22k = £300 + fitting ABS ecu - make sure it's been replaced = £450 + fitting High Pressure Fuel Pump - make sure it's been replaced = £1k + fitting Head de-coke - required at 50-60k = £350 labour   Other than that a fun car to drive :D

Ha ha that's a good list dude, would you still recommend one lol?

#4 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:56 PM

The R56 are great fun, but the chains / abs ecu and hpfp will all fail eventually, so if they have been done enjoy it, if not budget for them in the future.

If the car feels slow then the hpfp is failing.

Edited by vocky, 12 September 2016 - 07:56 PM.

#5 Dan r

Dan r

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:06 AM

We have an r53 JCW which is great, pretty thirsty but worth it I reckon, not sure if the later tc cars are any better on fuel? Only thing I've had to do since owning it is change the rear bushes on the front lower suspension arms which is a bit of a pig and a common issue, again, not sure if the later ones have this issue? My Mrs loves it and makes for a fun run around which is surprisingly comfortable and capable on big roads. The boot is very small but seats go down real easy and we have just put the parcel shelf in the shed to make this easier. Overall really pleased with it

#6 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:37 AM

No the JCW but I know three people who have had Minis (2 petrol one diesel) and they have all had gearbox failures at £1500 to rectify.

Maybe they were all unlucky and the JCW had a different box but just thought I'd share others experiences as it might be worth a bit of research.

#7 2GOOD

2GOOD

Old Timer zzz...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts
  • Interests:My little red car of course!
    & the matt black vee twin thingy...

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:33 AM

There was a facelift on the r56 at some point in 2010 & supposedly the later car is a step on (less issues). Believe it or not the easiest way to tell the difference on an S or JCW is that the later version has two knobs on the stereo compared with the single knob on the older version. Timing chain issues supposed to be cured by the time of the facelift versions. Not come across a gearbox issue on an r56 yet (all six speed I think), but lots on the original r50.

Edited by 2GOOD, 13 September 2016 - 07:37 AM.

#8 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:14 AM

Good info thanks Steve. The wife would love a mini but the potential issues have made me put a halt on it so far...perhaps there is still hope for her!

#9 Tibbles Stryker

Tibbles Stryker

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:17 PM

Thanks guys, I also like the idea of the supercharged r53 but mid twenties on fuel and 295 annual tax tend to put me off. Yes the turbo cars sit at 185 tax and do 38mpg which is great. Just as vocky says fuel pump and timing chains could be a real menace to ownership.

#10 Tibbles Stryker

Tibbles Stryker

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:18 PM

Gearboxes are OK on the r56 I believe

#11 Tibbles Stryker

Tibbles Stryker

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:19 PM

The newer n18 engine wasn't fitted to jcw until 2012 which is a shame.

#12 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 02:57 PM

A bit cheeky but can you keep me up to date with your research so I know which model to look for and which to avoid?

#13 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 04:25 PM

earlier cars suffered from the gearbox and steering rack issues.

The R56 models should have had a new ABS ecu by now, mine failed at 3.5 years old and the replacement is supposed to be okay.

Timing chains are the same as a z22se - cold start rattle = time for a new kit. The latest kit is supposed to be okay.

The high pressure fuel pumps last upto ten years, but have been known to fail at two years old. Not sure if the latest pumps are any better.

Head de-coke - this can be fixed with an oil catch tank, to clean they use walnut shell blasting and simply remove the inlet manifold https://www.youtube....h?v=R-HlWELr4Zk

#14 mark moyz

mark moyz

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Interests:Redundancy demotions pay cuts 0 hours contracts employment shaftings

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:12 PM

I have the cooper s r56 bought for 5k earlier this year as my daily but within 1.5k miles the top tensioner broke and fluffed the timing. Im told of some blanking caps that help stop the coking of the valves. High Oil consumption has been reported by many and you could use as much as 1 ltr for 1k miles. The sport button is pointless too. Great to drive but will cost you in repares. Dont bother

#15 mark moyz

mark moyz

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Interests:Redundancy demotions pay cuts 0 hours contracts employment shaftings

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:29 PM

Oh a spirited drive returns me about 22mpg drive like miss daisy and get 36

#16 Tibbles Stryker

Tibbles Stryker

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:34 PM

On my old mini cooper s clubman, 2008 my total average was around 42mpg. This was on my commute to work over the edge of the peaks and I wasn't steady in it to say the least, could be an issue with yours mark?

#17 mark moyz

mark moyz

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:47 PM

Probably ! But i do have a heavy foot. 1 front set of Hankooks done in 5k. I am looking to move it on as i have no confidence in the chain and tensioner set up.

#18 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:54 PM

You have to check the oil level regularly with these engines and change the oil every 5k. Most chain issues will be due to oil starvation, early engines have more issues. I have a DS3 with the same engine and same issues.

#19 Tibbles Stryker

Tibbles Stryker

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:28 AM

Great when on song tho, yep I think a lot of issues are around the long service intervals and owners not checking the oil frequently. I think to change just the tensioner to the newer one is relatively easy and quite a cheap job

#20 mark moyz

mark moyz

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:21 AM

Mine had the updated tensioner(more pressure on start up) but the failure for me was the plastic guide tensioner that sits on the top of the chain ! Part of the guide tensioner broke off and works its way down to the sprocket at the bottom. It got trapped and chewed up there and the chain skipped a tooth. The plastic then works its way in to the sump. There are videos on youtube showing this common fault. A lot of swearing and several hours later we swapped the chain and tensioners and re possitioned the cams. Pretty sure this would have cost a fortune at BMW/MINI

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users