151 replies to this topic

#1 hughcam

hughcam

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Interests:driving, motorcycling, snowboarding, v12 lawn mowers

Posted 31 October 2016 - 09:18 PM

I know a few of you on the forum have migrated to the dark side to an Exige V6...

A few questions:

What deals/discounts did you manage to get from the dealers and did any of you chose to buy on a PCP deal?

if purchased on PCP what GMFV values did you get on a new/newish car?

I am looking to put down circa 10-12k and finance the rest. If a sub £40k car came I would probably get a bank loan but the supply seems to have dried up of the cheaper cars 

There is an almost new club racer at Hexagon modern classics that I like the look of and might take the plunge if its still sat there in Jan...

#2 Luke84

Luke84

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 11:50 PM

That yellow CR at hexagon is a lovely thing. I was fairly set on it until I drove a 350 and had to have the new box. Plenty deals to be had, snows in Southampton in particular have been putting up some pretty punchy deals in recent weeks. Bought mine on 50/50 in the end, was going to go outright but for the discount they offered me without this I'm better off using the capital elsewhere for a couple of years.

#3 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:27 AM

I would suggest having an extended test drive in one first. They arent actually that good IMO. Couple of seloc chaps have gone back to S2 although it seems to be all hush hush!

#4 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:49 AM

I would suggest having an extended test drive in one first. They arent actually that good IMO. Couple of seloc chaps have gone back to S2 although it seems to be all hush hush!

Really?

What exactly is the prob - too much weight ?

#5 hughcam

hughcam

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:13 AM

I know we were chatting about this the other week. Problem is there aren't many s2 exiges I would spend the money on. At the moment all the drab colours are for sale or they are a bit leggy for £25-35k. If a sub 30k miles Orange/krypton/aubergine came on the market in the new year for a sensible price I would have a dabble. Or a cup 260 might sway me. Otherwise the v6 cars look tremendous value...

#6 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:42 AM

http://classifieds.s...o-20-very-rare/

Buy this. Own as long as you like. Sell for the same money or more. A known car, very well looked after. Rarer than a Cup 260

#7 hughcam

hughcam

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:09 AM

http://classifieds.s...o-20-very-rare/   Buy this. Own as long as you like. Sell for the same money or more. A known car, very well looked after. Rarer than a Cup 260

Yep its a nice car but even though I do quite a few trackdays the cage would put me off for road use. The colour is also too drab for me

#8 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:12 AM

I'm in early negotiations to get the 240 cup back I sold last year. Same colour as the one above but the road version. It will be one for me to hang onto that one. The one in the link above has been for sake for over 12 months. A reasonable offer would take it I reckon. We sold ours for 30k and it was lower mileage and a wider market with no front cage.

#9 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 09:17 AM

I do love those proper cup cars cage and all, one of the few S2's I'd consider.  

#10 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 01 November 2016 - 09:31 AM

I wouldn't mind a drive in an S2 Exige to see how it lives up to all the hype, I bet they are as nimble as a randy squirrel !

Edited by Nev, 01 November 2016 - 09:39 AM.

#11 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,611 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:18 AM

Nev, tragic understeer and quite heavy

#12 hughcam

hughcam

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:31 AM

Would have thought the understeer would be a easy remedy of wider front wheel/tyre and an agressive geo?

#13 JG

JG

• 13,611 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:48 AM

Yeah, I had to remove 3 shims either side to go from 0 to -1.5 degrees camber. It removed all the understeer. S2s are really lovely but they are torqueless screamers. Very nice but even more limited than the v6 in terms of providing that really brilliant drive. V6 is a really nice compromise, since thats what all cars are anyway. Though I'd still like a bit more torque. They'll take a bit of a bashing for a while, s2s will be better etc etc and then Everyone will want one when they are no longer available. Whatever you do, you won't lose a lot of money, even if you buy new.

#14 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 11:42 AM

You can't beat an S1

#15 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 11:55 AM

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be either :)

#16 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 11:55 AM

S2 is a future classic in the making. They have maybe more than enough of the rough edge of the S1 shaved off. They are the right side of practical but are magical to drive. They are a bit low on torque thats a common problem for all Lotus cars including the V6 when you consider the displacement and SC. Big killer on the V6 is the gearing. Why on earth they could fit a lower final drive I think it would be transformative but its a big job to do. Other than that I'm afraid they are just too big and heavy for me. I wanted to want one but always came away from them thinking they are a handsome car with great road presence but at some point in the process the fun factor has been pulled out of it. 

#17 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 12:34 PM

I presume you are referring to the V6 Exige. If so, is that low speed understeer around sharp bends (eg roundabouts) or high speed understeer around smooth sweeping bends ?

Seems strange to let them out of the factory with such a deficiency.

I just looked them up, apparently the S3 Exige is only 1080 Kg, not too bad - I presumed it would be a lot more than that.

Edited by Nev, 01 November 2016 - 12:41 PM.

#18 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,510 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 01 November 2016 - 12:41 PM

I like the grown up feel to the v6, its modern and has more of a feel about it. 

I don't miss the VX / older gen type cars for sure 

And all this talk of understeer, god knows how you lot are driving on the road but Ive had no issues so far... our MG.. now that HAS understeer (more so in the wet)

Edited by mbes2, 01 November 2016 - 12:43 PM.

#19 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 01 November 2016 - 12:43 PM

I got a drive in a 240 Cup around Hethel when they were first launched along with a tour of the factory. If I'd had the money I'd have bought one.

#20 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 12:49 PM

Seems strange to let them out of the factory with such a deficiency.

Don't understand what all the fuss is about.

Practically everything left the factory with around 0 degree front camber. (ie understeer)
Why would the Exige V6 be any different?

Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users