146 replies to this topic

#21 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 23 September 2016 - 09:36 PM

Sagaris is out of budget as most are heading north of 60k for low mileage examples. I'll have a think.... :D

#22 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,034 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:46 AM

Dax Tojiero

#23 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 07:10 AM

Whatever you fancy yourself, doesn't matter what others think😜

Edited by PaulCP, 24 September 2016 - 07:10 AM.

#24 Raptor

Raptor

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 07:14 AM

Cayman will come in well under budget. Look for decent spec don't get drawn into buying a Cayman R they are rubbish but a decent S with PASM and as many options as you can get is a fantastic car. Evoras are OK but they share the issue of the v6 ie long gearing. V6 I would have loved one but they are just a bit "meh". Shame. There are one or two very high end S2 exiges for sale at the moment a 260 CUP and a gp special edition both awesome variants of the breed. R8 is on my hit list but got funds tied up in an aircooled 911 project currently. I'm told they are a bit "meh" as well though. Unfortunately as I always say when you have owned a good vx or Elise you are buggered for anything after. You can spend a lot of money on stuff that is bigger and makes lots of noise but us just not as good to drive. With 50k I think it would need to have a porsche badge on the nose for me. They have nailed that sector.

A Cayman R is rubbish?? Really? The one i drove was very capable

Edited by Raptor, 24 September 2016 - 07:15 AM.

#25 Tfp

Tfp

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 07:36 AM

Whatever you fancy yourself, doesn't matter what others think😜

Very true, but I do value opinions of people on this particular forum, it's the only one I've hung around on long after selling the car (VX).

Having discussed it in the pub last night over a few beers I'm going to visit Audi to see what the new TTRS is all about, but I'm leaning heavily towards a late Cayman S.

So many of them are PDK (automatic) is that because they don't sell as quick as the manuals?

The TTRS is auto only by the looks of it. I know the TT won't hold it's money like the Porsche, but the brand new car feeling does appeal.

#26 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:17 AM

PDK is more popular outside of the world of Internet forums. Manual porsche shifters are a bit pants anyway so PDK is the one to go for. Raptor I owned a Cayman R for as little time as possible. Went up fot sale straight away and went back to the Cayman S. R is too stiff and has stupid suspension and geo settings. Worth a fortune but dull. The PASM system is vastly superior to the Rs ultimately cheap fixed Bilstiens.

Edited by jonnyboy, 24 September 2016 - 08:17 AM.

#27 alkvalseth

alkvalseth

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 10:53 AM

Corvette

#28 Ali87

Ali87

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 11:50 AM

http://www.pistonhea...---2012/6113244

#29 Ali87

Ali87

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 11:53 AM

http://www.pistonhea...package/5971567 So many options! Wish I had the same conundrum, maybe lotto will come good tonight! Good luck and happy car shopping

#30 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,611 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 24 September 2016 - 12:08 PM

db9

#31 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 24 September 2016 - 12:29 PM

The tt rs is a far better sports car to the rs3 but that engine is epic New ecu / dsg combo will bounce off limiter and drop clog in demand which os a big step forward to other dsg setups Lot of work on the new tt RS engine with weight saving also Get a stg1 revo map on it, 400odd bhp and goes like it should 😎 DG

#32 denno

denno

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:29 PM

As a toy I'd be looking at Exige V6, Cayman/ boxter S, F-type v8, slk 55amg, Tvr t350, depends if you want new/ nearly new or more riskier older purchase. Would be fun testing them all though! It can but said of most 'sports cars' but the likes of the r8 and 911 Turbo is getting into pontential money pit territory to maintain. The other cars mentioned besides the tvr could all be had with warranty remaining.

#33 Tfp

Tfp

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 05:31 PM

Visited Audi today and they don't have much info yet about the TTRS.

They couldn't tell me how much the important options would be, and couldn't tell me how much Sepang blue would be. £51,800 for the base car sounds ok, but if I've got to pay another £5000+ in options I reckon that starts to look expensive for an Audi TT , although it does have supercar performance.

I think I'm swinging towards a newer car rather than something older, I already have a low mileage Z3 in the garage which is a keeper.

I wish I could afford a Cayman GT4

#34 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 06:10 PM

Shame the dealer visited had such little info to provide. Sure there is some public info confirmed and available for bed time reading.....going Ali block from steel along with lightened crank etc is pretty serious stuff to get a chunk of weight down A go in latest rs3 may give you a flavour knowing it will be quicker and more focused once the tt arrives For £50k I would sell you my 2016 spec almost new rs3 powered mid engine rwd Renault 5 😉.......well maybe Nut and bolt custom rebuild so kinda new lol You can see I have a thing for Audi performance engines 😊 DG

#35 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 06:35 PM

Donkervoort just for the name http://www.donkervoo...t-d8-gt-2008-2/

#36 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 09:05 PM

Finally managed a drive in an R8 today. Cross that one off the list. Quick thing but literally a golf with rocket boosters. My Cayman is not as quick but has a lot more feel and the steering particularly is much more detailed and weighted better.

#37 Tfp

Tfp

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 09:11 PM

Finally managed a drive in an R8 today. Cross that one off the list. Quick thing but literally a golf with rocket boosters. My Cayman is not as quick but has a lot more feel and the steering particularly is much more detailed and weighted better.

I've always wondered how the R8 would be, I'm also worried the TTRS will feel a bit ordinary, although I think the sound it makes would be fun.

I'm now looking strongly at Cayman GTS models, I can't spend enough for a GT4

#38 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 11:44 PM

Cayman with porker turbo engine and cage raises my interest DG

#39 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 06:53 AM

I've always wondered how the R8 would be, I'm also worried the TTRS will feel a bit ordinary, although I think the sound it makes would be fun.   I'm now looking strongly at Cayman GTS models, I can't spend enough for a GT4
GTS is probably better for road driving anyway. I almost had a moment of madness and ordered one new. The same spec as my 987 was 74k which I realised I don't have. My 987 is a wonderful thing and each new car I try is reinforcing this view. On the 981 there's not a lot of difference in a GTS over a standard S but I think the GTS will fair better for depreciation over the longer term.

#40 denno

denno

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:06 AM

Definately Cayman gts over the ttrs, £50k plus on a tt, no thanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users