• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#61 Tfp

Tfp

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 09:38 PM

when i took one for a spin i was like... is this it?!

v10s are meant to be night and day better.

Ok, I might put a V10 back on the shopping list then.

I'll have to go and get a closer look at one and have a peek at the forums.

#62 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 25 September 2016 - 10:15 PM

Get a test drive in as many variants as you can. Did you rule out the V6 Exige?

#63 Ali87

Ali87

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 11:30 PM

I had a shot in a 911 turbo on one of those groupon things. Was nice to drive but would have been much better if I fitted in it. Knees were wedged under the steering wheel and it wasn't adjustable 😕

#64 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:36 AM

V8 R8 ain't slow but it's not very torquey.

#65 Tfp

Tfp

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:46 PM

Now I know why many people call main dealers "stealers"

Went into my local dealership today to sell the wife's Tiguan which we bought from them new, done only 13,000 miles.

They're retailing for around £19,000 to £20,000

They offered me £9,000 

They did come after me as I was about to drive away, said they'd made a mistake, but I'm not so sure, I think they were trying to have my pants down.

#66 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:52 PM

V8 R8 ain't slow but it's not very torquey.

the v8 r8 definitely left me very disappointed with it, was also not impressed with the interior, although it might have been a fairly standard one..

#67 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:54 PM

I think dealers will generally try and make about 30% gain on px they put on their forecourt. That was certainly the margin on one of my late dad's cars that he px'd when it subsequently appeared for sale.

#68 Madmitch

Madmitch

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:34 AM

I think dealers will generally try and make about 30% gain on px they put on their forecourt. That was certainly the margin on one of my late dad's cars that he px'd when it subsequently appeared for sale.

It might start out looking like that but by the time it's been through the workshop for check or service, shouldered it's share of the advertising budget, been chipped on sale price, paid the salesman's commission, subsidised the overpriced part ex etc etc and then the dealer has to pay VAT on the difference between the purchase price and the sale price - not the profit which is much less - there is not much left!  

#69 Madmitch

Madmitch

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:40 AM

Mate of mine had an R8 V8 and liked it but found it just a bit dull so it was sold and replaced by a McLaren which he says he is still learning to drive.  Have been involved with loads of Porsches over the years and love them but would never buy one as I have seen at first hand just how much they can cost to run.  Jetpilot suggested a Honda NSX, I drove one a few years back and though it was brilliant, beautifully engineered and sweet to drive.  The Mrs would be happy to drive it and it's a keeper.   

#70 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:18 AM

Pre 2009 Porsches are made of cheese. The running costs are not VXer friendly it has to be said. Mine has cost a couple of grand this year in tyres and suspension bits. The exhaust nuts have corroded as well so that will take a day of workshop time from us this week. Some of these are niggles left over from previous owners so I hope that things will quiet down for me on this car next year. My bigger worry is the aircooled one. Just need it not to expire for the next few months while we are painting it. 

#71 Tfp

Tfp

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 06:35 PM

I'm wondering whether the 0-60 time of 3.7 secs is down partly to the clever launch system it has, in all of the reviews I've seen so far none of them are talking about massive mid range grunt, although I'm sure it's not slow. But they are saying it's supercar quick, would it really outpace a supercar from 50mph upwards?

This has been playing on my mind about the TTRS so I've tried a little experiment to try and see how fast it really is aside from a clever launch and a 60mph sprint.

So I've been on youtube clip showing the speedometer whilst the car is launched and driven up to high speed.

With my stopwatch which I'm sure is not that accurate, and me being 45 so my reactions probably not what they used to be, I came up with the following rough times.

0 to 100mph takes 8 seconds

0 to 137mph 15 seconds

Now if I'm anywhere near correct that's pretty damn quick isn't it?

They still can't price the options for the car yet so I'm in limbo

#72 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 06:36 PM

I'm waiting for my mate to buy a ttrs looking forward to seeing what it's like

#73 Tfp

Tfp

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 06:42 PM

I'm waiting for my mate to buy a ttrs looking forward to seeing what it's like

I have to say I am really quite tempted with it over a Cayman, just hope at entry price it'll have a half decent spec/interior, if the price gets near 60k with options them I'm really not interested.

I think a late Cayman with the 6 cylinder lump will hold it's money reasonably well, I guess the TTRS will lose at least 12k in the first year of ownership, maybe more depending on how many sell.

#74 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 06:52 PM

TTRS or the previous generation one at least have the typical issue most bigger cars have. They are ballistically quick but no steering feel and just boring after a week. The only properly engaging bigger Sportscars I've ever driven are the 911/Cayman and Evora

#75 Tfp

Tfp

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:25 PM

TTRS or the previous generation one at least have the typical issue most bigger cars have. They are ballistically quick but no steering feel and just boring after a week. The only properly engaging bigger Sportscars I've ever driven are the 911/Cayman and Evora

Yup, I've read/heard that quite a bit now,many of the road tests say the same.

I'ts great to get input from you, and such a knowledgeable bunch, so I thank you all greatly.

I suppose I'm not the usual sports car driver, I like to have it there, but don't often use it. 

I think I'm the only one that used to get 32mpg average in my 225 mrk 1 TT

Edited by Tfp, 27 September 2016 - 07:26 PM.

#76 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:35 PM

lol I get 30mpg out of my 330d :lol:

#77 Tfp

Tfp

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:43 PM

lol I get 30mpg out of my 330d :lol:

Haha, yes they do go rather well, was shocked when I first drove one.

#78 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:47 PM

Remap makes everything better! 280bhp 580nm :tt:

Edited by The Batman, 27 September 2016 - 07:48 PM.

#79 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:23 PM

I'm wondering whether the 0-60 time of 3.7 secs is down partly to the clever launch system it has, in all of the reviews I've seen so far none of them are talking about massive mid range grunt, although I'm sure it's not slow. But they are saying it's supercar quick, would it really outpace a supercar from 50mph upwards?    

This has been playing on my mind about the TTRS so I've tried a little experiment to try and see how fast it really is aside from a clever launch and a 60mph sprint.   So I've been on youtube clip showing the speedometer whilst the car is launched and driven up to high speed.   With my stopwatch which I'm sure is not that accurate, and me being 45 so my reactions probably not what they used to be, I came up with the following rough times.   0 to 100mph takes 8 seconds   0 to 137mph 15 seconds   Now if I'm anywhere near correct that's pretty damn quick isn't it?   They still can't price the options for the car yet so I'm in limbo
If you want me to hook up the race logic box to a 2016 spec rs3 happy to record data on normal non launch control etc. All options fitted but std map.......currently 😊 DG

#80 Tfp

Tfp

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:29 PM

If you want me to hook up the race logic box to a 2016 spec rs3 happy to record data on normal non launch control etc. All options fitted but std map.......currently 😊 DG

Ah that'd be great, would be interesting to know the times with out launch control.

My Audi dealer has suggested I test drive the RS3 as they have a demonstrator, he said it's the closest they have to what the TTRS will be like.

Narrowed the choice down to two cars now, TTRS or Cayman GTS budget 55ish

So I guess I'm wondering if the Cayman had a similar mid range performance than the TTRS will have, I won't be doing launch control runs in the car anyhow.

Edited by Tfp, 27 September 2016 - 08:31 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users